Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

What C rating should I choose?

Pedro679

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I used to fly DJI drones and got very interested in fpv some months ago, I built my first 5" and I learned a ton but still don't know a lot about LiPo batteries. I've got 4x35A ESCs and wanna know if I'm looking for another 4s around 1500 - 1800mah what would the discharge rate be as I'm looking for the best response I can get from the motors, they came with a kit and they're 2205 2300kv but I'm thinking about upgrading. Thank you!

rtkDarling

Reaction score
75c or better for a rule of thumb, and if you want better performance on motors that small, go with a slightly smaller battery to save weight.

Pedro679

Reaction score
75c or better for a rule of thumb, and if you want better performance on motors that small, go with a slightly smaller battery to save weight.

How do I know how much current the escs can take? Would it be 140C max?

rtkDarling

Reaction score
There is no max C rating because it's a rating of potential discharge. A higher C battery is able to charge or discharge faster without damaging it's self, so the only downside to a higher C rating is cost.

On a side note, C ratings on batteries are largely estimated or downright fake. If they're claiming over 140 they might be claiming their burst rating or something. It's gimmicky. 75 - 120 is probably realistic

Reactions: Futuramille

Pedro679

Reaction score
There is no max C rating because it's a rating of potential discharge. A higher C battery is able to charge or discharge faster without damaging it's self, so the only downside to a higher C rating is cost.

On a side note, C ratings on batteries are largely estimated or downright fake. If they're claiming over 140 they might be claiming their burst rating or something. It's gimmicky. 75 - 120 is probably realistic

Thank you for the link! it really helped me.
One things that i stil don't know what's happening, the battery is charging too fast, I set the amperage to 1.5 which is the recommended for a 1500 but it goes from 12 to 14.8v in almost 10 minutes and I don't know if it's supposed to do that.

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
12 volts is way too low for a 4s battery, 14.8 is discharged, and 16.8 is full charge. It sounds like you may have the wrong thoughts on how this stuff works, but letting a 4s go below about 12.8 volts is crazy.

Reactions: rtkDarling

Pedro679

Reaction score
I just rounded the number, it was showing 12.6 when I connected but I already figured everything out

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insanetec