Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Mockup of the newest bird...

Uh oh. I am hesitant to switch to the Skitzo with that going on. It sounds like the bolt is the main issue though and I am not using that.

Jerry, does RF1 not have a GUI similar to betaflight after you finish the wizards?

Green,

Yes, definately the Bolt. The Revolt v2 may be a very good board. I guess I just figured using the Bolt with the Revolt together would be the most compatible and consistent setup.

No, not that I'm aware. The RF1 interface is just the wizards with a few very minimal tabs that let you do a some very basic settings. It's nothing like BetaFlight, which I think is what they were trying to achieve. They wanted to make it simple and it is. It's just too simple for an amateur like me, I guess. Even on the Radio setup you have to know what actual channel your switches are on to set them up. I like to turn on the motor stop in BF, you can't do that in the RF1 interface. You probably can through the CLI but not in the GUI. A lot of little things like that.

I'm not knocking RF, I'm not experienced enough to do so. I'm just soured over this whole fiasco.

Jerry

That sounds lame, I figured you would be able to tweak whatever the wizards did in GUI. How do you choose your ESC protocols and stuff like that? CLI only?

Virtue,

You know I love ya, Man and I know you (and many others) love RaceFlight and RS1 but I'm about done with it. I was about as **** as I've been to date with this build. I tried to do everything as meticulous as possible. I really spent the time to make sure everything was done correctly and that every solder joint was clean and thorough.

I won't make you suffer through the whole story but this bird ain't gonna fly, at least not on RaceFlight. Apparently, there is something wrong with the ESC board. ESC 4 to be exact. It looks like I can take another gamble and get an Ardunio Nano programmer to try and see if I can bring this thing back to life but I'm not sure I'm up to chasing down another gremlin

The whole thing was just a big setback for me. I can't even tell you how many hours I have invested in this thing. There comes a point where you've got to cut your losses and move on, I think I have hit that point. I was super excited about this product line but I'm now soured.

I am glad that it's working out for you and you're enjoying it but I think I'm going to stick with the BFF F3 for a while. I'm not looking forward to gutting this bueatiful build and starting from scratch but I think that's my best bet.

Jerry

(Just venting my frustrations from lack of sleep over this thing!)
cant say i blame you, that being said, i would advise you to replace the bolt and use some normal 30a esc's. as you know im not a fan of 4 n 1 esc's. raceflight is new and pretty much still in beta but theres some good things in store for fr1 including cellphone gui's. the revo v2 is awesome but the bolt is brand new and im scared of it myself. my advice is STAY AWAY FROM 4 N 1 ESC'S

Reactions: Keifie and Jtrjr
That sounds lame, I figured you would be able to tweak whatever the wizards did in GUI. How do you choose your ESC protocols and stuff like that? CLI only?
the set up process is automated including updating esc's, its normally very easy
also in the rf1 manual, the cli commands are all listed. the gui for rf1 is ground breaking imo
also you can change protocal in gui or cli

Last edited:
i geuss im missing something on the 4 n 1 esc. ive heard it makes a cleaner build but seems to me it makes a thicker stack and definately sux to have to replace all when 1 is bad

btw, there is a gui in rf1

Last edited:
Virtue,

I get there is a GUI in RF1 but it's quite different than the original RF interface which was more like the BetaFlight GUI. Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible) anytime you open RF1 it takes you to the Wizard screen, Correct? I don't see anything that even resembles the BF interface in the new RF1 GUI. Am I missing something?

Jerry

Reactions: theGreenOrange
Virtue,

I get there is a GUI in RF1 but it's quite different than the original RF interface which was more like the BetaFlight GUI. Unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible) anytime you open RF1 it takes you to the Wizard screen, Correct? I don't see anything that even resembles the BF interface in the new RF1 GUI. Am I missing something?

Jerry

Very curious to learn this as well. I don't see any screenshots on Google images.

Green,

As I said earlier, there are several tabs within RF1 that give you the ability to change PID's and some settings but not nearly as vast as BF. I should really let Virtue answer these questions, I may not know what I'm talking about. All I know is I was up until 4:30am the day before yesterday and 2:30am this morning so everything about my experience is a blur now.

Jerry

Jerry, have you noticed theres more tabs other than the ones you use to set up?
i didnt notice them at first, altho it is much different
the configurator will have new firmware versions as it progresses just like cf and bf

Last edited:
Virtue,

Yeah, the 4-5 tabs on the wizard page, the opening screen? I looked everything over and over again. I found the tabs unless you're talking about other ones. I couldn't even figure out how to initiate a beeper on a failsafe power down. On all of my quads I set it up so if I power off the radio it goes into failsafe and the beeper automatically initiates. I couldn't do that in the GUI, all I could do was set-up a beeper switch. Normally, when I crash any distance from me I shut of the radio (failsafe, beeper starts cycling) and unplug my goggles. I then walk off without my gear and locate the bird by the failsafe beeper that continues until I unplug the battery.

Jerry

Reactions: Keifie
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to turn your radio off before you unplug your battery you know it could possibly cause a Fly Away but I just arm my beeper to a switch and leave xmitter on until I find my quad. I also carry it with me because sometimes I can watch my battery voltage for my receiver and when I get close to the bird I start reading receiver battery voltage on my transmitter

Virtue,

There won't be a fly away. It's a process called failsafe for just that reason. The failsafe procedure is to do just that, turn your radio off and the failsafe process is initiated. The beeper is just an additional aspect of the process.

Also, on the bird that doesn't have the beeper I do exactly the same thing as you described with two exceptions. I initiate a failsafe by turning my radio off, I then power it back up, take it with me and use the RSSI signal to get me closer to the bird. However, the beeper makes things much easier.

Jerry

Reactions: Keifie
That is a very good idea Jerry...although the battery has to still be intact. I hung my bird in a tree about 25 or 30ft up and the beeper could only be heard from a particular angle...i need a loud beeper! With my losing birds and all...!

Keith

Keith,

Yeah, no battery, no beeper! As you can tell from my many posts about it, the beeper is an essential for me. I have swapped a few just for that reason, not loud enough. It's always a PITA to find a place to put them as well.

Jerry

yeah, i know how the failsafe works, i just wouldnt cause my system to intentionally go into failsafe,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az.lonewolf81