Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Acro Tips in Sims

Torc

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Not wanting to keep another post hijacked, I thought I'd start a new thread.

So I am going to throw the horizon option out the window on Freerider, what other tips do you vets have that you've learned?

I plan to work on the basics as mentioned in the other post, but it would be good to learn from others mistakes and findings.

Not wanting to keep another post hijacked, I thought I'd start a new thread.

So I am going to throw the horizon option out the window on Freerider, what other tips do you vets have that you've learned?

I plan to work on the basics as mentioned in the other post, but it would be good to learn from others mistakes and findings.
First thing I learned going from horizon (angle mode) to acro (rate mode) is your yaw to roll/pitch ratio is much different. I tended to use way too much yaw since you have to continuously be pushing the pitch forward with horizon because the quad will level if you let go of the stick. This means you'll mostly use yaw to turn. Acro you have to pull back to level off and use more roll to turn. This was a difficult adjustment at first and created a lot of bouncing in the video (jelly). I find with my rates it's about 3:1 ratio instead of almost 1:1 that horizon makes you do

Would starting out with low rates help, or go for broke and stay on high rates?
First thing I learned going from horizon (angle mode) to acro (rate mode) is your yaw to roll/pitch ratio is much different. I tended to use way too much yaw since you have to continuously be pushing the pitch forward with horizon because the quad will level if you let go of the stick. This means you'll mostly use yaw to turn. Acro you have to pull back to level off and use more roll to turn. This was a difficult adjustment at first and created a lot of bouncing in the video (jelly). I find with my rates it's about 3:1 ratio instead of almost 1:1 that horizon makes you do

means you'll mostly use yaw to turn. Acro you have to pull back to level off and use more roll to turn.

I was watching your input and noticed how you turned using both Y&P as you turned. I picked up on that with the short time I flew in acro, it does take practice to do that successfully.

I was watching your input and noticed how you turned using both Y&P as you turned. I picked up on that with the short time I flew in acro, it does take practice to do that successfully.
I would start with high rates on freerider, They're closer to what stock rates are on most RTF models, So unless you plan to change the rates to be lower once you have a quad, it'll get you the practice you need. But on the main screen in custom settings you can customize the rates. These are what where closest to my stock rates

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180326-080750_Freerider.jpg
    Screenshot_20180326-080750_Freerider.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Torc
To Be honest I have seen some crazy combinations, Everyone is different so once you have your own quad you'll be adjusting to what feels good to you. There is no right or wrong rates. If you can fly it, it's correct. But those are a good starting point till then

Reactions: Torc
Yea especially if you Barrel roll, yaw goes opposite of roll to keep the screen center. If you just use roll the camera arches since technically you're pitched forward to have the image level so the camera would swing not spin, the yaw adjusts for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futuramille
Most quads out of the box now are already tuned. Just bind it and fly.
As most of us know moving from angle to horizon to finally acro is quite daunting. A few of our senior pilots here will say don’t stay in angle or horizon too long. Well they are right in my opinion. Once you flick that switch to acro you may as well delete the rest. You won’t go back.
And as scary as it is at first, it doesn’t last long. You will adjust rates as you improve your skills.
For me yaw was the only thing I lowered at first. But we are all different. Best of luck.
Wayne

I just went a 10 min session in low rate acro and though I was only going to win the DFL award it was a hel of a learning experience and I can easily say I'll not be returning to self level (until I fly my XC-30's).

Most quads out of the box now are already tuned. Just bind it and fly.
As most of us know moving from angle to horizon to finally acro is quite daunting. A few of our senior pilots here will say don’t stay in angle or horizon too long. Well they are right in my opinion. Once you flick that switch to acro you may as well delete the rest. You won’t go back.
And as scary as it is at first, it doesn’t last long. You will adjust rates as you improve your skills.
For me yaw was the only thing I lowered at first. But we are all different. Best of luck.
Wayne

Last edited:
Reactions: M3talrocksFPV
Im glad you made a new thread... apparently every post I made trying to help was because im a terrible troll according to broncos fan. So i edited them all..lol

as for rates, I would start off very neutral on rates and get a feel for how rolls, and flips feel. What exactly are you seeing when you give it full roll input? There is a bit of muscle memory involved in doing a nice roll, you flip the stick and catch it where you want to stop. Shoot into the throttle for a second then dump the throttle back to 0 right before you initiate the roll. Then after you get back upright, throttle back in and level out again.

Im glad you made a new thread... apparently every post I made trying to help was because im a terrible troll according to broncos fan. So i edited them all..lol

as for rates, I would start off very neutral on rates and get a feel for how rolls, and flips feel. What exactly are you seeing when you give it full roll input? There is a bit of muscle memory involved in doing a nice roll, you flip the stick and catch it where you want to stop. Shoot into the throttle for a second then dump the throttle back to 0 right before you initiate the roll. Then after you get back upright, throttle back in and level out again.
A troll? Really? You've been nothing but help... well I appreciate it man.

I just went a 10 min session in low rate acro and though I was only going to win the DFL award it was a hel of a learning experience and I can easily say I'll not be returning to self level (until I fly my XC-30's).
Well just know that I've been flying rc for 20 years (planes and helicopters. New to drones) and I STILL crash lol just part of the learning. At least nowadays you can hit reset. ;)

Well just know that I've been flying rc for 20 years (planes and helicopters. New to drones) and I STILL crash lol just part of the learning. At least nowadays you can hit reset. ;)
I've been flying helis for probably 12 years... And it's funny cause I'm better flying fpv after a month then I ever got flying LOS. I love flying now, where I just thought it was really neat before. Attitude does make a difference especially starting off. Would I like to be better even faster, absolutely. But I'm pretty comfortable zooming around at the moment. I'm about ready to start adding more obstacles into my flights

I've been flying helis for probably 12 years... And it's funny cause I'm better flying fpv after a month then I ever got flying LOS. I love flying now, where I just thought it was really neat before. Attitude does make a difference especially starting off. Would I like to be better even faster, absolutely. But I'm pretty comfortable zooming around at the moment. I'm about ready to start adding more obstacles into my flights
Me too, I just don't have many places that have obsticals that are legal to fly, been trying to find bandos in vegas but it's nearly impossible cause they're all museums now or something and curated, so there's security.

Reactions: venomoussvt
I have maybe three months under my belt, lol. I will say that trying to do the same in LOS is near impossible. This poses a problem as I do not have FPV equipment.

do either of you guys have a youtube where you're logging your progression? I think i'm gonna go ahead and pick up a Hero 5 session so I can start logging progression as I get better. I believe i'm made noticeable improvements every flight Ive had but until I got my attitude v4's I didnt even have a means to look at them or share them afterwards. Now that I can DVR, its not worth looking at the footage again because I would rather it be a better video feed.

Reactions: Keifie
I have maybe three months under my belt, lol. I will say that trying to do the same in LOS is near impossible. This poses a problem as I do not have FPV equipment.
so you're flying your race quad LOS at the moment? You have radio and quad though correct?

Reactions: Keifie
do either of you guys have a youtube where you're logging your progression? I think i'm gonna go ahead and pick up a Hero 5 session so I can start logging progression as I get better. I believe i'm made noticeable improvements every flight Ive had but until I got my attitude v4's I didnt even have a means to look at them or share them afterwards. Now that I can DVR, its not worth looking at the footage again because I would rather it be a better video feed.
I have a YouTube and post the vids from my physical flights. Nothing on FR yet. Hadn't thought of recording on my computer, not sure how to yet.

so you're flying your race quad LOS at the moment? You have radio and quad though correct?
Nope. Well I have a Tx and a toy quad that don't talk to each other.

I'm working my way up to a hobby grade quad a part at a time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleveniseven