Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

From Budget Build to Next Step?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hi,
We had a great time this year building a budget FPV quad based on a YouTube video. We learned a lot and still have fun flying it. However, we are interested in building another that can fly further and have better video quality. We are amazed at the DJI FPV but the cost is high and we prefer to put together our own that we can fix or modify later. We would like to build something with similar capabilities to the DJI FPV. We looked at the DJI 03 Air Unit. That could help improve the video quality (with DJI goggles) but we are wondering if there are systems similar to DJI capabilities but geared more to DIY work. We noticed if one buys the DJI goggles and DJI Air Unit, you could just spend a couple hundred more and get their whole FPV quad.

If we want to improve our video quality and flight distance, where should we start looking? What makes/models of transmitters/receivers and video transmitters/receivers/goggles should we start investigating?

Thanks for any advice.

You will not get DJI-like performance from any home built quad,. Standard Flight Controllers running the latest version of INAV and equipped with a barometer and a GPS can come fairly close though. in some areas of automation anyway. The O3 Air Unit and Goggles2 will provide the best possible video link and long range flying will require Express LRS or Crossfire or Tracer RC links unless you also have a DJI controller that can bind to the Rx built into the O3 Air Unit. .

I see. After looking at the cost of the DJI goggles and o3 Air Unit, it would just be a few more hundred dollars for the drone and controller. I think what we will do is get a DJI FPV system and in the future, if we want to build our own, we can get the o3 Air Unit which will work with the DJI goggles/controller. I didn't know at the time I made this post but now I realize that the o3 Air Unit not only handles video and video transmission but also handles controller reception (from DJI controller).

That's a good plan. It's hard to go wrong with DJI equipment if that kind of autonomy is what you want. The only down side I know about is that the their FPV drone is said to be less crash resilient than an FPV drone might need to be for some. The DJI Avata is said to be a bit more durable and would, for me anyway, be the better choice as it would still offer all the benefits you listed as well as indoor flight perhaps.

Best of luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18