Welcome to Drone Racing!

How long?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bstanton89, May 16, 2018.

1. Bstanton89

Bstanton89 New Member

how long did it take some of you from the time you started flying fpv in acro until you could consistently fly a very basic track? I’ve been flying in the liftoff simulator for a couple of months(not everyday) but i feel like I’m just not grasping the fine control thing. And it has resulted in my having to replace parts every time I fly the real deal. I know, I know, crashing and rebuilding is part of it, but I feel like whatever progress I was making at first is stalled, I’m just not getting any better at fine control. Any tips or anybody care to honestly share about how long it took them to get it down?

M3talrocksFPV likes this.
  2. theGreenOrange

theGreenOrange Well-Known Member

Maybe your rates are too high, making the controls too sensitive.

I think it took me about 25 or 30 packs before it "clicked". I would get a tiny whoop to practice in smaller spaces. Less walking and easier to squeeze in a flight during a busy day.

3. Bstanton89

Bstanton89 New Member

Yes, that would be fun for lunch breaks and stuff, but I gotta cool it on my quad spending atleast until the wife cools back down, lol, just started from scratch about a month ago, built a quad, got goggles, and a transmitter, batteries, charger, basically everything to get started, do you have any recommendations for rates for a beginner? I just wanna be able to fly a track eventually. Not looking to break any speed records, just successfully fly a whole track without crashing out.

Wayno52 and M3talrocksFPV like this.
  4. theGreenOrange

Just lower RC rates by 30% (change the one column labeled RC rates for all axes except throttle) and see how you like that. I think they have changed the numbering system since I have looked at it.

NeoCloneOne and M3talrocksFPV like this.
  5. theGreenOrange

6. M3talrocksFPV

M3talrocksFPV Active Member

Honestly it took like 30 packs before I could confidently say, "i'm not going to crash". But of course i push myself each flight to get better and end up with something broken (usually a prop or antenna). Helps that I've flown helicopters and fixed wings for 20 years before getting a kwad. So let's say about a good 6-8 month's when I was first starting out with just helicopters

NeoCloneOne and Wayno52 like this.
  7. Wayno52

Wayno52 Well-Known Member

Haha you really love the micro’s Green. But I have to agree 100 percent. I got a brushless whoop not long ago and you can fly it anywhere at any time. Definitely worth a look.
    But I believe we all clicked with it at our own pace. I flew angle then horizon for months before I attempted acro. Mistake though. It’s all about stick time and rate lowering will definitely take the edge off.
    On day it just all happens.
    Good luck

NeoCloneOne likes this.
  8. NeoCloneOne

NeoCloneOne Active Member

I agree with all the flying veterans, it just takes a lot of stick time, many fustrating moments. Crashing is part of the learning curve. But once your skills improve, you're going to start crashing less then you will start to feel better about flying quads. The confidence factor takes over. You can't just expect it to come.overnight. some pros. Some pros recommend flying the same quad, with same settings, same gear all the time, Everytime, to hone your FPV skills. I think if you also get a cheap 'basher' drone to practice with, you don't have to worry about wrecking your prized one(s). Then once you get better, you can switch back over to your good quad(s). Here is a little one that's good for practice that won't break the wallet, and the wifey won't get angry about. You can order with or without fpv goggles.

Eachine E013 Micro FPV RC Drone Quadcopter With 5.8G 1000TVL 40CH Camera VR006 VR-006 3 Inch Goggles Sale - Banggood Mobile

9. Futuramille

Futuramille Well-Known Member

four batteries today.. i crashed 5 times. if your not crashing your not pressing the envelop/ learning.
    build, fly, crash... repeat

Wayno52 and NeoCloneOne like this.