Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Returning to DIY

f33dback

Reaction score
Years ago, before even the Phantom 2, I use to build my own (think firewheel Naza)and now I want to go back to that. Looking to build a 7 inch or larger LRFPV, I want to use the DJI goggles and the o3 system. My questions are do you have any recommendations for complete kits? Any flight controllers with Baro on them to work with GPS?

Also does the o3 air unit and goggles together still want remote ID and NFZ clearance? Or do I have to buy a module? Between Crossfire and ELRS which is better? are they close enough I can save money getting ELRS?
Anyone happen to know how well RTH works with home made drones and M80 gps modules?

If you are looking for the best RTF kits you should definitely check out iFlight, by far the most consistently solid 5 - 7 inch quads for a few years now. I imagine they will have FCs with a barometer but I have worked with the Matek H473 slim and know that one does for sure, as well as a spots for GPS/Compass.
While I'm not sure if the O3 Unit and goggles need remote ID with the extension given to the deadline, but I imagine a module like the Flite Test EZ ID would work perfectly in a build like that. Finally, you said it best yourself. While Crossfire used to be the obvious choice (and may still be if you are truly doing long range flying) I have heard nothing bad about ELRS and hear its capable of essentially everything that comes with casual flying for less money.

I don't think the type of GPS module will result in any noticeable difference to RTH accuracy but most will get the quad back in a pinch. It will not come and land at your feet but if you install a compass with the GPS correctly, it should be able to right itself and at least fly in the direction of home to re establish rc link/ video.

hope this helps!

Reactions: okw
If you are looking for the best RTF kits you should definitely check out iFlight, by far the most consistently solid 5 - 7 inch quads for a few years now. I imagine they will have FCs with a barometer but I have worked with the Matek H473 slim and know that one does for sure, as well as a spots for GPS/Compass.
While I'm not sure if the O3 Unit and goggles need remote ID with the extension given to the deadline, but I imagine a module like the Flite Test EZ ID would work perfectly in a build like that. Finally, you said it best yourself. While Crossfire used to be the obvious choice (and may still be if you are truly doing long range flying) I have heard nothing bad about ELRS and hear its capable of essentially everything that comes with casual flying for less money.

I don't think the type of GPS module will result in any noticeable difference to RTH accuracy but most will get the quad back in a pinch. It will not come and land at your feet but if you install a compass with the GPS correctly, it should be able to right itself and at least fly in the direction of home to re establish rc link/ video.

hope this helps!
Thanks it does help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18