Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

easy but weird question for a beginner

FLeye+

Reaction score
Hi! I just downloaded the DRL simulator two nights ago as a means of entry into drone racing. Since I'm just starting out, I'd really like to learn the right way, the first time. Something that concerns me is the measurable difference in dexterity between my left hand and right hand (broke my left thumb twice, so it's a bit stiff, I have full control, but I can't move it as swiftly as my right). Because I can set throttle, pitch, yaw, and roll to different sticks and direction, I'd prefer to set the flight aspects that require the most extreme/rapid movements to my right stick. I figured I should just ask which those are before I get used to any one particular set up. Thanks!

Welcome Fleye, you can opt for mode 1 right stick throttle or mode 2 left stick throttle. There is no right or wrong way it is just whatever you feel most comfortable with. As you are in drl land, it doesn’t matter if you crash or not. And you will, lots . I think you will find most pilots are set up in mode 2. But like I said no right or wrong. What I would do in drl land is try a while in both and see what works for you. Also adjust rate settings. Start on easy( slower) response then work it up. Good luck

Sounds to me like ya need to switch yaw and left/right roll while using mode 2 (yaw being the most extreme)
Sorry, this is the first time I've heard anything about a modes. Can you break that down into left stick up/down, left stick L/R, right stick up/down, right stick L/R assignments? Thank you!

Typically you have throttle/yaw on one stick and pitch/roll on the other. Mode 2 is most common, which is throtte on the left. Throttle has no spring for return to center, so you should choose a mode before you buy your radio. Personally, I would put pitch/roll on your better performing hand. You can swap yaw and roll if you like, as virtue suggested but I have not tried flying that way.

Hi! I just downloaded the DRL simulator two nights ago as a means of entry into drone racing. Since I'm just starting out, I'd really like to learn the right way, the first time. Something that concerns me is the measurable difference in dexterity between my left hand and right hand (broke my left thumb twice, so it's a bit stiff, I have full control, but I can't move it as swiftly as my right). Because I can set throttle, pitch, yaw, and roll to different sticks and direction, I'd prefer to set the flight aspects that require the most extreme/rapid movements to my right stick. I figured I should just ask which those are before I get used to any one particular set up. Thanks!
You are going about this the right way, learn the sim and when you get your quad, you'll be able to fly it. If you go into your quad settings on drl and add expo to your roll, pitch and yaw, its alot easier. (this is what you will do with the real thing also) Just don't be scared to play around with your settings, you'll eventually find settings that work well for you. Also, it helps to reduce the cameras pov from 70 down to 60 or 55

Reactions: Wayno52
Listen to Virtue, don't be like me. I got my drone and then learned about the sim.... after breaking multiple props, 2 antennas, and a VTX. Lol I've only had my quad for a 3 weeks or so. I also set my FOV to 80 since that's what my goggles are set to. The more realistic the settings are to you're equipment, the better for you when you're out flying.

Sounds to me like ya need to switch yaw and left/right roll while using mode 2 (yaw being the most extreme)
I can see why this would apply in racing. I'm interested in doing a lot of acro, too. Does that change which flight direction will be the most extreme?

In this hobby, everything is extreme. For me personally I believe you are thinking about it too much. In drl land you can crash and burn as much as you like without consequences. In the real world you unfortunately just have to strap on a pack and go for it. Trust me you will crash(lots) but you will learn from it and gradually get better. Sims are fantastic but not perfect. Get the bird in the air and start slowly and safely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CollatixWolfe