Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Heat gun recommendations?

HighTechPauper

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
There are a few tools you absolutely need to build and repair, one of them is a heat gun. I need to get one asap but can't afford to get anything more than I need. I see some for as little as $10, and I wanted to know if anyone can suggest a low cost model that they know works well. It is obviously used only occasionally, so no need for anything too big or industrial, and I don't need anything dual purpose (i.e. stripping paint etc.). I would like enough watts to shrink any size tube and maybe a couple of end adaptors to deflect, or concentrate heat when working near other things.

Thinking about this
https://www.amazon.com/Safstar-Temp...=UTF8&qid=1507082102&sr=1-6&keywords=heat+gun

or maybe this
https://www.amazon.com/USA-Seller-P...UTF8&qid=1507082102&sr=1-16&keywords=heat+gun

Any thoughts or suggestions you all may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
HTP

Reactions: Jtrjr
Thanks guys, that's the kind of input I was looking for.

On another note, I have been looking at heat shrink specifically for ESC's/VTX's/receivers. I have noticed for instance that while I only cut a small window out around the dip switch for my VTX that it gets hot enough when on the bench that it has receded and is becoming brittle and breaking off. I think I need to replace the heat shrink from time to time to keep things as protected as possible.

I was looking at this for ESC's as 20mm seems to be about the right size, I would need bigger for my receiver and VTX, but figured you guys have a better line on a better products.

Ratio 2:1 20mm Dia Clear Polyolefin Heat Shrinkable Tube 5M - Newegg.com

Thanks guys, that's the kind of input I was looking for.

On another note, I have been looking at heat shrink specifically for ESC's/VTX's/receivers. I have noticed for instance that while I only cut a small window out around the dip switch for my VTX that it gets hot enough when on the bench that it has receded and is becoming brittle and breaking off. I think I need to replace the heat shrink from time to time to keep things as protected as possible.

I was looking at this for ESC's as 20mm seems to be about the right size, I would need bigger for my receiver and VTX, but figured you guys have a better line on a better products.

Ratio 2:1 20mm Dia Clear Polyolefin Heat Shrinkable Tube 5M - Newegg.com

I use 3:1 ShrinkFlex, it is the best I have found. I usually get it from WireCare.com but shipping cost isn't great for single item orders. Usually I try to load up on a bunch of stuff from them.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I have a Harbor freight gun, works good and cheap like me

That's what I ended up doing too Virtue, I went by Home Depot and Lowes, looked over the guns in my price range good, and realized they are all china cheap unless you spend a lot more money. So the $13.99 special from Harbor Freight was the winner this time and I ran it for 5 minutes in both temp/fan speeds and then for 1 minute in the low temp/speed to cool off the element. I will let it cool down completely and do it all again to break in the heating element and make sure it has no issue before my 90 day return period is up.

Got a bunch of shrinkflex 3:1 and some 2:1 from WireCare on the way (thanks @theGreenOrange)

And as always, many thanks to @Jtrjr and Vv and Green for... everything!

Randy

China Freight all the way. There are some things they make that are crap, but the simple things are absolutely superb. You're not going to get a better heat gun for an even comparable price. My Harbor Freight heat gun does more than I ever need it to. Why spend more?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18