Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Some "outside the box" Avata 2 questions...

harleydude

Reaction score
Hey doods!

Long time flyer, long time FPV lurker, first time post to the FPV Drone forum. I own 3 drones that I use for work. All of them are hacked to behave the way I need them to behave. I imagine the Avata 2 will be no different.

I've done some Internet research on the Avata 2, and it's mostly just racing footage and box openings, etc. The questions I have, don't seem to be addressed on the Internet. I did a quick search over the forum, but because of the nature of my questions, the search results have been too broad and vague to be of any use. So, hopefully this post will get some response.

I'm looking at the Avata 2 not for racing, but for building inspection of destroyed and/or damaged buildings mostly due to fire, but also due to other mishaps. I need something robust and sturdy with prop protection. The Avata 2 seems to fit the bill. So I'm not racing it or looking to be the next YouTube star. The problem has been that the information I seek, no racer really cares about. Conversely, the things I don't really care about (speed, agility, etc.), racers care about. So gathering information has been a conundrum. That said...

My questions:

1) What are your thoughts regarding the new remote control? I've seen mixed reviews. I'm not sure I would like it, but I defer to those who approached the new controller with my same trepidation, but were maybe won over??

2) Is there a way to connect a standard controller (RC) to the Avata 2? While I'm not totally opposed to learning the new controller, I would honestly like to stick with what I know. I'm really on the fence with this one.

3) What hacks have you used to get around the RID startup issues? I saw one guy who simply starts the motors pre-GPS lock. I was hoping with something a little more persistent...elegant. My job locations are often away from Internet and cell service. I can NOT be forced into an Internet/Cell connection for this thing to fly (hence the hack on all my drones). I imagine I will have to figure this one out on my own. Hopefully, ONE of you guys out there are in the same boat.

4) Videos of the Avata 2 flying outdoors clearly show that the Avata 2 is connected to satellites (GPS lock). When flying indoors, traditionally GPS lock is lost. I assume the same for the Avata 2?? I assume stabilization is achieved via censors installed throughout the drone?? But can't seem to get confirmation on this. Nobody is really hovering inside a steel building. It seems they're racing in an ATTI kind of mode, but I'm not sure. So...How stable is the Avata 2 when it's indoors completely isolated from Satellites??? Ergo, no GPS lock?

5) I'm far sighted. My vision is good about a foot past my eyes. I wear 1.5 cheaters to read. Other than that, my vision is perfect. I have been using FatShark Goggles for years with no focus problems. Conversely, the DJI goggles were a nightmare...impossible to focus. Ridiculous design, but I digress... I see that the Avata 2 goggles have focusable lenses. Anybody in this forum use cheaters to read who also use the Avata 2 goggles? What is your review of the focusability?

I really appreciate anybody who takes the time to answer 1 or more of these questions.

D

1) New FPV Controller 3 doesn't appear to have a lot of noticeable differences to the FPV Controller 2. It really just adds support for DJI O4 which is needed to communicate with the Avata 2 (and likely can support Mini 4 Pro)

2) Not yet. There are rumors of an upcoming DJI update to add backwards compatibility for the Avata 2 to work with FPV Controller 2 (and possible Integra or Goggles v2)

3) I have not had any RID startup issues during the few months of owning the DJI Avata 1. In fact, I've flown in remote areas where I didn't need service, or to connect to phone. Can you clarify what issues you've experienced?

4) Yes I believe the drone stabilizes without GPS using both internal sensors, and machine vision approaches. With the Avata 1, if you flew indoors, and the environment became too dark, it would start to noticeably drift and possible crash. Testing the Avata 2 indoors, it performed A LOT better in general, and in dark environments. I haven't tested it in a very dark room yet, but it flew much much better than the Avata 1 indoors.

5) I did notice that the headset by default was very blurry for me. I adjusted the dials to "-250" (not sure what units that is) but it helped the clarity immensely! I've noticed other people who try it will usually put on different settings, but in general, you will see dramatic clarity (or blurriness) by adjusting those dials!

Lastly, I did notice that lateral movements (sideways) with the Avata 2 appears to tilt the drone a lot more than the Avata 1.. It could be that it's able to translate faster, and hence can tilt a bit more, but I haven't investigated it yet. Just wanted to note that, as it means you want to be gentle on the joystick when translating left and right so the drone does not tilt too much.

Here is a quick first flight sample I uploaded to Youtube recently -

Reactions: harleydude
1) New FPV Controller 3 doesn't appear to have a lot of noticeable differences to the FPV Controller 2. It really just adds support for DJI O4 which is needed to communicate with the Avata 2 (and likely can support Mini 4 Pro)
I meant a comparison between traditional controllers and the new FPV controller. Was it a jump you were comfortable with? Did it take time to get used to it? Or do you find the new style more intuitive?

