Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Capacitor installation

psybersapien

Reaction score
Will a capacitor installed on the battery wires to a 4-in-1 ESC work as expected (picture below)?
I can't use the typical install locations on the solder pads or on a XT60 WaFL board.

IMG_1957.jpeg

That would, of course, be better that no capacitor and it should work OK if you locate it as close to the ESC as possible.

Assuming it's actually soldered to the wires and not just poked in of course 😂

Reactions: okw
That would, of course, be better that no capacitor and it should work OK if you locate it as close to the ESC as possible.
Understood. I'm rethinking the capacitor installation location after I've been able to put together a prototype with all the main parts I plan to use in the build. But it's good to know this approach is feasible. Not optimal but, as you say, better than nothing.

Reactions: warriorboxerdog1
May be needless to say but it's metal on metal so I didn't think I needed the solder joint.
Moving metal on moving metal, so that's just going to cause poor/intermittent contact.
And the whole purpose for the cap is to smooth out high current spikes, so for it to be of any use the connection needs to be as good and low resistance as possible.

Moving metal on moving metal, so that's just going to cause poor/intermittent contact.
And the whole purpose for the cap is to smooth out high current spikes, so for it to be of any use the connection needs to be as good and low resistance as possible.
Good to know!
I'll find a way to solder the capacitor directly to the ESC power pads.
Appreciate the feedback!

If you had to I would think you could strip like a 3/4 inch off the battery leads. Solder the cap then use heat shrink to insulate the connection so it doesn't short out and leave enough wire exposed to solder to the esc. It would move the cap back some, still have a good connection.

If you had to I would think you could strip like a 3/4 inch off the battery leads. Solder the cap then use heat shrink to insulate the connection so it doesn't short out and leave enough wire exposed to solder to the esc. It would move the cap back some, still have a good connection.
I was building a Geprc Cinelog35 V2 and it didn't seem I could fit the right size capacitor in the area they gave in the frame.
So I was trying to think of alternatives.
As it turns out, there is a small "notch" in the stack area where, if I solder the cap to the power pads on the AIO I have, the cap will just fit. Not perfect but as good as I would expect.
Maybe the frame designers considered this? I don't know because the frame came with basically no assembly instructions.
And I haven't seen a pre-built Cinelog35 up close and personal to take notes.

I can provide a pic if you're interested. Otherwise, it may not be obvious with a simple picture and I'd rather not take it apart. Yet 😄. I'm sure I will have to at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18