Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

who's actually racing?

Futuramille

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I just saw a comment regarding freestyle pilots commenting in a race drone group on FB.
My comment was.. we want to fly everyday and not just race on weekends.
I also think that competition is not best for our flying experience. If you've ever been to a quad race.. it looks stressful. Its not that we cant race.. its that we don't need the stress. A good acro pilot can rip a track better than a racer can pull a juicy acro battery?
what do yall think?

Reactions: Wayno52
Whilst I certainly enjoy watching some of the racing action, it does look highly competitive and very busy and that is what that scene is all about. Personally I’d rather stick with freestyle and learn each time I fly and get out doors and try out different surroundings without a stop watch, the race director managing our frequencies and having multiple drones to change out when I throw it into a fence between races.
I have a very good friend visiting at the moment and he knows nothing about racing quads. I slipped a pair of goggles on his head and took him for a trip around the local park. I then gave him a spare quad to practice on whilst I practiced flying around the school buildings. All I could hear was him laughing and he reckoned he understood why I was so into it. Maybe a convert, maybe not and each to their own. I’ve just finished setting up my armattan chameleon and it’s a thing of beauty to fly and just stare at the workmanship, might hand that to the racing crew and see how they go......

I'll bite on this one just because I'm killing time at work.
In response to your comment of "we want to fly everyday and not just race on weekends", you are making the assumption that racers only fly on the weekends. That is like saying that American football players only play on the weekends and never practice. I'm sure there are plenty of racers that not only fly for fun but participate in Acro. Are there Acro flyers that could crush it on the race course? Yes. Are there racers that could knock out some killer freestyle, dives and power loops? Yes.
Some people thrive on competition and stress, and need a way to justify all the time and money they spend on the sport. A trophy or sponsorship is one way of quantifying that. Some people just want to have a joyful flight by themselves and participate in a hobby. Some people like coffee and some people like tea. Just because I like Green Tea doesn't mean that I cant have coffee too. A situation that you might believe to be a "not best for our flying experience" someone else might enjoy.
It happens in every small enthusiast community, a rift develops in every sect but lets not forget that this community is VERY small and should be focused on growing the sport and hobby. It's like in the BMW community the N54 guys will go at it with the N55 guys. At the end of the day they are all BMW enthusiasts.
Maybe, just maybe, at some of the races they should start a freestyle competition, just like they started doing with motocross. Now you have an avenue where some people can do both and back the talk up with some actions.
I just caution you with what is said in public forums where people might be trying to get new people into the sport. You don't want them to have a bad taste in their mouth upon first impressions and see bickering among a common interest.

Well said FRD and Tevec!! Its all flying. Nate is highly competitive in everything. We've not flown in a authentic race... Yet but I see it coming. That's why I asked.
How many Identical quads are needed realistically to ensure consistency across one and multiple events? From what I hear its four but is this truly the case?

I ask because Im always the lead "pit crew/roadie" ( : Im thinking two should do it but.. what's realistic?
Quad racing competition is high in central florida. 6 hour drives to stay in each race is what I can see needed to stay in DRL circuit.
we could just hit a few local races and not go full DRL but its available. In planning for it (and knowing how Nates head works) if he placed in even one event.. we would get serious about it.

Nate used to be a competitive skateboarder. He was sponsored by Monster Energy. We drove all over the south east US to stay in it. I know this gig.FB_IMG_1540098669327.jpg

Last edited:
While I mostly agree with @FRD135i my 2 cents is that they're totally different mind sets, and which one you're in to reveals your personality. For example, I have a messed up view of "racing" in general. I see racing as a money pit, plain and simple. I didn't build this quad to burn it to a crisp in a field full of strangers and gates. Conversely, I recognize how important racing is to the development of its industry. Automotive technology has racing to thank for much of its evolution, and freestyle just wouldn't exist without racers pushing the tech. (we'd be mired in jello)

So Thank You young racers! Keep burning ESCs and tell me which last you the season!

I ask because Im always the lead "pit crew/roadie" ( : Im thinking two should do it but.. what's realistic?
Quad racing competition is high in central florida. 6 hour drives to stay in each race is what I can see needed to stay in DRL circuit.
we could just hit a few local races and not go full DRL but its available. In planning for it (and knowing how Nates head works) if he placed in even one event.. we would get serious about it.

Nate used to be a competitive skateboarder. He was sponsored by Monster Energy. We drove all over the south east US to stay in it. I know this gig.View attachment 3215
Interested to see how all of this goes. Keep us up to date.
Pretty sweet with the whole skateboarding thing too.

I just know any competition takes dedication. It won't happen soon as Nate is gonna go get killer Montana footage till October but when he returns It might happen. Between racing drift cars and racing drones . it would be busy for sure.

While I mostly agree with @FRD135i my 2 cents is that they're totally different mind sets, and which one you're in to reveals your personality. For example, I have a messed up view of "racing" in general. I see racing as a money pit, plain and simple. I didn't build this quad to burn it to a crisp in a field full of strangers and gates. Conversely, I recognize how important racing is to the development of its industry. Automotive technology has racing to thank for much of its evolution, and freestyle just wouldn't exist without racers pushing the tech. (we'd be mired in jello)

So Thank You young racers! Keep burning ESCs and tell me which last you the season!
Im leaning toward starting my own aerial footage company. I see that people getting well placed in races get the kudos. I think Nate could place... but the buy in is substantial. It would change our game alot. Im fearful to start up such a monster!
We're also looking at chasing dirt bikes and quads.. there's money to be had.. everyone loves a good aerial vid of them getting a good adrenalin rush. The race quad is a cool platform.
Add business to pleasure and it could be golden.
Add the DJI footage with real estate and small businesses advertisement it could happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtkDarling
Interested to see how all of this goes. Keep us up to date.
Pretty sweet with the whole skateboarding thing too.
Nate blew out his knees doing skateboarding before he was 19. We quit! he still sends it on occasion at the local skate spots. It was fun and I got lots of pictures but his knees are shot. hurts like a 40yo in the morning (hes 21yo) rough sport but tought us not to take serious competition for granted.
Now I know the local races (non DLR) will be awesome. No doubt that a good get together with a group of friends and rippin gates is fun. We could keep it at that level. I just know Nate..
Im a freestyle flyer. no desire to compete... I don't even share my own footage. Im just an old RC guy that's loving the fact we can finally "get inside and fly" FPV.

futuramille, Howdy. again contact me when in Montana. Hope your son is doing well. I am now a pro highly sponsored 3D LOS pilot....ha....not....but still a wannabe:)
The Camera drone business is flooded....careful.
Take care

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax