Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What C rating should I choose?

Pedro679

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I used to fly DJI drones and got very interested in fpv some months ago, I built my first 5" and I learned a ton but still don't know a lot about LiPo batteries. I've got 4x35A ESCs and wanna know if I'm looking for another 4s around 1500 - 1800mah what would the discharge rate be as I'm looking for the best response I can get from the motors, they came with a kit and they're 2205 2300kv but I'm thinking about upgrading. Thank you!

75c or better for a rule of thumb, and if you want better performance on motors that small, go with a slightly smaller battery to save weight.

75c or better for a rule of thumb, and if you want better performance on motors that small, go with a slightly smaller battery to save weight.

How do I know how much current the escs can take? Would it be 140C max?

There is no max C rating because it's a rating of potential discharge. A higher C battery is able to charge or discharge faster without damaging it's self, so the only downside to a higher C rating is cost.

On a side note, C ratings on batteries are largely estimated or downright fake. If they're claiming over 140 they might be claiming their burst rating or something. It's gimmicky. 75 - 120 is probably realistic

Reactions: Futuramille
There is no max C rating because it's a rating of potential discharge. A higher C battery is able to charge or discharge faster without damaging it's self, so the only downside to a higher C rating is cost.

On a side note, C ratings on batteries are largely estimated or downright fake. If they're claiming over 140 they might be claiming their burst rating or something. It's gimmicky. 75 - 120 is probably realistic

Thank you for the link! it really helped me.
One things that i stil don't know what's happening, the battery is charging too fast, I set the amperage to 1.5 which is the recommended for a 1500 but it goes from 12 to 14.8v in almost 10 minutes and I don't know if it's supposed to do that.

12 volts is way too low for a 4s battery, 14.8 is discharged, and 16.8 is full charge. It sounds like you may have the wrong thoughts on how this stuff works, but letting a 4s go below about 12.8 volts is crazy.

Reactions: rtkDarling
I just rounded the number, it was showing 12.6 when I connected but I already figured everything out

@Pedro679 Check out my other post about LiPo batteries. It may help answer some of your questions. If you need any more info after you've read it, post you additional questions here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Reactions: mrmund

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax