Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Need help choosing frsky tx...

baevans11

Reaction score
Im looking to switch from Spektrum to Frsky and I'm just wandering which is really the better choice. The typical choice seems to be the Taranis X9d plus. I guess my question is are their high end tx' s like the horus x12s really worth the money? I've heard some bad things about them like range issues. But frsky says they are their most powerful. I plan to watch more reviews this weekend but I'm just wondering what everyone thinks. My main reason for switching is because spektrum wants an arm and a leg for only 9 channels. Thx for any advice.

Reactions: Jtrjr and CheFPV
FrSky x9d add hall gimbals.

Why?

Spectrum isn't as budget friendly, has some reported range issues, and qx7 is cheaper than x9d but also larger in width and has issues also in power switch been reported.

I've had a x9d for 3+ years and love it.

Great Reciever options and crossfire ready as well as other modules like Spektrum.

Hope I helped.

I got my x9d+ from GetFPV, best price I could find, $189 on sale with a soft case. I really wanted to spend the extra $50 and get the Special Edition because of the antenna mod and the hall effect gimbals but read too many people having trouble blowing their transmitter because of the antenna-antenna connection.
I don't think you can go wrong with FRSky, it's tried and true.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Baevans,

I love my Taranis stuff (X9D+) and use the XSR and the XM+ in most of my builds. The range seems very acceptable to me. I have a few of the new R-XSR's on the way to me now and hope to test sometime next week.

Jerry

I got my x9d+ from GetFPV, best price I could find, $189 on sale with a soft case. I really wanted to spend the extra $50 and get the Special Edition because of the antenna mod and the hall effect gimbals but read too many people having trouble blowing their transmitter because of the antenna-antenna connection.
I don't think you can go wrong with FRSky, it's tried and true.
Thanks. I hate to hear that cause I am really leaning towards the special edition. Hmm I guess I have more research to do.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
With the X9D+ SE, as long as you know your antenna is in good shape and not damaged, AND you NEVER EVER turn on your RC without it attached, you would be in great shape. I suspect those that have had damage were mostly people who didn't baby their antenna and/of forgot to attach it once before power up and poof, blownn tx board.

Reactions: Futuramille
attention to detail when flying is best for sure Pauper. i finger my antenna everytime to be sure its tight before powering up cause it comes lose real easy
and the bigger upgrade antenna is worse at being loose and doesn't fit my case they sent but, its just a thing, something part off my preflight check i guess. not optimal but yup... paying attention helps for sure.

bottom line i think is that for the features the frsky x9d+ SE has you can't beat the price. i still need to crack the case and figure out a better mount for the antenna but its not near bad enough to make me bench my transmitter. i fly everyday

I've got both X9D+ and the Evolution. I like the way the Evolution feels but don't like their smallest receiver FS A8S. I used the V2 model and still had brown outs and range issues beyond 200 meters.
My first build had the X4R from my the first TX I bought which of course was the Taranis. After 2 more builds and a few BNF's w/X4R, and not one failsafe. I did replace the gimbals also w/the Hall Effect gimbals and love the way it feels. I just purchased the TBS Crossfire micro TX bundle that is supposed to have a faster protocol than Sbus. The receivers are coming down in price too

Here's how I deleted buttons and switches un needed. Makes the x9d much lighter and easier to use.

hmmm, i never considered it heavy but that's a great idea! right now I'm looking at luna scripting to see if i can program a pid change to an extra switch.

hmmm, i never considered it heavy but that's a great idea! right now I'm looking at luna scripting to see if i can program a pid change to an extra switch.

For changing PIDs with a switch, just use the adjustments tab in betaflight. You need a lua script to use the radio screen and softkeys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18