Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Which 250 Racing Quad do you recommend?

StressTest

Reaction score
I'm new to the site and to quads, but I've been flying helicopters for years and I'm ready to jump into quads, in particular 250 class racing quads.

If you were going to build your ultimate racer, what would it be?

If you were going to build or buy the best possible RACING quad, what would you build in 2018. What's winning more of the official races? Or is there a build that is winning consistently?

I've been looking at the following:

-eMax Hawk 5 Quad
-FrSky Taranis X9D plus SE (love the carbon fiber)
-aomway Commander V2 FPV Goggles or Fatshark Dominator H3's

Thoughts?

Thanks for all your help and consideration,

StressTest

Last edited:
1st I would suggest build, not buy.

I highly suggest a Catalyst Machineworks build.
The Merica is the current popular favorite although the SL5v2 and Norris are also excellent choices.

My personal favorite is my 210-Rv2 on 6s although heavier than the other frames.

I looked at the Merica, but because I'm new to quads I'm afraid that the Merica and it's 6s will be to unwieldy for me to start with... lol, although I wish I could handle it, it looks amazing fast. I'll look at the Catalyst Machineworks stuff again however and see what's offered.

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Jomaba4308 what are your thoughts on goggles and transmitter?
Transmitter I think you typo and mean the Taranis X9D plus SE?
If so, excellent choice, I use the X9D plus myself with the M9 gimbal (included and installed with the SE).

For the goggles I suggest Fatshark. Which model will be up to you but HD3 and HDO are supposed to be excellent choices.
HD3 has a little bit wider FOV but the HDO have newer & better screens so up to you.

Reactions: Futuramille
Ok great, ty for your feedback.

I was considering the aomway simply because of cost, it has everything I want in a goggle 16:9, a pretty good viewing angle, it's only drawback that I can find is that it does not allow for modules... Thoughts?

You cant go wrong with an X9D+ SE, great radio, just never turn it on without the antenna so you don't blow your internal RF section.

I would reconsider the 16:9, and here is why. I have Commander V1's, Fatshark HD2's, HD3's and HDO's, some of these are 16:9 (Commanders and HD3's) and some are 4:3 (HD2's and HDO's). Most cameras are 4:3, some are 16:9, I have both. In the 16:9 cameras I have a very wide field of view but it is not tall enough, this is a hard picture to fly by compared to 4:3. In the 16:9 goggles, since most cams are 4:3, you get black bars on the sides and your "picture" is actually smaller than in the 4:3 goggles which have no black bars on the sides. When I run 16:9 all the way around (cam and goggles) it doesn't help me since most of the motion is forward and the screen is so short top to bottom and stretched out so wide side to side. Without much faster and cheaper Codec options HD has way too much latency, so standard definition is all that will be affordable for the foreseeable future, and it is 4:3.

I fly all my stuff, but the 4:3 gives me the best picture to fly by.

IMHO

Now see, that's the exact kind of info I needed to hear (concerning the goggle purchase). I've watched many reviews on these products but it's tough to find specific answers to questions, so thank you HighTechPauper for taking the time to provide your insights.

So which do you run the HD2's or HD3's?

StressTest

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I am still flipping back and forth between the HDO's and the HD2's for now, they are both 4:3's and the HD2's have a 50 degree FOV, and the HDO's are 37 degree FOV, but the OLED screens are faster and the colors are much deeper and more vibrant. I really have too many goggles but just can't bring myself to sell any of them yet.

Yeah I looked at the HD0's but the reduced field of view on top of the steep price really bummed me out because I would have preferred the oled... so I'm still struggling to figure out what I'm gonna end up going with on the goggle side... it's one of the reasons I'm still not discounting the aomways. The bummer there is you can't throw a diff module in em!

Thanks again for your feedback it is helpful!

Aomway V1's are probably the best choice
So are the HD3 Core
Everyone says the Aomway's have great receivers and I agree, and believe me when I tell ya, real world performance is equal but the price is not. Even the very best are only a few % better for a whole lot more money and it is no better really to fly with them.

Wizard x220s or ts215 is not a bad place to start if you want a modest rtf or bnf that has room to improve. Just flash later firmware on it to unlock hidden potential. Either one is capable of +100mph when properly configured and properly tuned. If you go with the regular x220 just add esc signal grounds to the fc in order to avoid desync under heavy loads. The wizards are very underrated due to the factory configuration and obsolete firmware. A few minor adjustments and a firmware update make them great quads.

Thanksa lot you guys, this is great info and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from you guys taking the time to post, its appreciated!

I know you said you are experienced in helicopters but also consider picking up Liftoff to give yourself an idea of what you are looking at. It'll probably help you understand some differences between the size and parts and race dynamics. It's helped me a ton (though, I'm principly freestyle with racing on the side)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput