Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Is it rude? Or am I being unreasonable?

To fly or not to fly, this is the question.

• Total voters

M3talrocksFPV

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Of course parks are ment for everybody, but when there's literally nearly 2-3 football fields of space, is it rude of me to get upset when people let their dogs off leash and walk them through the particular spot I'm flying and start playing right in front of me? I love dogs to death and don't want to hurt anyone or anything, so I immediately ground and wait (last thing I want is to lose signal and smash into someone dog or person). I've filed with local airports even though I'm well below the ceiling and have taken proper precautions. I have a lot of gear and it takes quite a while to pack up and move plus I was here first. My wife says I'm hogging the area but I don't feel that I am. Only taking about 100 sqft, or 33 sq meters (i think, not good at metric). What's your opinion?

If there are other places for them to let the dog play, I would continue flying.

Maybe they are rude, maybe they are quadcopter fans and want to get a close up view. Maybe they unaware of how hard to control these quads can be.

Either way, if you do not intentionally overfly them, and stay 25ft away from them you are fine. It is not your responsibility to determine their motives, or to provide more than 25ft of space to them.

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

Perfect, that' the exact rules I'm flying by have print out and everything. Don't think they're kwad fans, just got yelled at by some women and I wasn't even in the air, Just sitting at a bench lol. Oh well to each their own plus the sheriff is sitting with me now, he's gonna do a ride along with me with my extra monitor haha, but I just don't wanna be a d*** and ruin everyone's day. Thanks for the advise man I appreciate it!

Reactions: Futuramille
It can be frustrating at times but you have to remember that it's public property and they have just as much right to be there as you do.

It may be good practice to use a smallish, quiet quad like maybe a 3" or 4" light build, in situations where people are nearby. I usually have to be extra nice because I am flying on private propery (golf course behind my house). But at the park, I just try to be generally courteous but not go overboard worrying about it.

Out of these 2 answers your poll
  1. Rightfully upset
  2. Wife's right as usual
There is only one answer at my house and it's the same on everything , #2 :oops:

Have the same problem when I fly at my local beach. I try t9 avoid dogs , and horses, as well as people, but they insist on walking towards the flight path and aircraft. All I can do is land and live to fly another day with a bit of luck. These sort of places are for everyone even drone pilots. Seems we will always be in the wrong, especially if married, as following all the adverse publicity that has come out in recent years, it seems that all drone flyers must be a dodgy bunch.
I am certainly not a doggy bunch though. I would never deliberately hurt any animal but it came close when trying to land my drone as there were too many people and dogs about. Would have gone well except someone’s dog wanted to smash the drone. I had to keep it in the air until said owner could be persuaded to move. Battery in critical by then.

Reactions: M3talrocksFPV
Have the same problem when I fly at my local beach. I try t9 avoid dogs , and horses, as well as people, but they insist on walking towards the flight path and aircraft. All I can do is land and live to fly another day with a bit of luck. These sort of places are for everyone even drone pilots. Seems we will always be in the wrong, especially if married, as following all the adverse publicity that has come out in recent years, it seems that all drone flyers must be a dodgy bunch.
I am certainly not a doggy bunch though. I would never deliberately hurt any animal but it came close when trying to land my drone as there were too many people and dogs about. Would have gone well except someone’s dog wanted to smash the drone. I had to keep it in the air until said owner could be persuaded to move. Battery in critical by then.
Exactly! I don't mind sharing the area, I'm always respectful of others and fly within legal limits. But it's like "yo, you don't walk in front of a group of people playing football or something do you?" The thing that gets me is the off leash. That's the law, I'm following it, you should too. I can adjust for people, but it's harder with a stray animal. Especially when there's a designated, fenced area for that. And I never mind little kids coming over to look I just say, stay close to me so I know where you're at

Same rules here too. Keep dog on a leash at all times, and pick up after them. That’s two things they do not do. Makes it hard to look out for people, airplanes and other things when you have to watch where you put your feet (especially wearing sandals like me). Even worse was when I was flying once a guy comes along with his r/c aircraft and start flying in my area and buzzed me a couple of times too. Had I not got to rescue my craft from this words would have been said. He was gone by the time I could get my aircraft safely on the ground. It’s like we drone pilots are now some kind of pariah, or a felon. Still I will carry on fighting the good fight. Perhaps when one of them loses Rover on the beach they may ask if I can find them. Hope springs eternal.

Same rules here too. Keep dog on a leash at all times, and pick up after them. That’s two things they do not do. Makes it hard to look out for people, airplanes and other things when you have to watch where you put your feet (especially wearing sandals like me). Even worse was when I was flying once a guy comes along with his r/c aircraft and start flying in my area and buzzed me a couple of times too. Had I not got to rescue my craft from this words would have been said. He was gone by the time I could get my aircraft safely on the ground. It’s like we drone pilots are now some kind of pariah, or a felon. Still I will carry on fighting the good fight. Perhaps when one of them loses Rover on the beach they may ask if I can find them. Hope springs eternal.
We'll stick together! Haha

Happens to me all the time some don't seem to realise others follow me around the place obviously being awkward. Wasn't able to fly at all the other day every time I set up someone came running into my area. If people are playing sport I don't set up a picnic in the middle of the field! Unfortunately a lot of people have nothing better to do than go around looking for a fight. I just smile and walk away but one couple got glared at before I gave up and went home fed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shempi