Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Getting into fpv

Stoked4

Reaction score
Hey all
I’m new to the forum and to the drone community
I’ve been flying 3D helis for about 7 years
Unfortunately I lost my heli and was unable to recover it
I’ve invested a lot of time and money into the hobby
I’ve been watching videos and reading about the FPV drones, and it looks like something I would definitely like to get involved in, when I got into the helicopters I build my own so when it crashed it was very easy to fix
I was looking at the arris 220 v2arris 250b. Cant really see the difference between the two besides the b has gps
I also have a bunch of 11.1v 3s lipos left from the heli
I know goggles are needed too. I’m having some trouble finding what else I need with the goggles( antennas module or other attachments)
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Welcome @Stoked4, it really depends on what you get. Some goggles come with receivers and even antenna(s), some don't. There are always upgraded antenna(s) that can be used to improve performance a bit, but like I said, it all depends. What is your budget and what are you considering? Then I could tell you what I would suggest.

Reactions: Wayno52
Welcome @Stoked4, it really depends on what you get. Some goggles come with receivers and even antenna(s), some don't. There are always upgraded antenna(s) that can be used to improve performance a bit, but like I said, it all depends. What is your budget and what are you considering? Then I could tell you what I would suggest.

Thanks for
The reply
I have about $700 total for a quad and goggles
Looking at the fat shark or maybe aomway?
Unless there’s better ones for not so much $$?
I’d like to stay away from the box goggles
I’d also like to get something that can record my flights and something that I wouldn’t have to upgrade later on
A one and done kinda thing

Last edited:
Hi stoked, take a look at this.
Not saying buy it without thought but it looks pretty good and guys on here that have the arris seem to like it.

ARRIS C250 V2 FPV Racing Drone RTF with Aomway Commander V1 FPV Goggle Boundle|CA0144|Drones with Goggles Combo

I saw this one
I think if I went 250 I’d get the one with gps
I’ve read the smaller 5” quads are more agile
Any proof to this?

I have a feeling once I get one and love the hobby I’ll be building my own

Last edited:
Would I need a module for these?
No you would not need a module for these, they are a great set of goggles, and the only thing I would do is possibly upgrade the patch antenna on them after a bit.
Just like you don't see a sports car the size of a tractor trailer truck, smaller is generally more agile to a certain point. A 5" quad is the gold standard for this hobby but smaller quads like 2-3-4 inch make smaller areas more flyable and have much of the same feel as a bigger 5".

No you would not need a module for these, they are a great set of goggles, and the only thing I would do is possibly upgrade the patch antenna on them after a bit.
Just like you don't see a sports car the size of a tractor trailer truck, smaller is generally more agile to a certain point. A 5" quad is the gold standard for this hobby but smaller quads like 2-3-4 inch make smaller areas more flyable and have much of the same feel as a bigger 5".

Yes
That’s why I’m leaning towards the 220
Only reason the 250b was in he list was because the return to home feature

I think I just made a decision
the 220
I see The operating voltage says 7.4-18.0 volts
Does that mean I can use any Lipo in that range?
I have a handful of 3s 11.1v lipos from my heli I’d love to be able to use

Yes you can use your 3s lipos, and if they are XT60 connectors it will be plug and play, if not you will need to change connectors on (I would suggest) the batteries.
I think you will want to get into 4s pretty quickly tho as the higher voltage makes for more umph!

Yes you can use your 3s lipos, and if they are XT60 connectors it will be plug and play, if not you will need to change connectors on (I would suggest) the batteries.
I think you will want to get into 4s pretty quickly tho as the higher voltage makes for more umph![/QUOT
Yea
I have deans on there now
Nbd to change them
It seems like the 4s batteries are way cheaper than the ones I have
I think I was spending $45 each battery

Which radio should I go with
I’ve been using the spectrum dx6i but I think it’ll be a PITA to make it work with the drone
There’s the Frsky Taranis Q X7
And the radiolink AT9

I think the only choices that make sense are the qx7 for price but I would look for a qx7s or maybe an x-lite or splurge and get the Flysky nirvana dark knight. These things price and features are designed to make it a toss up but Frsky is still the (hated) leader.

I think the only choices that make sense are the qx7 for price but I would look for a qx7s or maybe an x-lite or splurge and get the Flysky nirvana dark knight. These things price and features are designed to make it a toss up but Frsky is still the (hated) leader.

Ok
I was only looking at the combo deals
I’ll look into maybe getting the TX separately
I pinch the co trolls so I think the “PlayStation style” I know that’s not what it’s called
is out

Last edited:
If you can get the qx7 in a package deal for a decent price it is almost a no brainer, the only diff is the battery and gimbals which are not a deal breaker, but I would see if any have a tx upgrade to the S model to get those 2 things if I could but many pros use the qx7 and just mod the battery or use rechargeables and maybe replace the gimbals but I think the 7s is the way to go if you can as the rechargeable battery pack and the gimbals would put it in a similar price range of the s model. IMHO

Ok
I was only looking at the combo deals
I’ll look into maybe getting the TX separately
If you can get the qx7 in a package deal for a decent price it is almost a no brainer, the only diff is the battery and gimbals which are not a deal breaker, but I would see if any have a tx upgrade to the S model to get those 2 things if I could but many pros use the qx7 and just mod the battery or use rechargeables and maybe replace the gimbals but I think the 7s is the way to go if you can as the rechargeable battery pack and the gimbals would put it in a similar price range of the s model. IMHO
ok I’ll sound like a total noob here
But what do you mean by gimbals?

The sticks, are attached to the gimbals, better ones use what is called Hall Effect and last much longer than stock ones, have a little less jitter, and are smoother.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18