Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

603 vs 703 motors for 1s whoop...

baevans11

Reaction score
Could I get some insight on which motor a 603 or 703 would be best for a 1s tiny whoop? I'm planning on using a Rakon 66mm delrin frame which says it takes a 703 motor, but a 603 would fit as well right? What would be the difference between the two sizes, torque? Any help would be great thanks.
Edit: Is the Rakon frame far superior to the other all plastic frames like the one from Betafpv for example? I also noticed the rakon frame takes 31mm props but betafpv 703 motors say to use 40mm props even though the frame says it's for 703 motors. Now I'm really confused lol. So are 603 motors better for 31mm props and 703 motors better for 40mm props?

Last edited:
Could I get some insight on which motor a 603 or 703 would be best for a 1s tiny whoop? I'm planning on using a Rakon 66mm delrin frame which says it takes a 703 motor, but a 603 would fit as well right? What would be the difference between the two sizes, torque? Any help would be great thanks.
Edit: Is the Rakon frame far superior to the other all plastic frames like the one from Betafpv for example? I also noticed the rakon frame takes 31mm props but betafpv 703 motors say to use 40mm props even though the frame says it's for 703 motors. Now I'm really confused lol. So are 603 motors better for 31mm props and 703 motors better for 40mm props?

From my experience and what I have been able to learn...
Usually a frame that will accept 0603 can also mount 0703 motors. Sometimes there is even a frame that can mount an 1103 motor if I remember the Rakon Heli site correctly. With a 1s whoop it is more about KV than size, with a 1s you will need a 12000 KV or faster due to the lower input voltage. With a 2s whoop you will need a 8000 KV or lower so that you have some control due to the higher input voltage.
'
I have a few of the original TW's running 1s brushed on Cockroach frames, and I have a few of the Rakon AL/Carbon and Delron/Carbon whoops (66mm and 76mm) running 2s on brushless 0603 (66mm) and 1103 (76mm) and they are all 8000 KV.

If you look close at the specs on the 1s and 2s prebuilts they sell (I also compare with Heli-Nation as they have a pretty good selection of RH whoops and parts) you will see that is how they build them.

About the differences...
Keep one thing in mind, with the current offerings in this size class, the motors only have bushings and NOT bearings, so they sound very janky and they can only produce so much lift on small props, but the 0703 theoretically would have a bit more grunt to them, and a little extra weight.

Now about the 31 and 40mm prop choices...
It all comes down to IF you can find a prop with the correct size center hole on the correct size mm prop. Usually 06/07 (meant for 31mm props) will have a 1.0mm shaft, and the bigger 1103 (41mm props) will also have a 1mm shaft (I think those are the right numbers so check the specs at RH site), plus as you know different props will perform differently and there is only so many choices out there in this size class. It would be completely possible for instance to drill out the center hole of a prop that was too small to fit a larger shaft (like a TBS 31mm has .8mm shaft I believe but people love them so they find a way to drill out the center hole to be a tight 1.0mm), but you can't really make a small shaft fit a bigger hole. Since the props have only the friction from being pressed onto the shaft to keep them from slipping or flying off in flight, that is the biggest issue in why props need to be retired or never bought again (because they slip and/or won't stay on). Rakon Heli props are what fits the motor shafts, and I can find no others that have the right center hole size. But they are a less durable plastic than say a Eachine or TBS 31mm prop/.7-.8mm center hole. The RH props will bend and stay bent, and they will chip, so you will need to replace them fairly often if you crash much. The eachine and TBS 31mm props are a different type of plastic and are VERY durable and flexible so they last almost forever if need be. Don't be fooled, you can run a 40mm on a 06, you can run a 31mm on a 07 or even an 1103, but depending on KV of the motors vs input voltage and weight and size vs motor size/prop size, it just may not work well or it could be fantastic, but if it were fantastic performance somebody is starting to make them in that combination.

Last but not least...
The difference in weight/durability between say a Cockroach or BetaFPV frame and a RH carbon is a very fine line. If you want the latest greatest (light and durable) go with the BetaFPV frame if the motor size is spec'ed for it. There really are not many choices in this size class today and hence you need to thoroughly check the specs for compatibility and whether or not you will need to mod things, for instance center hole size of the prop you want to try/use.

Oh, one more thing...
I have 1 of the Griffon FPV motors that is too loose between the bell and the center shaft. Pushing props onto the motors is a touchy thing with the brushless in this size class. You MAY need to figure out a way to support the shaft from underneath the motor as you push props on as it is possible for the shaft to slip inside the bell and start to push out the bottom of the motor (not good) and have a way to push the shaft back up through the bell if that happens. I simply use a hard plastic or metal tool of the proper size to support/push against the bottom of the shaft on the bottom of the motor as I fit the prop to the shaft. If the shaft does move a bit I gently and ever so carefully (with the prop off) push down on the bell with 2 fingers while I use my tool to force the shaft back up through the bell until I have a smooth spin (doesn't bind during rotation) and reasonable play up and down of the bell onto the stator of the motor (a very small amount of play when trying to pull the bell off the motor) as compared to the other motor on the quad. This can be a touchy dance (up down up down a few times) but it can be done.

My biggest problem with this size class of quad is the size itself, my fingers are just not meant to work with things so small, so it is a all a bit of a learning curve even to figure out how to get a darned screw in sometimes, and if you drop it on the floor it can be a bugger to find.

Rant over LOL ;)

Reactions: Wayno52
Oh, I was wrong about RH props kinda, they have 3 blade, they are pretty fragile to a degree, but they have a new 40mm 4 blade that should be really good. It is a bigger version of the 31mm TBS and Eachine type profile with the correct 1.0mm center hole. If you want to try and drill the center hole out to 1.0mm on the 31mm TBS or Eachine type props they apparently are awesome on the brushless 66mm/31mm prop size whoops too.

Reactions: Wayno52
Oh, I was wrong about RH props kinda, they have 3 blade, they are pretty fragile to a degree, but they have a new 40mm 4 blade that should be really good. It is a bigger version of the 31mm TBS and Eachine type profile with the correct 1.0mm center hole. If you want to try and drill the center hole out to 1.0mm on the 31mm TBS or Eachine type props they apparently are awesome on the brushless 66mm/31mm prop size whoops too.
Wow thanks for all the great info! I really appreciate it! So I was thinking of using the 66mm rakon frame with the TBS 603 20000 motors, lumenier tiny fish stack and 1s lihv 250mah lipos. Do you see any problem with that setup? Thanks again. Planning this little thing has proven more problematic than my big quads lol.

That sounds like a great setup, it should be very fast, I don't see any obvious issues. But I will say that you just won't know how WELL it flies until you have it together and working. I would maybe reach out on the Facebook TBS Lounge page to see if you can get any warm and fuzzy, or issues type responses to your query.

I am using these as the Lumenier stack wasn't available 6+ months ago, and I see a lot of that, when somebody else starts to take your lunch money with whoop class brushless (Rakon) so they finally come out with one 6+ months later (BetaFPV, can you say "6 month design cycle") and then flip the switch again with 2s setups (again Rakon first and then BetaFPV releases one 6+ months later), I still feel like I won because I have been doing this for quite a while now while others were waiting.

You may want to compare to these parts for Price, Features, and Functionality to see the original option for this type rig.

Furious FPV Fishpepper 5 amp (not 4 amp like the Lumenier) esc which is still widely available
Fishpepper 5A BB2 48MHz DSHOT600 1-2S 4in1 ESC

And the "Furious FPV Racewhoop V1" which is only available now through ebay and such it seems.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great setup, it should be very fast, I don't see any obvious issues. But I will say that you just won't know how WELL it flies until you have it together and working. I would maybe reach out on the Facebook TBS Lounge page to see if you can get any warm and fuzzy, or issues type responses to your query.

I am using these as the Lumenier stack wasn't available 6+ months ago, and I see a lot of that, when somebody else starts to take your lunch money with whoop class brushless (Rakon) so they finally come out with one 6+ months later (BetaFPV, can you say "6 month design cycle") and then flip the switch again with 2s setups (again Rakon first and then BetaFPV releases one 6+ months later), I still feel like I won because I have been doing this for quite a while now while others were waiting.

You may want to compare to these parts for Price, Features, and Functionality to see the original option for this type rig.

Furious FPV Fishpepper 5 amp (not 4 amp like the Lumenier) esc which is still widely available
Fishpepper 5A BB2 48MHz DSHOT600 1-2S 4in1 ESC

And the "Furious FPV Racewhoop V1" which is only available now through ebay and such it seems.
Thanks so much for all the extensive help! I ordered everything this morning and spent any too much lol, but that's what we do in this hobby. I'll post back when I finish the build with pics and flight characteristics. Thx again!

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlysTroe