Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Long Range Build

BlueLineFPV

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time to look at this post. Iam in the process of building a mid to long range drone now that I have my R9m in. So far it's been working great for me. But anyhow the thing that is the most limiting is flight time when it comes to long range. To combat that, I will have to build a more efficient quad. I've heard that a bigger propeller on a bigger motor with lower kv would increase efficiency.
What would be some motor recommendations if that were true??

Somewhere around 8 minutes if I take it easy, I have an 1800mah graphene ordered with a lower C rating, hoping to get over 10 minutes

Somewhere around 8 minutes if I take it easy, I have an 1800mah graphene ordered with a lower C rating, hoping to get over 10 minutes
I've been looking at several 2207 motors to get. Iam not trying to break the bank too bad with them. Lol however I wouldn't be planning on crashing this rig like I do my freestyle one.

I don't have any experience with these motors but I was going to recommend them as well. I deal pretty well exclusively with RDQ, their products are great quality and customer service is second to none.

I love the HQ Prop 6x4x3 v1s, I can get 10-12 minutes easy on 1500kv 2208s with a 1400 or 1500 Mah 4s. Most of my builds have been 6s capable "long range" style (though admittedly heavy) but I don't have the radio or video setups to get that far away. I built them for the flight time because they're primarily video platforms, and I run them on 4s, with some 5s "Turbo packs" up my sleeve. I got desync and occilation on 6s and never really stuck with it, but with the top 20% of the throttle cut off I was getting 12 minutes plus on a 1300Mah 6s

I know it's crazy, but I did one with Tmotor f80s, those are 2408 1900kv monsters. Smooth power on tap, awesome response, and they're surprisingly efficient on 6". I could get to 10 minutes if I flew gently, or you can set your stack on FIRE if you put the petal to the floor (which I did, an HGLRC 4in1). They're pretty heavy though...

For the range I'd consider smaller motors too. I like the numbers on this one
(7 grams lighter than the Xilo, that's almost 25% weight savings):
Hyperlite 2205.5-1722KV HV EDITION

Good looking frame you chose BTW

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with these motors but I was going to recommend them as well. I deal pretty well exclusively with RDQ, their products are great quality and customer service is second to none.
Iam with you there. All I ever buy from anymore is RDQ, which is why I asked you about them motors lol I had just picked up the 2205 2450kv the other day and iam about to test them today, but not for this purpose here of course.

I love the HQ Prop 6x4x3 v1s, I can get 10-12 minutes easy on 1500kv 2208s with a 1400 or 1500 Mah 4s. Most of my builds have been 6s capable "long range" style (though admittedly heavy) but I don't have the radio or video setups to get that far away. I built them for the flight time because they're primarily video platforms, and I run them on 4s, with some 5s "Turbo packs" up my sleeve. I got desync and occilation on 6s and never really stuck with it, but with the top 20% of the throttle cut off I was getting 12 minutes plus on a 1300Mah 6s

I know it's crazy, but I did one with Tmotor f80s, those are 2408 1900kv monsters. Smooth power on tap, awesome response, and they're surprisingly efficient on 6". I could get to 10 minutes if I flew gently, or you can set your stack on FIRE if you put the petal to the floor (which I did, an HGLRC 4in1). They're pretty heavy though...

For the range I'd consider smaller motors too. I like the numbers on this one
(7 grams lighter than the Xilo, that's almost 25% weight savings):
Hyperlite 2205.5-1722KV HV EDITION

Good looking frame you chose BTW
I'll have to give those props a try that you mentioned there. And yes the Hornet Fs277 is one awesome frame! Its held up to the beating I put it through as well as the other team pilots lol could not ask for anything better at its price point. I prolly will never run 6s batteries just because of how much more expencive they are compared to 4s. But I do plan on getting some 5s packs just for this rig iam building here. Thanks for the advice!!!

Reactions: rtkDarling

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax