Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New to Avata quetsions

Frosty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought an Avata when it was first released last year, tried it once, got busy, and finally just thought I'd get back to it. I just updated the firmware and I'm ready to dive in to FPV flying.

A few questions:
  1. I have the DJI Motion Controller. I believe there's a new one available? Is the original one obsolete in any way? And is there an upgrade path that I be looking at?
  2. It looks like there's also a more traditional remote controller available. How do you chose between the controllers? I have many hundreds of hours of flying of flying Mini/Mini 2/Mini 3/Mini 4 under my belt.
  3. I think there are new goggles available also? Are those worth an upgrade?
  4. Are there any other upgrades or accessories that I should be considering?
  5. What's the trick to inserting and removing the Micro SD card from the drone?
  6. When there is a memory card in the goggles, does everything get recorded to that card so that I don't need to use a memory card in the drone?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: careless
In regards to #6, the goggles record 30fps at 1080p and include all the telemetry data on the video while drone records 60fps at 4k, much better video.

Hi everyone,

I bought an Avata when it was first released last year, tried it once, got busy, and finally just thought I'd get back to it. I just updated the firmware and I'm ready to dive in to FPV flying.

A few questions:
  1. I have the DJI Motion Controller. I believe there's a new one available? Is the original one obsolete in any way? And is there an upgrade path that I be looking at?
  2. It looks like there's also a more traditional remote controller available. How do you chose between the controllers? I have many hundreds of hours of flying of flying Mini/Mini 2/Mini 3/Mini 4 under my belt.
  3. I think there are new goggles available also? Are those worth an upgrade?
  4. Are there any other upgrades or accessories that I should be considering?
  5. What's the trick to inserting and removing the Micro SD card from the drone?
  6. When there is a memory card in the goggles, does everything get recorded to that card so that I don't need to use a memory card in the drone?
Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me as regards using your Avata. I can try to answer some of your questions, though I'm not really current.

1. Original MC is not obsolete and can still be used. New MC2 adds some features I personally would have liked, but forces Firmware updates that enable Remote ID (RID). Not required in Canada and I don't want to hang more hardware off my goggles.
  2. There are traditional RCs available and they are the only way to fly the Avata in Manual mode. I likely never will fly manual, so I haven't look into it further.
  3. New goggles are available, and again, would force firmware upgrades that enable RID. From what I've read though, the goggles have GPS and remove the need to hang your phone from the goggles.
  4. Accessories - no idea
  5. There is no good trick, unfortunately. I have longish nails, good to release lock the card and use hemostats for extracting or inserting it.
  6. What Buddb55 said.

[QUOTE="Barbara, post: 45061, member: 9922

way to fly the Avata in Manual mode. I likely never will fly manual, so I haven't look into it further.

Babs,Babs,Babs, flying in manual mode IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WAY OF FLYING. It is waaaaaaay better than gps stabilized, and is the only way to actually experience the thrill of flying.
A camera drone simply suspends u in the air, giving u a birds eye view, that's all.
When u get confident with manual, u become the drone, and can zap in any direction at any attitude with a freedom not experienced in any other aircraft on this planet. Your are finally flying better and faster than a bird, and with more manoeuvrability.
Please don't write it off.. It is without doubt the most exciting form of flying available to normal folk.
It's easy to learn in sims, the panic button makes the Fpv or Avata safe to learn on, and unless I require an absolutely static shot, I'll always switch to manual ASAP, it's flying freedom.
Just land in gps mode.[/QUOTE][/LIST][/QUOTE]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18