Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Bored with Mavic Pro

thekellers204

Reaction score
Ok guys..I am bored with Mavic pro, but I am no expert flyer...so what quad would you recommend to take the next step. I would like one that has GPS so if I am going to crash I can just let off the controls and have the quad hover?

Is there such a thing?

Keller,

You're here for the same reason I came 6 months ago. I've got a P2V+V3, 2-P3Pro's, 3DR Solo and the Mavic Pro. I now have 11 race drones, half of which I've built myself. I rarely fly my aerial photography drones anymore, I'm to into this new hobby.

This is a different world and it's much more exciting but it requires a lot more hands on interaction. First, with the sticks, you don't take your hands off these sticks or you crash. Crashing is actually part of the learning experience, you can't fly these things if you're not willing to crash. I spend much more time fixing and building than I do actually flying.

It's a tough hobby that requires a lot of attention. It's different than the Mavic because it's not a "firmware" or "DJI Go" update. It's hands on fixing, learning, flying, crashing and fixing some more. Many come and go as they realize what it takes to stay in the air.

Personally, I love it. I get frustrated from time to time but the excitement of actually flying like a fighter pilot might is worth the frustrations.

You can find racers with GPS capabilities but I don't know many that are flying them. In this hobby you want everything stripped down and light. You don't want additional components that will hamper performance. For GPS enabled bird you may want to look at the Storm quads ( http://www.helipal.com/index_tag.php?tags=Storm Drone,RTF# ).

I don't know anyone who flies them but maybe they have some forums you could visit. If you decide to jump in there are many here that are willing to lend a hand.

Jerry

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Keller,

You're here for the same reason I came 6 months ago. I've got a P2V+V3, 2-P3Pro's, 3DR Solo and the Mavic Pro. I now have 11 race drones, half of which I've built myself. I rarely fly my aerial photography drones anymore, I'm to into this new hobby.

This is a different world and it's much more exciting but it requires a lot more hands on interaction. First, with the sticks, you don't take your hands off these sticks or you crash. Crashing is actually part of the learning experience, you can't fly these things if you're not willing to crash. I spend much more time fixing and building than I do actually flying.

It's a tough hobby that requires a lot of attention. It's different than the Mavic because it's not a "firmware" or "DJI Go" update. It's hands on fixing, learning, flying, crashing and fixing some more. Many come and go as they realize what it takes to stay in the air.

Personally, I love it. I get frustrated from time to time but the excitement of actually flying like a fighter pilot might is worth the frustrations.

You can find racers with GPS capabilities but I don't know many that are flying them. In this hobby you want everything stripped down and light. You don't want additional components that will hamper performance. For GPS enabled bird you may want to look at the Storm quads ( http://www.helipal.com/index_tag.php?tags=Storm Drone,RTF# ).

I don't know anyone who flies them but maybe they have some forums you could visit. If you decide to jump in there are many here that are willing to lend a hand.

Jerry
Well said Jerry,
I'd like to add, its best to build your first quad because WHEN you crash, and you will crash, repeatedly, you can diagnose and fix your quad yourself. most trips to the spot(air field) include repair sessions after. Buy a transmitter, download a simulator and use it to learn how to fly while you research a little to figure out the quad you want to build. order parts and by the time they come in and you build your quad, you will know how to fly it. This will help tremendously with repairs and costs. This forum is great for help on builds and repairs, great folks here

Reactions: Jtrjr
I agree with what the other guys said. Simulators are good but another great way to learn is with a brushed micro quad. Flying one is basically the same thing as flying a brushless racing quad but slower. On my brushed micro I would average probably about 20 crashes before needing a repair. Usually it would only be props or maybe a motor that needed replacing.

You can use all the same ground gear like radio, goggles, etc on a brushless after you get used to flying. There are lots of options for brushed micro quads. Eachine EX105 105mm Micro FPV Racing Quadcopter With 800TVL Camera Based On F3 Flight Controller Sale - Banggood Mobile

Reactions: VirtueViolater
I have a RC Logger eye one extreme..I will try to get that going....but haven't had much luck yet

I haven't flown my photo/video drone over a year. I started flying FPV racers. They are soooo much fun. I haven't build one because RTF are sometimes cheaper than parts to build. I've only had to replace parts as needed.

