Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Which 3" drone to purchase

mamba1242

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have sold my 5" wizard because it was to fast and hard to fly freestyle with it.
Now I want to purchase 3" drone that is easier to fly and have HD camera.

So what I want:
- Flying style: Freestyle
- RTF
- 3-4S option
- HD camera

Some people suggested me Diatone GT R349. What do you think?

Hi Guys,

I have sold my 5" wizard because it was to fast and hard to fly freestyle with it.
Now I want to purchase 3" drone that is easier to fly and have HD camera.

So what I want:
- Flying style: Freestyle
- RTF
- 3-4S option
- HD camera

Some people suggested me Diatone GT R349. What do you think?
If you’re running analogue, the GTR 349 is a great quad. I’ve got the non HD version which absolutely screams on 4S, not much slower than my 5” gear but more manageable amongst the trees. The only mod I’ve done to it was changing out the dipole antenna to a micro AXii unit that sits flush with the canopy. Fitting the receiver is a bit of a pain but since you’ve got it apart, change out the antenna at the same time.
As for the HD part, I learnt the hard way by buying obscure 3” HD models that either blew up, caught fire or unable to get parts for. The HX115 HD is another good choice but took me ages to set up, whereas the Diatone simply flew great out of the box on a standard tune.

If you’re running analogue, the GTR 349 is a great quad. I’ve got the non HD version which absolutely screams on 4S, not much slower than my 5” gear but more manageable amongst the trees. The only mod I’ve done to it was changing out the dipole antenna to a micro AXii unit that sits flush with the canopy. Fitting the receiver is a bit of a pain but since you’ve got it apart, change out the antenna at the same time.
As for the HD part, I learnt the hard way by buying obscure 3” HD models that either blew up, caught fire or unable to get parts for. The HX115 HD is another good choice but took me ages to set up, whereas the Diatone simply flew great out of the box on a standard tune.
Thanks for reply, do you have any picture maybe so I can so how anntena is mounted? I have decide to purchase it and start with 3S. Do you think is worth to take model with TBS Unify 800mw VTX? Or Mamba TX400 is enough?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply, do you have any picture maybe so I can so how anntena is mounted? I have decide to purchase it and start with 3S. Do you think is worth to take model with TBS Unify 800mw VTX? Or Mamba TX400 is enough?
The TX400 is probably good enough as it still pumps out 400mW and has smart audio. If you have the extra cash then go with the TBS Unify, they are a bit of a pain to unlock from the 25mW factory setting but definitely doable. Again, there isn’t much point to the higher output if you are running substandard goggles/antennas. For my setup, just drill a 4mm hole at the back of the canopy where there is room for a buzzer or similar, thread the coax through, seat it and in my case a dab of liquid electrical tape to help secure it. As for the receiver, if you are running Frsky, grab an R-XSR as they simply plug into the supplied cable. I’m using an XM+ and 30 seconds with a soldering iron will do the job.
8AAC2284-D402-4D07-A33A-D82BA4E73E31.jpeg

Reactions: HighTechPauper
The TX400 is probably good enough as it still pumps out 400mW and has smart audio. If you have the extra cash then go with the TBS Unify, they are a bit of a pain to unlock from the 25mW factory setting but definitely doable. Again, there isn’t much point to the higher output if you are running substandard goggles/antennas. For my setup, just drill a 4mm hole at the back of the canopy where there is room for a buzzer or similar, thread the coax through, seat it and in my case a dab of liquid electrical tape to help secure it. As for the receiver, if you are running Frsky, grab an R-XSR as they simply plug into the supplied cable. I’m using an XM+ and 30 seconds with a soldering iron will do the job.
View attachment 4453

Where did you hide receiver I can't see it on picture? :) I'm running on Flysky, so I was thinking about FLI14+ recevier.
Last 3 questions. Which cable do I need for Micro axii, U.FL male to female? or antenna cable is long enough to direct connect it without additional cable? Which props do you use, stock? Also I will run on 3S, do you know which mAh would work the best performance/flight time? or are you running on 4S from beginning?
Thanks man for all of your help

Last edited:
Where did you hide receiver I can't see it on picture? :) I'm running on Flysky, so I was thinking about FLI14+ recevier.
Last 3 questions. Which cable do I need for Micro axii, U.FL male to female? or antenna cable is long enough to direct connect it without additional cable? Which props do you use, stock? Also I will run on 3S, do you know which mAh would work the best performance/flight time? or are you running on 4S from beginning?
Thanks man for all of your help
The receiver is tucked in just under the top of the canopy, make sure you sleeve yours in heatshrink as it’s close to the vtx and you want to avoid an electric short.
As for the antenna, it’s a Lumineir AXii ufl (60 mm long from memory) that simply replaces the existing one.
I use 4S 850 mah batteries but I did run 3S 450 mah to see how it flew, certainly more manageable through the trees but less punch when out in the open.
Using 3052 props that are supplied with the quad but will try 3076 later to see how that affects the handling and battery life.

The receiver is tucked in just under the top of the canopy, make sure you sleeve yours in heatshrink as it’s close to the vtx and you want to avoid an electric short.
As for the antenna, it’s a Lumineir AXii ufl (60 mm long from memory) that simply replaces the existing one.
I use 4S 850 mah batteries but I did run 3S 450 mah to see how it flew, certainly more manageable through the trees but less punch when out in the open.
Using 3052 props that are supplied with the quad but will try 3076 later to see how that affects the handling and battery life.
I got a suggestion about the props so I ordered Gemfan 3028 props for 4S and HQ prop 3x4x3 for 3S, what do you think about the choice? I like for beginning to be less aggressive.

Do you maybe remember what was the flight time on 3S 450mAh? I Don't know what to purchase, I was thinkig 650mAh or 850mAh but don't wanna reduce performance with to heavy battery, rather have shorter flytime.

I got a suggestion about the props so I ordered Gemfan 3028 props for 4S and HQ prop 3x4x3 for 3S, what do you think about the choice? I like for beginning to be less aggressive.

Do you maybe remember what was the flight time on 3S 450mAh? I Don't know what to purchase, I was thinkig 650mAh or 850mAh but don't wanna reduce performance with to heavy battery, rather have shorter flytime.
Those props are just fine for cruising around and some acro work. As for the batteries, i'm using the 3S 450mAh batteries as I have them lying around and usually get around 3 minutes flying through the bush and a few flips and rolls to kill the pack. Cannot see a problem running the bigger packs, although maybe 650 mAh on 3S might be the limit for weight vs performance. Switching up to 4S on the larger 850 mAh makes little difference as the quad just screams and 2-3 minutes at stupid throttle is good enough.

I just ordered an HLGRC Sector 132 quad that can switch between a 2.5" cinewhoop with prop guards or you can install the 3" props without the guards and fly it freestyle. The model I bought has the Caddx Tarsier dual camera setup on it with a DVR so I will not need to use my GoPro Session 5 for flight cam videos. Here is the link to it.

View attachment 4453
Have you ever think about this antenna mount:

think that reception could be better?

Reactions: tevek
Have you ever think about this antenna mount:

think that reception could be better?
Wish I had access to a 3D printer as that standoff and 50 other ‘things’ would be churning away right now. As for reception, it’s probably the same effect as what I did as the antenna is still flush with the mount albeit looks more tidy.
Cheers for that!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone