Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Mockup of the newest bird...

Jtrjr

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Getting started on another build while the weather sorts itself out. Made some changes already. Going with the QAV-Skitzo frame, RaceFlight Revolt FC, RaceFlight Bolt ESC/PDB with a FrSky XM+ Receiver. I'm going to try to incorporate the Diatone SP3 25/200/600mw VTX with OSD. A Foxeer Arrow V3 and the good old EMax RS2205 2300kv motors. Will attach a GoPro Session to finish it off. Hoping the RF Bolt shows up tomorrow. Should be a pretty clean stack.

Jerry

IMG_5355.JPG IMG_5356.JPG

Reactions: theGreenOrange
Hi Jerry,
I don't know if you have seen this product ...its braided shrink tubing .i don't know where i saw it but it is perfect for those wires .i would use the braid and double side tape the braid to the frame. Its neat and effective. Just an idea.

Keith

Reactions: Jtrjr
Okay, got my second Bolt so I resumed this build today. Wiring this thing cleanly has been a tedious job. First the motor wires were about 1/2" too short. Then I was worried about them "hanging" off the side of the bird. Those two issues made the ESC wiring a real PITA! I think I got it now:

IMG_7843.JPG IMG_7844.JPG IMG_7845.JPG IMG_7846.JPG IMG_7847.JPG IMG_7849.JPG

Next issue was the camera. The Bolt has a bump out on the front of the board. A stock camera mount wouldn't fix because of it. I was able to modify the mount of a Swift Mini to make it fix with a little room:

IMG_7852.JPG IMG_7854.JPG IMG_7855.JPG IMG_7856.JPG

Now I've got another headache, the Bolt requires two caps. The board has pads on it to attach the caps but guess where they are? On the front of the board just behind the camera mounting posts. No room for them there so I'm extending the cap wires for attachment elsewhere. I have no idea where I'm going to put them yet:

(Ran out of room for photos, I'll post another after this one)...

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Hey Jerry,
I am very greatful for all the photos...you area n old hand at this. Very clean, very organized.that thing looks like it is going to absolutely rip.

Keith

Okay, got my second Bolt so I resumed this build today. Wiring this thing cleanly has been a tedious job. First the motor wires were about 1/2" too short. Then I was worried about them "hanging" off the side of the bird. Those two issues made the ESC wiring a real PITA! I think I got it now:

View attachment 832 View attachment 831 View attachment 830 View attachment 829 View attachment 828 View attachment 827

Next issue was the camera. The Bolt has a bump out on the front of the board. A stock camera mount wouldn't fix because of it. I was able to modify the mount of a Swift Mini to make it fix with a little room:

View attachment 833 View attachment 834 View attachment 835 View attachment 836

Now I've got another headache, the Bolt requires two caps. The board has pads on it to attach the caps but guess where they are? On the front of the board just behind the camera mounting posts. No room for them there so I'm extending the cap wires for attachment elsewhere. I have no idea where I'm going to put them yet:

(Ran out of room for photos, I'll post another after this one)...
Why 2 caps and what size? Are you using any LC-filters w/your camera also?

Thanks, Virtue. I actually thought it was going to be easier. That bumpout on the Bolt board and the two caps really messed me up.

Jerry

Keith,

Thanks. I like to share the little bit I have to offer for the next guy that comes along. It's like clipping and extending the caps with wire, I would have never thought of that, I picked it up from someone else.

Jerry

Keifie,

I'm not sure why they wanted two caps. They sent them with the Bolt board. They're 25v 470uf. I hadn't planned on an LC Filter but it ain't over yet! I haven't used one on any of my other builds and haven't had any issues yet.

Jerry

Well the Bird is now complete. It's definately one of my cleanest builds:

IMG_7863.JPG

However, I'm not exceptionally impressed with it. On its first maiden flights it flies very well. I can definately "feel" a difference from the F4 chip and the RF "magic". It's a very smooth flight and seems very locked in. That's kind of where it ends for me though. It doesn't seem to have the power and speed that some of my other quads have. I haven't flown it enough to know for sure if that's true. And for whatever reason , it's very lacking in both video and radio range. Probably half that of my other quads. The video issue may be the Diatone SP3, I put the newer version in my GT2 and I'm having issues with that one as well. The radio range makes no sense as I'm using the same XSR that I'm using in many of my other quads.

