Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What a drone is worth buying for me

Sith Trooper

Reaction score
I'm training on drone simulator. Now I want to buy a racing drone and FPV googles but I don't know what drone and googles I should buy.
I'll be happy if someone can help me. :)

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I'm training on drone simulator. Now I want to buy a racing drone and FPV googles but I don't know what drone and googles I should buy.
I'll be happy if someone can help me. :)
It would help if you had a price range and general size you are looking for. Usually a smaller quad or whoop is good for starting as they hold up much better in crashes and cost less to repair and there will be many crashes...
Also putting as much as you can afford for goggles now as they can be used down the road. As for quads, we all end up replacing/adding others.
Also, Welcome to the forum!

I agree, get the best goggles and transmitter you can possibly afford now if you know you will stay in the hobby, they will last you a very long time, quads, props, and batteries are consumables in this hobby and will not last forever.

For a transmitter, if I were to buy today, it would be the Jumper T18 or the RadioMaster TX16S, you just can't beat the bang for the buck, and stay away from the new Frsky radios with ACCESS.

For Goggles, in the budget range you can't beat the Eachine EV800D but the built in battery isn't great. If you can swing $300+ then you can look at Skyzones or Fatshark or something like that.

Watch a bunch of reviews on anything you think you might buy and weigh the pros and cons for yurself, if you need an opinion on things let us know and we will try to help.

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah as @HighTechPauper mentioned, the EV800D internal battery is pretty garbage, doesnt hold charge that well, but you do get a 3s to dc cable for external batteries, all you need is a 3s lipo then you should be good to go. I dunno personally, I would hesitate to spend a good chunk of money for better goggles than the 800D unless you go dji digital, since I see digital as the future. That doesn't mean analog is all of a sudden useless, but there is a clear tech advantage when you go digital imo. The 800D's have all the basic features you could want such as diversity, dvr, and a detachable screen, all for around $100 rn. Also, prices might be higher than usual now for everything with whats going on, so keep that in mind when buying.

Yeah, the DJI video side gear is really nice, and it is comparable to a high end analog setup. Open source is really at the heart of this hobby, so single source isn't playing well with many people (not to mention DJI snobs), and nobody is racing with it due to slightly (and possibly greatly) increased latency. While they aren't using it for racing, for freestyle it is a great choice. I have way too much analog gear and way too many whoops to change ships now, but for a beginner that can afford it, it is a good way to go. But even with budget analog video gear you can become a great pilot, all it takes is stick time.

The problem with digital for me at the moment is the lightest DJI camera rig is about 30 grams which is almost the weight of most of my whoops. The RunCam and Caddix 4K rigs are just over half that weight so I don't see them very useful for us small rig folks until they can get the weight down... If you are flying just larger rigs then the extra weight won't make as much difference.

EDIT: I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro and it took three units until I got one that worked properly so I will never buy another DJI product as they are more concerned with putting out the newest tech without considering the quality of what they are releasing to their customers. Dealing with DJI's customer service is also a PITA! Hopefully a more reliable manufacturer will enter the digital picture...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1ikhan
If you look around you should be able to find a new pair of Skyzone 03O, being farsighted (meaning you can see far away but not up close) should work for you since with the optics the displays appear to be a distance away. The other goggle style possibility would be the Fatshark Attitude V5. I am away right now but when I get home later tonight I will reply with a few more options.

I agree, get the best goggles and transmitter you can possibly afford now if you know you will stay in the hobby, they will last you a very long time, quads, props, and batteries are consumables in this hobby and will not last forever.

For a transmitter, if I were to buy today, it would be the Jumper T18 or the RadioMaster TX16S, you just can't beat the bang for the buck, and stay away from the new Frsky radios with ACCESS.

For Goggles, in the budget range you can't beat the Eachine EV800D but the built in battery isn't great. If you can swing $300+ then you can look at Skyzones or Fatshark or something like that.

Watch a bunch of reviews on anything you think you might buy and weigh the pros and cons for yurself, if you need an opinion on things let us know and we will try to help.

Welcome to the forum!
What’s wrong with the frsky radio with access. Just asking because I just bought one for my emaxhawk 5 pro and can’t get it to bind

It seems the EMAX Hawk 5 Pro has an "EMAX Tiny Receiver" which is D8 protocol only, the ACCESS radios do not support D8 protocol, and that is the biggest issue I have with the ACCESS radios.

Not completely, but yeah. The cheapest way forward for you is to put a D16 protocol receiver in the Hawk (XM+ or R-SXR) but space is so tight you my have trouble fitting it in without cutting the canopy, the Tiny Receiver isn't great anyway, just cheaper for EMAX to produce. Second cheapest option is to get an XJT module for the radio, it plugs into the bay on the back of the radio where the R9 or Crossfire Micro would go.

The BEST way for you to go is to return (preferably) the radio and get another kind, or return the Hawk Pro and get something that is a D16 compatible BNF.

How long have you had the radio and where did you buy it?

Not completely, but yeah. The cheapest way forward for you is to put a D16 protocol receiver in the Hawk (XM+ or R-SXR) but space is so tight you my have trouble fitting it in without cutting the canopy, the Tiny Receiver isn't great anyway, just cheaper for EMAX to produce. Second cheapest option is to get an XJT module for the radio, it plugs into the bay on the back of the radio where the R9 or Crossfire Micro would go.

The BEST way for you to go is to return (preferably) the radio and get another kind, or return the Hawk Pro and get something that is a D16 compatible BNF.

How long have you had the radio and where did you buy it?
Had the radio for two weeks now from amazon

Send that puppy back and look for a Jumper TX16S, that is what I would do, or if you are dead set on Frsky look for the older ACCST version, but the Jumper is twice the radio for the money. The only issues is that the old ACCST models are hard to find in stock anywhere without getting ripped on price, and the TX16S is pre-order and could be a month or 2 to get one, again, unless you get ripped on price. If you look you will see that the exact same radio for ACCESS is CHEAPER than the ACCST model by about $10, that is because they are having trouble selling so they are trying to sweeten the deal so people might buy. Now that Jumper and RadioMaster are releasing their radios Frsky is all but dead, and the old ACCST versions are starting to go up in price.

Send that puppy back and look for a Jumper TX16S, that is what I would do, or if you are dead set on Frsky look for the older ACCST version, but the Jumper is twice the radio for the money. The only issues is that the old ACCST models are hard to find in stock anywhere without getting ripped on price, and the TX16S is pre-order and could be a month or 2 to get one, again, unless you get ripped on price. If you look you will see that the exact same radio for ACCESS is CHEAPER than the ACCST model by about $10, that is because they are having trouble selling so they are trying to sweeten the deal so people might buy. Now that Jumper and RadioMaster are releasing their radios Frsky is all but dead, and the old ACCST versions are starting to go up in price.
Can’t find a tx16 s got anymore recommendations

Go with a reputable dealer, here is a QX7S that comes with battery, charger, hall sensor gimbals and is ACCST, but low stock so if you want it better hurry.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax