Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Testing various HD camera setups for the 3" birds...

Jtrjr

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I really like to get HD recordings of my flights but with these 3 incher's weight and size are much more important. I'm trying out a couple of different things. Right now it's the SQ11 on my TGO-SE and the Runcam2 on my DT130.

IMG_8173.JPG IMG_8175.JPG IMG_8176.JPG

The SQ11 on the TGO-SE (after making a mount) feels about right from a size and weight perspective but the video quality is quite suspect. The 1080p 30fps is about as good as it gets and so far even that hasn't been very good. In fairness, I haven't been able to fly it in decent weather with the sun shining. Forget about the 720p 30fps, it's horrible! Not even worth using.

IMG_8178.JPG

The Runcam2 on the DT130 is very awkward, bulky and heavy. Makes the bird really top heavy. I haven't been able to do much flying with it yet and I haven't done anything with the more robust settings (the SQ11 has none). Once it's tweaked the quality should be much better.

IMG_8181.JPG

I've also got a new Runcam Split waiting to be installed. I think I may try to use that on my new Leopard build. I'll keep everyone posted with photos, test videos and opinions in this thread.

Jerry

Reactions: VirtueViolater
I've also got a new Runcam Split waiting to be installed. I think I may try to use that on my new Leopard build. I'll keep everyone posted with photos, test videos and opinions in this thread.

Jerry[/QUOTE]
Man that looks like a lot of fun!
Great thread

Reactions: Jtrjr
Okay, here's some video results:

Test of the SQ11 on my TGO-SE 3" with 3045BN two-bladed props and a 4S 850mah 75c battery. No music just motor sound from the SQ11. No adjustments were made to the camera. The output is 1080p30fps. The weather is overcast awaiting more storms.

Test of the Runcam2 on my Diatone DT130 3" with 3045BN two-bladed props and a 3S 850mah 75c battery. No music just motor sound from the Runcam2. No adjustments were made to the camera. The output is 1080p60fps. The weather is overcast awaiting more storms.

Jerry

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Thanks, Wayno. The SJ4000 wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do. These are mini quads, 3" props, the birds fit in the palm of your hand. I'm looking for very small, lightweight, HD cameras. They're pretty tough to come by for this category of mini-drones.

Jerry

Wayno,

Yes, size, weight, HD quality and mounting options are all important on these smaller builds.

Jerry

Those 3"ers look good Jerry. Have you been able to install the Split in any of those? I've seen videos with rhe RC Split in 3" builds. From just looking at those videos it's hard to distinguish it from 5" running a GoPro. You fly well Jerry but these videos almost looked like drunk Hillary was flying

Those 3"ers look good Jerry. Have you been able to install the Split in any of those?

Well Keifie, not so funny you should ask! And a WARNING to those that follow. I have a split here and was contemplating installing it on my Leopard. I couldn't sleep Friday night so I decided to tear my DT130 apart and install the Split on it. If it worked out, I'd get another for the Leopard.

I haven't worked too much on these smaller builds (@theGreenOrange is the Master of the 3"er's!). I ripped the bird apart, cleaned it all up and carefully rebuilt it with the Split installed. If you have a 3 wire camera connection ( +, -, Video Signal) putting 5v to the camera, it's an easy install in most cases. It's simply a matter of unplugging that wire from your camera and plugging it into the split board.

I had a just installed a Runcam Mini v2 (5v to the camera) on the DT130 which required a larger connector and a wire to the Lipo for the OSD. I replaced the connector with a 3 wire one and uninstalled the wire to the Lipo.

Mind you, I had read and Runcam warns in many places that the Split needs 5v and only 5v, anything higher will burn it up. I was well aware of this and made certain the my connection was 5v to the camera.

At 4:30am everything was done and I was ready to power this puppy up for the first time. I plugged in my Lipo and saw a beautiful image appear on my external monitor...for about a half a second...then "poof", out goes the "magic smoke"!!!

The PDB on my DT130 had two identical connectors, side by side on it. One was for the camera (5v) and the other was for the VTX (>5v). Bet you can't get which one I had plugged the Split into? I now await a new Split board and another Split for the Leopard build.

So in total, I'm now out an "all nighter" (I didn't sleep again until last night), $40 for a new board and my DT130 is down until the good old USPS man shows up with my new board!

The moral of the story:

"EVERYONE! THE RUNCAM SPLIT WILL RELEASE THE MAGIC SMOKE IF YOU GIVE IT MORE THAN 5 VOLTS!!!!"

