Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Lost video signal took 3hrs to find my quad and ouch my legs

Scv Flyer

Reaction score
So I was flying yesterday at one of my favorite spots when I lost video signal and crashed. Took me 3hrs of hiking through the bush to find my quad and boy did my legs take a beating. But at least I found it!!

Attachments

• 9D1D9491-64E9-459D-8993-BFB20365F046.jpeg
    9D1D9491-64E9-459D-8993-BFB20365F046.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: rtkDarling

This was the crash from my longest search. 6 hours on day one, 2 hours on day two before I found it. I walked over 10 miles back and forth along my flight path. She spent the night upside down in a pond. Lost the FC, the ECCs, the battery and the GoPro (it was cracked so it's no longer waterproof) Everything else works though, and I recovered the SD card obviously. I'd still be out there today if I hadn't found it ?
#noquadleftbehind

View attachment 3322

This was the crash from my longest search. 6 hours on day one, 2 hours on day two before I found it. I walked over 10 miles back and forth along my flight path. She spent the night upside down in a pond. Lost the FC, the ECCs, the battery and the GoPro (it was cracked so it's no longer waterproof) Everything else works though, and I recovered the SD card obviously. I'd still be out there today if I hadn't found it ?
#noquadleftbehind
Yep, I wouldn’t give up. I can usually find them but the trees are reluctant to give them back. May get one of those telescopic fishing poles on eBay, good for quite a few metres and still fit in the car. Have you tried fitting gps modules to the quads worth hunting down? Not so much for the rth feature but locating them in the forest when you’ve got a man down situation. I use the small blue tooth buttons which are reasonable up to 80-100m but shite beyond that.

Reactions: Wayno52
I use Hellgate buzzers on all my deep woods builds, they're great. I had just started to get cocky when I lost that quad, and the hellgates don't work under water. That's a part I forgot to list. Since they have their own little battery, it was also destroyed in the water. Only $20 though. I haven't tried a GPS yet

I use Hellgate buzzers on all my deep woods builds, they're great. I had just started to get cocky when I lost that quad, and the hellgates don't work under water. That's a part I forgot to list. Since they have their own little battery, it was also destroyed in the water. Only $20 though. I haven't tried a GPS yet
My experience is always the last battery and I do something stupid. Considering a GPS unit for the chameleon ti as it is clearly my favourite and I will cry incessantly if I lose it. The only standalone unit I can find in the event of a huge stack is along the lines of a Marco Polo unit but then I may as well fly my dji stuff given the bulk of the unit.

Yup, we all face the same dramas of flying. Basically anywhere with thick trees, bushland,water and other obstacles.
Would any of us change it though?

I seriously doubt it.
We all fly our own style, our own pace ,our own way.
No right or wrongs just follow your heart and fly.

Reactions: Futuramille
I have to give you guys credit for your commitment to finding a downed drone, and i completely understand it. It would drive my crazy thinking about where it might be. It also makes me feel better as a newbie since I spent an hour looking for my TinyHawk on day one, and that was a much smaller investment. Part of the hobby I guess.

Had a failsafe and went down in in field... Every plant for acres looked just like the ones in the goggles. I can't remember where I read about someone using their patch antenna signal strength to locate a quad, but I tried it and was able to get close enough to hear it. I took the omni off the goggles and was surprised to see just how directional the patch antenna was. That got us within 10ft of it. Luckily my son's young ears could pick up the whine of the esc while we walked circles around it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlysTroe