Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

I am a total noob

lakelegobot

Reaction score
I have no experience in the racing drone world besides knowing that Escs go to motors can someone explain everything to me?
Like what does kv mean?
What does the class number mean?
how in the heck do I find racing drone kits ?
can someone recommend some kits to me?(I do Have a 3d printer if that lowers the cost any)
Oh and I have an budget of $150 excluding all of the fpv gear

Lake,
There are as many different kinds of drones as there are cars.
The price price point is ok. I am a very NEW flyer as well and the obvious thing about flying racing style quads is that they come down.....they fly, and they come down.....so the durability in a racing quad is a important thing to consider.
You tube is where i learned 85% of everything i know about this hobby. Joshua bardwell is good...UAV futures is good and there are a ton of other how to videos and explanation videos
On you tube....this sport is very new and the tech is advancing at lightning speed. The other thing that I considered carefully was the ability to get parts. Drones go up and they crash ...and you are going to crash.
I saw a t shirt in one of the YT channels and the shirt said"build ,fly,crash, repeat". I would stick with American distributors as you can contact and so on.

This sport is very fun...but that fun is earned. Practice,practice
Practice.

As always peace and progress
Keith

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Just a perspective;

My buddies and I went about it different ways when getting into this hobby. Now I'm not advocating one way or another, just sharing my experience...

They went the budget route, building out their drones for around 150-200 bucks. I ordered a BNF QAV-R from getfpv.com and spent 500 bucks (minus the goggles and radio). They had all kinds of small issues with theirs. Loss of video signal at short ranges, motors that weren't consistent in power delivery (might have been the ESCs), a crap load of learning and studying how to program in Betaflight/Cleanflight, but in a nutshell they had problems...

I had no issues with mine out of the box and it flies great. While I didn't know much about programming flight controllers and what all the settings mean and do, I am a Software Engineer, so it wasn't a big leap to learn from having a flying model and for lack of a better word, "reverse engineer" it. In the end a few months later we are at the same point in our knowledge and flyable drones. In the end they spend almost as much as I did on my BNF, but I didn't have all the headaches...

I will add that I spent probably a solid month flying/using FPV Freerider before ever flying my QAV. It made a huge difference when I actually got out and flew. I was able to fly around, do some simple freestyle moves without crashing immediately. This is not to say I didn't crash. I did, but it was huge augering in type crashes, but just a little too low or the biggest one, landing... I still use the simulator to learn new "tricks" and to stay sharp when I can't fly for a few days. Its not a one-for-one between the Sim and real life, but it take me maybe one battery pack to adjust...

Qav,

Did yours come with the Lumenier F4 Advanced FC and the basic Lumenier PDB? I bought the QAV-R and that's what mine has. I can't for the life of me get a beeper to work on that thing. Does yours have a beeper?

Jerry

Yes its the Lumenier F4 FC and whatever PDB they use in the BNF QAV-R... Mine did not come with a beeper. I've thought about mounting one up and really should as I had to search a field (small area) with moderately tall grass the other day...

Qav,

Did yours come with the Lumenier F4 Advanced FC and the basic Lumenier PDB? I bought the QAV-R and that's what mine has. I can't for the life of me get a beeper to work on that thing. Does yours have a beeper?

Jerry

Reactions: Jtrjr
QAV,

That's why I asked, the FC is so basic that there I'd no connection for a beeper. I even tried to get one going using motor 5 or 6 to no avail.

Jerry

this isnt a bad kit for the cost
Amazon.com: iFlight iX5 200mm Racing Frame + iF2205 2300KV Motor + 30A BLHELI_S 3-6S ESC + F3 6DOF FC + 5042 Propeller for FPV Quadcopter: Toys & Games
theres no camera or vtx, can get those separately

also, starting to sound like a recording.....lol. buy a transmitter first and download a simulator, it'll save you lots of aggravation and costs. its WAY cheaper to learn to fly on a sim and fun to boot

Thanks mate..I about to pull the trigger on this one.. I flown my Wizard x220 for 8 weeks now and still crashing and learning as I go.

Reactions: VirtueViolater

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az.lonewolf81