Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

XT60 low ESR capacitor

Hi Virtue, Jerry,
What exactly does this capacitor do and why...? I am almost sure that it already exists. What are the parameters for effectiveness. ?

Keith

Keith,

Sometimes you ask a question or two in a small sentence or two that would take years of experience and a book to answer!

I am too electronically challenged to answer your questions but I have started using caps in all of my builds because that's what the really "smart guys" seem to be doing. My limited, ignorant and uneducated understanding is that the cap stores electricity which "smooths out" the spikes that occur when pushing your bird, making it a bit less harsh on the electronic components.

I have never seen anything like what Virtue has described, a cap that actually plugs in between the XT60 connector on the bird and the Lipo battery.

Jerry

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Good morning Jerry,
I know that my questions are sometimes not answerable,however i am a firm believer in asking...because you never know if someone has the answer or not. The only way I know to gain knowledge is to question. In this hobby ,and coming from no computer expertise and no flying experiance ,although quite intelligent, the only way I know to lessen the uneasiness of ignorance or lack of knowledge is to pursue. This forum is a great place for that and you and some
Others have helped me immensely. I will continue my pursuit of knowledge because it is an area of knowledge which is out of my wheel house.
I seem to remember having to use capacitorson some of my older cars...but not recently. I am frankly surprised that the inventors, didn't consider the capacitor issue when designing.

Peace
Keith

Reactions: Jtrjr
Keith,

Your questions are definately "answerable", just not by someone as lacking in expertise as me!

I think this hobby has moved at such a fast clip that the "smart guys" have had to fill in the gaps. Just since I've been in this hobby we've gone from 3S batteries to 4S, 5S and 6S. I'm not sure any manufacturing process can move at the pace that the "smart guys" do.

Jerry

Jerry , I couldn't agree with you more...for instance runcam has a new camera that will record in 1080p and can be used as a fpv camera...its all in one. The camera is smaller and lighter than previous versions because the board is outside the camera housing. It also has the ability for wifi...its called the (runcam split)

Keith

Reactions: VirtueViolater
The low ESR capacitor absorbs voltage spikes produced by the ESC when active braking is used in other words when you quickly reduce the throttle to zero

Reactions: Jtrjr
Jerry , I couldn't agree with you more...for instance runcam has a new camera that will record in 1080p and can be used as a fpv camera...its all in one. The camera is smaller and lighter than previous versions because the board is outside the camera housing. It also has the ability for wifi...its called the (runcam split)

Keith
I saw this camera advertised last night seems pretty cool and a great idea

Thanks Virtue,
So where are the capacitors located on the bird and soldered to what? (Pictures)

Keith

I am going to order a couple of them. They are not supposed to be available until late July

Keith

Thanks Virtue,
So where are the capacitors located on the bird and soldered to what? (Pictures)

Keith
You have to supply and install them yourself between the battery leads just solder the positive to where the battery lead solders to the positive and the negative to where the battery lead negative soliders

Does anybody have a link to these capacitors you speak of? I have know idea what ones to use and where it goes on my build. lol

Hi...the 1000 uf will serve you better. To keep things smaller, I just buy the 16V rate caps. Although I do buy the Panasonic brand. I have not had any problems. The 25V and 35V are just too big.

pcb assembly

Last edited:
Hi...the 1000 uf will serve you better. To keep things smaller, I just buy the 16V rate caps. Although I do buy the Panasonic brand. I have not had any problems. The 25V and 35V are just too big.
Hi, tell us a little about yourself!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya