Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New to fpv haven’t got a quad yet but had a question about flight

Ayayeron

Reaction score
I currently fly my mavic 2 zoom and it’s got all the bells and whistles you can think of. Do race drones have gps hold or does it not hover in place

It will not hold altitude or position, so you have to constantly move throttle up/down and if in acromode attempt to hover level, even stability/level mode will drift due to wind etc

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I have a DJI Phantom and a few FPV quads. Apples and oranges when it comes to flying.
Agreed, totally different. A Mavic, and the like, fly themselves, you just tell it where to go! What your thinking of will be a whole new story in the hobby for you.
Someone that can fly a race quad can definitely fly a Mavic, but the opposite isn't usually the case, these don't fly themselves, but they are soooo much more rewarding once you can fly them.
My P4P+ gets out about every 3 months, my race/acro quads get out almost every day.

Reactions: Futuramille
.....My P4P+ gets out about every 3 months, my race/acro quads get out almost every day.

I was SO impressed with my Mavic Pro when I got it. Now I am on the same timetable as you. My $1000+ drone sits in my basement waiting forever for me to take it out and play, and my $150 Leader 3 gets beat on pretty much every day that it isn't raining.

My Mavic is unbelievable for taking beautiful slow moving movies/pictures from the air, but, since I took up FPV, it just doesn't offer the thrill of actually "piloting". When you get in trouble with the Mavic, let go of the sticks and it will save itself. Let go of the sticks on my Leader 3 for a microsecond and it's either digging a hole or trying to "deleaf" the nearest tree. Heck, I'm happy if I can go 10 minutes without smashing it into the ground.........

Peter T.

....Someone that can fly a race quad can definitely fly a Mavic,....

Unless you have been flying your freestyle quad for the past 3 months and and you try to make your Mavic go faster by instinctively laying into the left stick. I was wondering why it wasn't speeding up but the houses were looking smaller and smaller.......

oops

Peter T

Unless you have been flying your freestyle quad for the past 3 months
LOL! Yeah, we have all had that brain fart trying to transition from one to the other, but the Mavic didn't crash because you applied the wrong movement at first. But the Mavic/Phantom "pilot" that thinks they know how to fly because they can push an autonomous quad through the air, are shocked to find that they really know very little about being a real pilot. I often hear them say things like, my FPV feed is bad compared to my Mavic, or, somethings wrong because the quad won't hover in one place like the Mavic. LOL

The mavic is simply a tool, a flying camera and does a great job at that fully automated task. Actually rather hard to crash, especially the pro 2, It stays exactly where you put it in the air and simply waits for you to take your selfies and vacation photos.

Flying a race/acro kwad on the other hand is like balancing a BB on top of a bowling ball. Its a personal adrenalin pump and completely reliant on your thumbs to stay in the air. Add FPV, "climb inside" and flying seat of your pants.... that's the addiction! What a rush!

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captadam