Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Looking for help connecting a 12 volt camera to a video transmitter

DominionOffRoad

Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm attempting to connect a camera to a remote site that is one mile away. I know very little about how to do this, but have seen that drone technology has made it fairly inexpensive to do so. However...

I need a higher focal length than that of most drone cameras. I purchased a camera that has a zoom range from 2.8mm to 12mm and believe that this will serve my purpose well. The camera is wired for video surveillance and has one bnc video signal connector and a common video surveillance power connector. The camera is 12 volt and the signal is NTSC. From these two connectors, the cable uses three wires to connect to the camera. Red, Black and Yellow.

Splicing a connector to the camera, the VTX seems to be putting out a signal, but the screen is black. I'm assuming the camera output from my VTX is 5 volts and that just isn't enough power for the camera.

My questions;

Does anybody know of an inexpensive VTX that has a 12 volt camera output?

Does anybody know of a good RX antenna? It doesn't need to be small. I'm currently looking at something like the Menace RC PicoPatch or a yagi directional antenna.

Anything else I should be thinking about with this project?

Attachments

• BMW_2004.JPG
    BMW_2004.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • BMW_2006.JPG
    BMW_2006.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • BMW_2007.JPG
    BMW_2007.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
I found this (picture below) and it may represent the best solution. Thoughts?

Also, about how much time would one guess to get out of a 2200ma S3 battery?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    583.8 KB · Views: 3
Not sure how mobile your camera has to be, but....

Whenever a peripheral or device requires 12v, I always consider batteries, especially old drone batteries. I presently use a 12v router for my mapping missions, and an old Phantom 4 battery does an awesome job. By my estimate, I'm getting about 80 hours continuous use out of that battery, which easily equates to over a dozen jobs before I have to even think about the battery. Knowing how much capacity I have left courtesy the LED's is a godsend in the field. And, of course, having a spare on hand is a piece of cake. I just retired batteries that have over 90 flights on them, and they still work perfectly for these low-current devices.

DDSC08198.JPGDSC08199.JPGDSC08200.JPGDSC08201.JPG

Not sure how mobile your camera has to be, but....

Whenever a peripheral or device requires 12v, I always consider batteries, especially old drone batteries. I presently use a 12v router for my mapping missions, and an old Phantom 4 battery does an awesome job. By my estimate, I'm getting about 80 hours continuous use out of that battery, which easily equates to over a dozen jobs before I have to even think about the battery. Knowing how much capacity I have left courtesy the LED's is a godsend in the field. And, of course, having a spare on hand is a piece of cake. I just retired batteries that have over 90 flights on them, and they still work perfectly for these low-current devices.

DView attachment 6406View attachment 6407View attachment 6408View attachment 6409
I had to look it up, but 80 hours from a battery that's about 5800 mHh. That's really good to know. Thanks.

I had to look it up, but 80 hours from a battery that's about 5800 mHh. That's really good to know. Thanks.
It will depend on the draw of your WiFi router, of course. I think mine pulls like 100mA. I'll have to check....which technically comes out to 58 hours.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18