Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How much stick time?

How often do you fly fpv?

• every day

• couple times a week

• weekends mostly

• limited flying

• sim time counts

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm forcing myself to only fly gates and courses on the sim to help hone in my precision flying. I do more freestyle flying in the fields

I have been watching FPV Academy videos on the basics and after that, I plan to focus flying in the garage to force myself to fly lower. At the moment (on Liftoff) I can trace the track but it's rare that I can thread more than a couple of gates per lap and seldom more than one or two consecutively.

I have been watching FPV Academy videos on the basics and after that, I plan to focus flying in the garage to force myself to fly lower. At the moment (on Liftoff) I can trace the track but it's rare that I can thread more than a couple of gates per lap and seldom more than one or two consecutively.
Keep in mind that's normal...I did just that for a week or 2 honestly... It was just Saturday that I could complete a lap without crashing.... Seriously. And literally within a couple hours of practice I went from an almost 3 min lap through the gates to a 40 second lap... Next thing you know it was a 30 second even lap... Baby steps buddy

But I can share my exact setup on liftoff if you want to try my rates... When I get home tonight I'll boot it up and take a couple pics and send it to you.

Reactions: Torc
That would be cool. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the PID and rates, so see others set-ups helps.

But I can share my exact setup on liftoff if you want to try my rates... When I get home tonight I'll boot it up and take a couple pics and send it to you.

I have heard RDS (?) and Liftoff.

The question is, which will work best on your system? Freerider zips on my system, Liftoff can be slow loading but flies good, and the third doesn't do well at all.

which is the best looking one right now?

Reactions: theGreenOrange
which is the best looking one right now?
the big 3 are fpv freerider, velocidrone, and lift off

I Own velocidrone and liftoff personally. I do not at all like velocidrone, and the licensing was a little goffy to get working after purchasing it. I didnt care for the fpv freerider demo, but it did fly ok. I use liftoff as my go to. I like the way it runs and it looks great as well

I came to FR via android shortly after I was given my first quad. I later installed it later on my PC when I decided I wanted to get better at flying and used a USB gamepad. Once I bit the bullet and bought my Taranis I got Liftoff.

I find that my ability to fly is far better in Freerider than Liftoff. I can thread gates more frequently and have better overall control but I am focusing on Liftoff because it is more difficult

all i have is laptops and none provide decent graphics. im stuck withough i guess but my 3" quad is so robust that "charge n FLY" is just a blade change away after any crash. the 2" is even more tough and let's me get stick time indoors.
back in the day, i used real flight for helli practice as there truly is no room for error there.

Reactions: Wayno52
nothing "hones your skills" better than a good adrenaline rush. i don't get that from a sim. muscle memory is what a sim gives you... kinda.
i def wont argue the point because you are right 100%... however, the alternate side of that is nothing destroys a quad faster than an adrenaline rush when you're not ready for it yet as a pilot....LOL

I felt 150% more confident after flying on a sim first and foremost. I have no doubt in my mind I saved myself heartache and money by crashing in the game rather than trashing my $400 quad. I spent 8 hours logged into the sim before I ever put a battery in my quad, and because of that I also flew the first pack without a single hiccup or incident.

Reactions: Torc
all i have is laptops and none provide decent graphics. im stuck withough i guess but my 3" quad is so robust that "charge n FLY" is just a blade change away after any crash. the 2" is even more tough and let's me get stick time indoors.
back in the day, i used real flight for helli practice as there truly is no room for error there.
i have 2 machines I use for liftoff... I have one here at work I'll log into during lunch on occasion (im the network admin so I have extra machines from time to time) and its not impressive at all. On it I have to run the quality down pretty low and it still looks fine, its just not got as much detail in the individual aspects of trees and whatnot. But liftoff runs great after I went down a tad. On my PC at home its got a 4gb video and 64gb ram so i run it on the "beautiful" setting. I believe thats what they call it, which is their highest setting

i guess I'm a special case (in many ways lol) as i work 70hrs a week sitting in front of computers from home here. the last thing i want is to "fly" in front of one when taking a break. to each his own, that's why its a poll ( :
getting my four batteries in a day is like my sanity check. makes for some great lunch breaks and if i get time to do it that'd mean the day is going well at work. something to work for...
i see huge value, if your just starting to fly, in putting in sim time. ive held rc transmitters since '77 so.. different experience is all.

Reactions: VirtueViolater
i guess I'm a special case (in many ways lol) as i work 70hrs a week sitting in front of computers from home here. the last thing i want is to "fly" in front of one when taking a break. to each his own, that's why its a poll ( :
getting my four batteries in a day is like my sanity check. makes for some great lunch breaks and if i get time to do it that'd mean the day is going well at work. something to work for...
i see huge value, if your just starting to fly, in putting in sim time. ive held rc transmitters since '77 so.. different experience is all.
Use your goggles with your sim for that awesome immersion experience

my awesome immersion experience today was that there was allot of foot terrific along the lake so i had to keep her high outside the yard and tight moves inside my airspace. my son sucks as a spotter... sigh
only two batteries burned today he got the other two that were charged. epic

Use your goggles with your sim for that awesome immersion experience
I've actually tried a couple Sims on my best system. f that!!! i need a better system or its a waste of time or maybe sims don't compare? my son asked for a better system back when drl had that competion going, but id rather spend on batteries or something! better the rush of risking the tv's with the 2" flying inside, or just fly outside risking neighbours wrath. this is a hobby with risks. $$$ until your really flying, your not flying.... but even the best military pilots use simulators.
this thread isn't about simulators. but it still stick time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az.lonewolf81