Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Japan 5.8ghz regulations

Tokyoman911

Reaction score
Hi I live in Japan and recently got into fpv. Japan being Japan, they are pretty strict with regulations on fpv. I have decided to just go with the flow as I really want to pursue the hobby and so I’m currently in the process of getting my Amateur radio technician license (mandatory) and apply to open up my own radio station and receive a call-sign from the govt. (You need to submit a bunch of docs including a wiring diagram of your VTX) the whole thing takes about 2 months (zzzzz)

Now I am yet to put down money on the Goggles and VTX part , because something that really bothers me about these regulations is that any fpv system with a occupied frequency bandwidth above 17MHz is not permitted. Which rules out most digital systems and leaves you with mostly analog. (The red square is the usable freq for fpv)
Please note that I am not talking about VTX output power (25mW etc. Japan allows up to 1W)

Except HDZero released a firmware using which you can go down to 540p60 and stay within Japanese regulations. Walksnail isn’t even approved in Japan yet, and even if it does, it will meet the same fate where half the features(money) will be wasted.

My question is, if I just go ahead and fly in 720p 60, is anybody going to be able to detect that I am using more than the “allocated” bandwidth. Moreover, if I am in a relatively remote area, can anybody really detect “unauthorized” 5.8ghz broadcast? Because dropping so much money on a goggle and system you can’t even use fully, bothers me.

Thanks for taking the time to read, cheers.
[Image: rbtfl3n1uduc1.jpeg]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viorel007