Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Fpv goggles not working right

Gotrdone

Reaction score
EV800d goggles only work for about twenty feet up in the air then signal is lost

Well I didn’t actually wear them my daughter did. I wasn’t brave enough to wear them yet while flying but she said that as soon as I got above our tree in the yard which is only twenty feet tall the screen went fuzzy grey. And when I come back down video comes back.

Ok, sure you have no doubt but you do have antennas on the goggles?
Matching polarisation?
The antennas are on and I watched a YouTube video so I new which one went where. If on my face the round one is on the right and flat one on the left

Is the antenna securely attached to the quad? May need to check the other end of the antenna pigtail that connects to the VTX as well.

Are the VTX and the goggles on the same channel? You can still get video when the transmitter and receiver are close together, even if they're on different channels, if the channel frequencies are close enough.

What power level is the VTX set to? Try setting it up to a higher level if available.

Was the quad in direct view of the goggles, with no obstructions in between? Trees, buildings, and even people can block the video signal.

Test the signal on the ground. Remove the props (!), connect the battery, and have someone carry the quad away from the goggles. How far can they get before the video in the goggles starts to degrade?

If you have the stock antennas on the goggles as shown in pictures you have a big null right above the goggles, you can test it by bending the coax on the antenna to point the active area up to see if it helps, also the stock antennas are pretty terrible, and it also doesn't matter which side they are on.

I use EV800D goggles and found the stock antennas to actually be very good. The omni especially performs great. I was getting over 1000ft with mine. Big trees however play havok with it so you need to keep line of sight. What quad and VTX power you running as mine is set to 200mw with just a single linear whip antenna.

Yeah the omni is actually fine, but the patch is not very good really, still there is a null (dead spot) straight up and down from the antenna, so if you fly straight up above you you end up in the doughnut hole signal wise.

Reactions: coyote_dc5
Is the antenna securely attached to the quad? May need to check the other end of the antenna pigtail that connects to the VTX as well.

Are the VTX and the goggles on the same channel? You can still get video when the transmitter and receiver are close together, even if they're on different channels, if the channel frequencies are close enough.

What power level is the VTX set to? Try setting it up to a higher level if available.

Was the quad in direct view of the goggles, with no obstructions in between? Trees, buildings, and even people can block the video signal.

Test the signal on the ground. Remove the props (!), connect the battery, and have someone carry the quad away from the goggles. How far can they get before the video in the goggles starts to degrade?
Good tips I’ll try tomorrow after work if I have time and get back to you. Thanks

Good tips I’ll try tomorrow after work if I have time and get back to you. Thanks
I only had about 10 minutes to tinker with it but I checked antennas and they are tight and I plugged in drone sat it on the porch and started walking with goggles got about 100 yards and wasn’t bad but searching channels it lands on different one every time like channel a7 then b something then d7 then r something I don’t know which one to pick they all look the same. And here comes the weird part. Right when I hit the search channel again the picture is super good for a split second every time.

Since you can get a picture on channels that are close in frequency to the one the VTX is broadcasting on, the auto scan doesn't always work very well, as it will often stop on the first decent channel it finds. And that may not be the correct channel. It's best to find out what channel the VTX is set to (check the manual to find out how to verify yours), and set the goggles manually to that same channel.

I use EV800D goggles and found the stock antennas to actually be very good. The omni especially performs great. I was getting over 1000ft with mine. Big trees however play havok with it so you need to keep line of sight. What quad and VTX power you running as mine is set to 200mw with just a single linear whip antenna.

Not sure what vtx I’m using but have the emaxhawk 5 pro. I did get channel set right and found the antenna cable came off of vtx after I took the body off. Still haven’t tried it yet been working. I’ll try today.

Think is uses the built in 20-200mw built in VTX with a single linear antenna. Just make sure it's been unlocked to 200mw as well to give maximum power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18