2) Not yet. There are rumors of an upcoming DJI update to add backwards compatibility for the Avata 2 to work with FPV Controller 2 (and possible Integra or Goggles v2)
Good to know.

3) I have not had any RID startup issues during the few months of owning the DJI Avata 1. In fact, I've flown in remote areas where I didn't need service, or to connect to phone. Can you clarify what issues you've experienced?
Before hacking my drones, I would encounter erroneous NFZ issues. This happened as recently as a year ago When I was nowhere near an NFZ. No NOTAM's, either. Fortunately, I had my hacked drone with me and just used that one. This "glitch" would've cost me thousands of dollars and would have really pissed off the client who deployed an entire survey team 100 miles out of town to get these shots.

1713153420206.png

4) Yes I believe the drone stabilizes without GPS using both internal sensors, and machine vision approaches. With the Avata 1, if you flew indoors, and the environment became too dark, it would start to noticeably drift and possible crash. Testing the Avata 2 indoors, it performed A LOT better in general, and in dark environments. I haven't tested it in a very dark room yet, but it flew much much better than the Avata 1 indoors.
I'm only interested in the Avata 2. Good to know.

5) I did notice that the headset by default was very blurry for me. I adjusted the dials to "-250" (not sure what units that is) but it helped the clarity immensely!
Soooo...would you say that your FPV goggle image is nice and clear?

I've noticed other people who try it will usually put on different settings, but in general, you will see dramatic clarity (or blurriness) by adjusting those dials!
I wish I had a pair to try.

Lastly, I did notice that lateral movements (sideways) with the Avata 2 appears to tilt the drone a lot more than the Avata 1.. It could be that it's able to translate faster, and hence can tilt a bit more, but I haven't investigated it yet. Just wanted to note that, as it means you want to be gentle on the joystick when translating left and right so the drone does not tilt too much.

Here is a quick first flight sample I uploaded to Youtube recently -
I'll be using the Avata 2 for building forensics. But good to know and thanx for the video.

D

Responding to a couple of your queries above:

1) "I meant a comparison between traditional controllers and the new FPV controller. Was it a jump you were comfortable with? Did it take time to get used to it? Or do you find the new style more intuitive?"

I fly a Phantom and, over the last four months, an Avata. If by traditional controller, you mean something like the Phantom's, then yes, it's an easy switch. The main thing I've changed is adopting the pinch grip for the joysticks. That takes a little bit of practice to get used to. It's a better choice for FPV, and now I use it for the P4 as well.

5) "Soooo...would you say that your FPV goggle image is nice and clear?"

I have the Goggles V2, which I specifically chose over the Goggles 2 because of problems I read about with the fit over the nose. The V2 doesn't have built-in corrective lenses, so I wear my glasses - which fit fine. I'm long-sighted. It can be tricky to match the focal length of the goggles' view, but I've managed to get a reasonable focus. I don't know if you can fit your own lenses to the Goggles 3, but if all else fails, you could select a neutral lens and get a pair of glasses made specifically for you and those goggles.

Interestingly, if you're familiar with the original DJI 'white' goggles or Goggles RE, the image quality is not as good. I don't know why the new tech has given us something worse than we had before in that respect!

Last edited:
The Goggles 3 adjust well to me, picture's clearer than the 2 although smaller.
The FPV controller 3 is basically the same as the 2 I was using with both the DJI FPV and Avata, the removal of the flip-out antenna is welcome though.

I don't know why the new tech has given us something worse than we had before in that respect!
Size. Every step they've been sized down because people complained about the bulk there was a compromise to make...

I don't yet own the Avata 2 yet, but I have been flying the original Avata for a year with the Motion controller. Flying with the motion controller is easy to learn. For flying inside of barns and attics where GPS is blocked and no available lighting, I use these lights from Fire House Technology. This works well for me. There is a video on the manufacture web site. dji avata fpv light kit

I don't know if there are mounts yet available for the Avata 2 at this time.

Hope this helps.

I don't yet own the Avata 2 yet, but I have been flying the original Avata for a year with the Motion controller. Flying with the motion controller is easy to learn. For flying inside of barns and attics where GPS is blocked and no available lighting, I use these lights from Fire House Technology. This works well for me. There is a video on the manufacture web site. dji avata fpv light kit

I don't know if there are mounts yet available for the Avata 2 at this time.

Hope this helps.
Since this will be used to collect structural damage data for buildings that have been damaged, this external light may be a very good idea. Is it switchable?

D

5) "Soooo...would you say that your FPV goggle image is nice and clear?"