Jerry

Keifie,

And for the record, I don't consider myself a very good pilot, I'm a "work in progress" pilot! I post my videos so that others like me don't feel intimidated about posting their progress. We can all go out on the web and see these phenomenal videos that the "Greats" in the hobby produce. I love watching these guys, they give me a lot of inspiration but I also love seeing the guys starting out and struggling to learn to be better pilots!

When I first got into this hobby I was intimidated by watching these great videos, always wondering how in the heck I could ever be that good. It wasn't until I realized that I'm just trying to have some fun, learn a lot and help some others along the way when I could that I started sharing my videos.

I'm here for the fun of it. I doubt I'm going to be the next Mr. Steele....but, hey, you never know...

Jerry

Well Keifie, not so funny you should ask! And a WARNING to those that follow. I have a split here and was contemplating installing it on my Leopard. I couldn't sleep Friday night so I decided to tear my DT130 apart and install the Split on it. If it worked out, I'd get another for the Leopard.

I haven't worked too much on these smaller builds (@theGreenOrange is the Master of the 3"er's!). I ripped the bird apart, cleaned it all up and carefully rebuilt it with the Split installed. If you have a 3 wire camera connection ( +, -, Video Signal) putting 5v to the camera, it's an easy install in most cases. It's simply a matter of unplugging that wire from your camera and plugging it into the split board.

I had a just installed a Runcam Mini v2 (5v to the camera) on the DT130 which required a larger connector and a wire to the Lipo for the OSD. I replaced the connector with a 3 wire one and uninstalled the wire to the Lipo.

Mind you, I had read and Runcam warns in many places that the Split needs 5v and only 5v, anything higher will burn it up. I was well aware of this and made certain the my connection was 5v to the camera.

At 4:30am everything was done and I was ready to power this puppy up for the first time. I plugged in my Lipo and saw a beautiful image appear on my external monitor...for about a half a second...then "poof", out goes the "magic smoke"!!!

The PDB on my DT130 had two identical connectors, side by side on it. One was for the camera (5v) and the other was for the VTX (>5v). Bet you can't get which one I had plugged the Split into? I now await a new Split board and another Split for the Leopard build.

So in total, I'm now out an "all nighter" (I didn't sleep again until last night), $40 for a new board and my DT130 is down until the good old USPS man shows up with my new board!

The moral of the story:

"EVERYONE! THE RUNCAM SPLIT WILL RELEASE THE MAGIC SMOKE IF YOU GIVE IT MORE THAN 5 VOLTS!!!!"

Jerry
That dang magic smoke. I don't know what it does but it has be in there. There,s no getting it back in there either.

Last edited:
Keifie,

And for the record, I don't consider myself a very good pilot, I'm a "work in progress" pilot! I post my videos so that others like me don't feel intimidated about posting their progress. We can all go out on the web and see these phenomenal videos that the "Greats" in the hobby produce. I love watching these guys, they give me a lot of inspiration but I also love seeing the guys starting out and struggling to learn to be better pilots!

When I first got into this hobby I was intimidated by watching these great videos, always wondering how in the heck I could ever be that good. It wasn't until I realized that I'm just trying to have some fun, learn a lot and help some others along the way when I could that I started sharing my videos.

I'm here for the fun of it. I doubt I'm going to be the next Mr. Steele....but, hey, you never know...

Jerry
You could be the next Mr Iron or Aluminum, you are a great pilot Jerry and getting better all the time

No......! **** that literally blows. I would like to see a video when you get your new board installed. Hey I wasn't criticizing your pilot skills. I also consider this to be ALL fun. Even the times I break stuff. Of course there is almost always a sting when that happens but we just pick up and keep going. And that Hillary comment I made was in reference to the quad looking unstable. Not your piloti skills. You handled it better than I would've.

So Jerry,,,what was the voltage? Below 5volts? Im thinking on getting the split. Josh Bardwell did a comparison vid and the RunCam split looks great. I fly like You. Im from the ole school and dont like breaking my quad,,,,BUT part of this hobby is fixin and tunin these UFO's. Hahahahah I come from the PAST,,,1955,, and would love to go back in time,,,with my quad! Folks would Panic! I may enter an FPV race someday,,,,if they have a GIZER Division. Hahahah Having a blast in this incredible RC Hobby! Rudy in Moncton NB. Nice mini's by the way!

Rud,

The VTX port is pulling voltage directly from the Lipo. The camera port is pulling 5v. Looks like we're from the same time frame. Video gaming experience would have made this hobby a bit easier. It's all about building, flying, crashing, fixing and repeating!

Jerry

Reactions: Rudster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax