Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

what to start with?

spiritizmo

Reaction score
hi and greetings from finland!

so i was wondering do you guys have any suggestions what my drone should be?
main use for me would be freestyle and taking vids on motocross/drifting and maybe other extreme sports. those in mind should i go for 3" or 5" drone?

its my first one, but building aspect of a small frame wont be a problem.

also the camera options, if possible i dont want tu buy a gopro etc external cam, does something like runcam split work for this kind of purpose im using my drone? 1080 60fps is all the resolution i need for my video material(at least so far)
any other camera suggestions?

(no idea if wrot on a right thread...)

Take a look at this thread we have going
How important is drone size?

The split works, but it doesn't have the image quality of a gopro. There's more to video then pixel size, for example it's impossible to control your shutter rate on the split. While it does technically record what it says it does, I've rarely seen it used cinematically.
For an example here's a post from girl I follow. She's flying a 3" with a split. After this, her videos went back to the gopro, and I think that speaks volumes

You'll see if you want to film cars, motocross etc you'll need a 5" or a 6" to keep up

Welcome to the frey! May I ask what your RC/ Flying experience make it easier to recommend a new quad.

Do you already have an FPV headset?
How about transmitter/controller...?.. any brand favorites yet?

I have an absolute favorite pilot, Mr. Steel! He's got a new series that may help regarding getting started correctly.

Take a look at this thread we have going
How important is drone size?
You'll see if you want to film cars, motocross etc you'll need a 5" or a 6" to keep up

- thanks! i have to check on that threat and video! im not fully after cinematic videos but i get your point. gopro etc gives much more diversity to taking vids for sure. its just a big "extra" cost for a student. :D

Welcome to the frey! May I ask what your RC/ Flying experience make it easier to recommend a new quad.
Do you already have an FPV headset?
How about transmitter/controller...?.. any brand favorites yet?

- i have only little real experience but its with mavic pro... so idk if that even counts because it basically flies itself...:rolleyes: it wasnt cinematic flying tho but more chase footage. mavic just cant keep up.
as a gear i got taranis qx7s as a transmitter and fatshark hd3 as goggles.

i have looked into steeles videos! really good stuff there and i have 30ish hours in simulator (velocidrone) and i just got betafpv 75 from mail as a winter trainer :p

wow, awesome news. your really set then for ground gear.
I chase my son and others drifting. Like mentioned and I agree 5" is minimum to keep up with race cars without hurting batteries (long amp draws doing straight aways) and Ive chased drift cars with my 3" cerberus but it struggled to keep up and puffed 4s 95c tattu batteries. with a 5" cerberus keeping up with drift cars is easy with authority to spare.
what's your budget $$ and would you build or go with a BNF kit?

Reactions: Wayno52
that really sounds like 5" would be the way to go for starters. i think most of the flying will be on tracks and other semi open/open outdoor enviroments. we don't have old factories and stuff like that near where i live sadly.

my budget is as low as possible:p but withing reason of course so in my case i think around 200-300€ should get a drone capable in my intented use?. i think building it myself will be the way to go for me as im not total newbie in electronics and it really interests me to learn to but it together myself.:D

gopro etc gives much more diversity to taking vids for sure. its just a big "extra" cost for a student
It also adds a great deal of weight, it's another expensive thing to break, and another thing to charge. Plus you'll want ND filters blah blah. If you really just want hot footage the split may be in your future. It's cheaper and lighter, that's for sure.

You'll save money building, but you'll lose a little money getting the tools you need. I still think it's worth it, building quads taught me how to solder, now I fix electronics around the house . :)

Check this list out. Some of the quads are outdated, but his building supplies are spot on.
ULTIMATE FPV SHOPPING LIST — FPV Know-It-All - Joshua Bardwell

It also adds a great deal of weight, it's another expensive thing to break, and another thing to charge. Plus you'll want ND filters blah blah. If you really just want hot footage the split may be in your future. It's cheaper and lighter, that's for sure.

You'll save money building, but you'll lose a little money getting the tools you need. I still think it's worth it

- yes that exactly my thoughts about gopro. i mean im sure its worth the money, but do i really need it in my case. i think i could start with the runcam split and see how it goes. i can always buy better camera later if i really need it but split might be enough fo me.

i have read that split is a bit slow on latency? is it really noticeable when freestyling etc not as fast based flying than racing would be?

i don't think i will need any extra tools for drone building, im a car mechanic so i have quite good collection. :D

i have read that split is a bit slow on latency? is it really noticeable when freestyling etc not as fast based flying than racing would be?
Not positive, but I think the latency was improved on the split 2. I think only the die hards will notice that kind of lag, it shouldn't effect us too much. Caddx also makes an onboard DVR camera competing with the Split, you might check the reviews.

Not positive, but I think the latency was improved on the split 2. I think only the die hards will notice that kind of lag, it shouldn't effect us too much. Caddx also makes an onboard DVR camera competing with the Split, you might check the reviews.

thanks, i have to check on that too!
yea i think that latency is more racing thing but i have no experience on these kind of cams. you can't really compare these vs mavic because its just made totally on different purpose. all the fpv cam latencies sound really low to me but i have no real experience to know if its actually affects anything or if im even able to tell the difference between, lets say 15 vs 35 latency value.

I am selling what I believe is a pretty killer package. Drones already synced with radio. Latest firmware installed and both drones have been calibrated on Betaflight. Doing a 7 day auction on eBay, but even the buy it now price is pretty good for this equipment.

Racing Drone Complete Package | eBay

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax