Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

FPV verses camera drone

pedz

Reaction score
Website
why-not-photography.smugmug.com
I’ve owned and still own various “camera drones” such as the DJI Mavic 3 Cine. I also have a DJI Avata but I’ve only flown it (so far) with the motion controller. I have the FPV controller but I’ve yet to play with it.

I’m wanting to buy or build a Cinelifter drone that can carry my Canon camera and perhaps my Ronin gimbal. I am getting the impression that flying that drone is much different than the drones I’ve been flying. Will flying my Avata with the FPV Controller (and in the right mode — I forget what they call it) be a good way to train and see how a “real” FPV drone flies? Or… am I hopelessly confused. 🤔. If so, please point me in the right direction(s).

I would suggest training in a simulator (liftoff or velocidrone) for a bit to get and idea what flying manual fpv is like. The Avata is a nice drone to start with because it has many safety features to help an inexperienced pilot out. Flying manual with no altitude hold or gps positioning is a different animal. Again, I suggest flying in a simulator for a bit learning how to fly in angle mode and horizon and quickly switch to full manual (acro) mode flying. Then once you feel good taking off and successfully landing, try the Avata out in full manual with the FPV controller 2.

A drone that can carry the gear you're looking to fly around will be expensive and the gear is expensive. It would be a shame to wreck it all on your first flight. Flying a non DJI FPV drone that can do what you're looking to do is a completely different experience from what you've done to date. Simulators are you friend.

Thank you. I am familiar with RC planes a little. I’ve flown sail planes. My RC powered airplanes never worked because of frequency problems at the time (this was in the 1970s).

I will definitely practice a lot before flying the rig. One objective is the type of movies I want to make are not the typical FPV movies. I want to make VR movies and so I want to be able to go places like down a quiet river in a smooth and steady way. I’m hoping I can determine if my fantasy is possible with gear like a Cinelifter (I guess that is what they are called… I’m still not clear on what is what, etc but I have plenty of time to learn.)

E.g. a 4s or 6s or 12s appears to be a battery with 4, 6, or 12 batteries in serial. Another question that seems hard to find is how much can a particular build safely lift. I don’t want to buy something and then discover it doesn’t have enough thrust to lift my gear.

I definitely need to walk very slowly into this. Lots of stuff is very different and expensive.

I want to make VR movies and so I want to be able to go places like down a quiet river in a smooth and steady way.
That sounds like the kind of stuff your mavic is perfect for.

That sounds like the kind of stuff your mavic is perfect for.
Yes, but I can't mount my camera with a dual fisheye lens. I'm wanting to mount a Canon R5C with Canon's dual fisheye 180 VR lens. I've LOVE to find another camera that has the VR lens and simplify all of this but no one is doing that as far as I can find.

So... effectively what would be utopia is something like the new Inspire but with a VR lens.

The R5C also has 8K raw at 60 fps. I don't know if I'll need that but I'm guessing as technology improves, the VR headsets like Oculus will improve and be able to support 4K 60 fps.

Drone wise, to fly a DSLR camera you're likely looking at something like this: Taurus X8 V3 O3 6S HD Cinelifter. The payload looks about right but you're not flying with a Ronin attached. If the Canon you have reports out gyro data you could use gyroflow to stabilize in post.

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost, remember to fly in the simulator. it is recommended to use sims like liftoff before flying. Then, train with the avata as it is a prop-guarded. After you feel comfortable you can either step up to a 5inch or just directly to a cinelifter.

Yes, but I can't mount my camera with a dual fisheye lens. I'm wanting to mount a Canon R5C with Canon's dual fisheye 180 VR lens. I've LOVE to find another camera that has the VR lens and simplify all of this but no one is doing that as far as I can find.

So... effectively what would be utopia is something like the new Inspire but with a VR lens.

The R5C also has 8K raw at 60 fps. I don't know if I'll need that but I'm guessing as technology improves, the VR headsets like Oculus will improve and be able to support 4K 60 fps.
Inspire 3 with a insta 360 on top LOL

Reactions: pedz
😊 My son keeps asking me about that type of camera.

I’d love to get an Inspire 3 but $$$$!!!!$$$$.
I have an Inspire 1 X5R and purchased a DJI fpv air unit (original) with an eachine camera I got really cheap , I think it was either just under or just over $100, to use as a pilot camera or just hve fun using the goggles. However I still have to make a living and I havent connetcted it. However I did get a regular LIPO setup for the bird that nets about 20 minute flight, not bad, but I aint boasting ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18