I have the Goggles V2, which I specifically chose over the Goggles 2 because of problems I read about with the fit over the nose. The V2 doesn't have built-in corrective lenses, so I wear my glasses - which fit fine.
Yeah...this is something I really wish to avoid. I do NOT want to have to carry and wear cheaters every time I fly. The funny thing is that the old technology goggles (FatShark Dominator V3) allow me to focus perfectly without glasses. Conversely, the much more modern goggles (with the large LCD screen built in) were horrible. I couldn't focus at all. And as I pointed out, having to wear glasses while I FPV is a deal-breaker.

I'm long-sighted. It can be tricky to match the focal length of the goggles' view, but I've managed to get a reasonable focus.
I am long-sighted, as well. I use 1.5 cheaters for anything closer than 1 foot from my skull bone. If I'm reading you correctly, the goggles that come with the Avata 2 "kit" require that you wear cheaters to use them, yes???

Forgive me that I don't know the difference between "Goggles V2" and "Goggles 2." I found this:

...which doesn't really talk about focus.

While not new to FPV, I AM new to these new, modern goggle offerings.

I don't know if you can fit your own lenses to the Goggles 3, but if all else fails, you could select a neutral lens and get a pair of glasses made specifically for you and those goggles.
As long as the glass is integrated into the goggles, I would be okay with that. But sounds like another expense.

Interestingly, if you're familiar with the original DJI 'white' goggles or Goggles RE, the image quality is not as good.
Those were the goggles that I tried for roughly 60 seconds and then sold. Fortunately, because I had purchased them essentially very gently used, I was able to sell them for the same price I purchased them. They were horrid.

I don't know why the new tech has given us something worse than we had before in that respect!
Agreed! I would look into FatShark offerings, but I assume that they would not be compatible with the Avata 2. More research is required.

D

The Goggles 2 and 3 have built-in diopter adjustments, plus come with additional lenses for more. The V2 don't have any adjustment.
So you're less likely to need a 3rd party solution with the 2 and 3, but some are available if you do.

Reactions: Pygar70
You should be good without the cheaters. I use 2.0 cheaters to read and have no problem wearing the goggles without any correction.

1. Avata2(A2) is my first DJI platform. Motion Controller 3(MC3) are limited to N and S mode. Even setting the gains to max this has been the the easiest drone to fly relative to a non-DJI UAS using traditional stick controllers. Hard to crash unless you hit something. The stabilization system reduces overcorrection and hitting anything. I backslides into a tree with my 6s non-DJI quad. Didn't compensate for momentum with enough or any throttle input. Tested the A2. N mode. Full throttle up the driveway for ~100 meters. Picked a spot to stop. Let go of the trigger. Stopped well short of where I thought I would. Motors went from relatively quiet to a not pleasant scream. Probably not a healthy thing to do.

My indoors UAS is the BetaFPV Aquila which has an optical and barometric sensor that more or less lets you easily hover when in N or S mode (angle or horizon mode). A2 is significantly more stable. No throttle modulation required. No drift correction indoors required. The MC3 took a battery or two to get a good feel for. At least for my skill level or lack of it. MC3 lacks the "flow" of non DJI quads with conventional Tx. Flow as in higher speed smooth, agile, and precise maneuvering. Not an issue for your needs. Assuming you don't mind more of a up and down pace.

2.Right now I think the only trad Tx you can use with it is the Radio Controller 3. The A2 passes all signals through the Goggle 3 (G3). Not sure if any other DJI controller can link with the G3.

3/4.Was unaware of the issue. Until couple days ago don't think I was connected to the DJI Fly App. or WiFi or Internet. Home page Profile showed zeros for all data. Got around to Sync Flight Data yesterday. Motor start up was no issue as long as the GPS captured IIRC 7-8 satellites. Which outdoors was almost instantaneously. Have hover tested indoors the A2 with IIRC zero or whatever Red color sat means. Didn't really have any issues hovering in more or less one spot. My steel roof blocks GPS sat signal on the Garmin handheld as well. So, not a DJI only issue. Unsure of minimal light necessary for the sensors to function. IIRC, the Pilot Institute YTube video show the A2 totally out of control after several feet into a dark culvert. Don't remember which flight mode, but guessing N or S. Guessing got too dark. No reflective surfaces for the sensors to detect.

5. No other digital system to compare against. Relative to analog a world of difference. Best analog system owned is the SkyZone with Steadview Rx and TrueRC M-Air antennae. Like you need readers (+1.75 od, +2.00 os) when wearing corrective eyewear due to near sighted (+150 os, +75od)Have set the adjustable diopters to +100 and +50. Less eye strain for longer sessions than actual prescription. No issues overall with the G3. Sharpness of the pop up warning boxes is not razor sharp.

Last edited:
One issue indoors. For whatever reason. A warning pops up about googles calibration interference or something. For whatever reason the interference warning disappeared when I went out of the house. So I just have ignored it. Still able to engage motors and launch indoors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viorel007