Reactions: simika
I hear ya. I started with AP drones and while I consider the Mavic a "Jack of All Trades", AP drones are definitely not the same. I definitely still fly my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4, but not so much for "fun" anymore mostly when I go somewhere I want to get some images/videos. I am going to get the DJI Goggles and see what those are all about.

Some/Most have a Horizon/Stability Mode that will more or less let your Quad hover. Probably less as there are no GPS sensors or VPS type sensors, lets just say it'll be way more stable than in any other mode.

IMO, there are a few routes you can go. You can do like I did where I bought a radio, dongle, and FPV FreeRider (10 buck simulator). I spent a few weeks on that before ever taking to the air with my QAV-R. The Sim helped immensely. Sure there are some differences between the Sim and the real thing. But the Sim really helped me to learn the basics so that when I started flying I wasn't immediately crashing and was doing flips and rolls by the second battery pack.

The other method you can go albeit more expensive is start with something like the Connex Falcore. Lots of good reviews regarding it as a Drone that can teach you how to fly as it has a number of aids. It also grows with you. But I think after a few months you'll want something different, more agile, and will wind up re-buying equipment.

Where I politely disagree with some of the other posts, is to "Building your Drone so you learn to work on it, especially when you have to". I say build it if you want but there is nothing wrong with buying a BNF or having a good shop build your drone to your specs. I think the key is really knowing your drone, know what all the parts are and what they do; know what each board is and what the solder points are; know and be comfortable with FC/ESC software

I bought a "Ready To Fly" QAV-R and am extremely happy with it. Its been outstandingly durable and has flown great. Sure I've had to do some "repairs" but no big deal. I've played with the PIDs and made adjustments in the FC. I calculated that I spent 50 bucks more purchasing a "RTF" (really a BNF that still needed some Tx adjustments) as opposed to building it myself. Buying a BNF has the benefit it that it was already checked-out and tuned as well. I had my LHS who specializes in FPV drones build my other one.

I equate this to when I used to roadrace a TZ250. It was a pure roadracing motorcycle that required constant maintenance to keep it performing at its best. I purchased it fully assembled. But very frequent maintenance was a requirement of owning one. Top-end tear downs/rebuilds and engine teardowns/rebuilds were a common part of owning it which I did myself. End of each season the bike was torn down to the frame. My point being is you don't need to build your drone to know how to work on it.

Reactions: Jtrjr
QAV,

Very good points! I also purchased an RTF and several BNF's to start out. I learn best by taking something that works properly and then learning what everything does and how each component interacts with the others. I would have been very frustrated trying to build my first bird from scratch. I love the building process now but I'm glad I didn't try to build my first one.

Jerry

Reactions: Keifie and QAVRT
I agreed with everyone here.. I started with DJi P3S to P3A to MP. I bought my MP back in March 2017, I flew few dozen time. Then around April I start getting in racing drone...My 1st racing was Wizard X220..i crashed over 100 times, broken over 3 dozen of props. Broke bottom base frame, broke VTX antenna, broke flight controller mount screws.
Like everyone said, if you dont crash, you wont learn.
Im still learning as I go.

I agreed with everyone here.. I started with DJi P3S to P3A to MP. I bought my MP back in March 2017, I flew few dozen time. Then around April I start getting in racing drone...My 1st racing was Wizard X220..i crashed over 100 times, broken over 3 dozen of props. Broke bottom base frame, broke VTX antenna, broke flight controller mount screws.
Like everyone said, if you dont crash, you wont learn.
Im still learning as I go.

so cool guys :) I bought my Mavic in March.. I love it but now I feel I need to fly "crazy" with one of those fpv race drones :) should I buy this wizard x220 or wait some more weeks and get the new one x220s? which Googles do u use?

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az.lonewolf81