Jerry

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Well the Bird is now complete. It's definately one of my cleanest builds:

View attachment 843

However, I'm not exceptionally impressed with it. On its first maiden flights it flies very well. I can definately "feel" a difference from the F4 chip and the RF "magic". It's a very smooth flight and seems very locked in. That's kind of where it ends for me though. It doesn't seem to have the power and speed that some of my other quads have. I haven't flown it enough to know for sure if that's true. And for whatever reason , it's very lacking in both video and radio range. Probably half that of my other quads. The video issue may be the Diatone SP3, I put the newer version in my GT2 and I'm having issues with that one as well. The radio range makes no sense as I'm using the same XSR that I'm using in many of my other quads.

Jerry
as far as your power, ive been wondering why you dont use the emax rs2205s motors, they have 20 percent more power for about the same price. these are the motors i use and i love them.

Virtue,

Honestly, I didn't even know about them until you posted this! I ordered 2 sets of 4 this morning after reading your post. That's not the issue though because I'm using these on other quads that seem to be much faster. Thanks for the info!

Jerry

Green,

Yeah, something went funny alright! After my flights I decided to do just that, I went to do the whole setup procedure again. When it got to the ESC update it errored out. I tried it multiple times and it does the same thing. I tried reflashing to the old Raceflight and it works as well but it's showing errors on the ESC's as well. I finally gave up and went flying instead. I'm taking another look at it now.

Jerry

Seems that the first edition of anything raceflight is buggy altho the revo v2 and rf1 is awesome

Virtue,

You know I love ya, Man and I know you (and many others) love RaceFlight and RS1 but I'm about done with it. I was about as **** as I've been to date with this build. I tried to do everything as meticulous as possible. I really spent the time to make sure everything was done correctly and that every solder joint was clean and thorough.

I won't make you suffer through the whole story but this bird ain't gonna fly, at least not on RaceFlight. Apparently, there is something wrong with the ESC board. ESC 4 to be exact. It looks like I can take another gamble and get an Ardunio Nano programmer to try and see if I can bring this thing back to life but I'm not sure I'm up to chasing down another gremlin.

My RF travels have been long and full of potholes. First, I bought two Revolt v1 boards from Banggood thinking I was getting v2. My bad but getting them returned through Banggood isn't worth the effort I'd have to expend. Then I buy two more v2 boards from another vendor and pay out the butt for shipping. I figure I'll keep this first build as clean and consistent as possible so I order two RF Bolts from another vendor who shows them in stock. I receive one and am told that they don't know when they can get me the second one. You guys saw what was wrong with the one I did receive. I canceled the second one and ordered another one from another vendor.

For me RF1 is almost too simple. It's hokey-poke on its UART's and was unable to support MWOSD. Searching for info on it is scattered at best. It doesn't identify any errors, just says there are errors. It doesn't allow any options or flexibility in the GUI at all. I'm sure it does in the CLI but it doesn't in the interface itself.

Information on this stuff is all but lacking. I guess there may be a lot of info on FB or Slack but there is hardly anything on YT or the internet itself. Believe me, I've been down many roads with this thing. I know how to flash this thing with my eyes closed, from the original RaceFlight interface to RF1 and even to BetaFlight. BLHeli doesn't recognize the Bolt board. It even has a nice message that says "sorry, this board isn't supported yet".

The whole thing was just a big setback for me. I can't even tell you how many hours I have invested in this thing. There comes a point where you've got to cut your losses and move on, I think I have hit that point. I was super excited about this product line but I'm now soured.

I am glad that it's working out for you and you're enjoying it but I think I'm going to stick with the BFF F3 for a while. I'm not looking forward to gutting this bueatiful build and starting from scratch but I think that's my best bet.

Jerry

(Just venting my frustrations from lack of sleep over this thing!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az.lonewolf81