Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

What’s the best space saving Frsky reciever

broncosdad1317

Reaction score
hey I don’t have too much room for a reciever but I need a new one. Mine doesn’t have diversity. Was wondering whic one has the best distance and penetration that I can run with diversity. Also one preferably you’ve had personally and know how to install :). Thank you

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
XM+ is the smallest with diversity, but no telemetry, and even with OSD I like to have telemetry also. The R-XSR is the smallest with both diversity and telemetry. They all get the same distance and penetration if they, and their antennas, are in good shape and working properly. I use every small RX they make in my quads and they all work well, even the D8 micro that I use in brushed and brushless whoops, all the way up to the XSR’s with soldered antennas. I am too new to the hobby to have needed to use the X4R witch is huge by comparison.

XM+ is the smallest with diversity, but no telemetry, and even with OSD I like to have telemetry also. The R-XSR is the smallest with both diversity and telemetry. They all get the same distance and penetration if they, and their antennas, are in good shape and working properly. I use every small RX they make in my quads and they all work well, even the D8 micro that I use in brushed and brushless whoops, all the way up to the XSR’s with soldered antennas. I am too new to the hobby to have needed to use the X4R witch is huge by comparison.
Word thank you. Aren’t soldered on antennas bad though so you can switch out exactly for what you want like length wise or exposed ends

Yes the r-xsr is what I’ll be getting. Is installing and binding hard. Seems like something I can really mess up. Also to get telemetry to work do I need to solder anything

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayno52
First off, if you want good reliable control, stick with what the manufacturer uses for antennas, some people think they know more than the people who design and build this stuff, but I can tell you from experience, they do not. Many people "switch out" something without knowing the full story of the circuitry and operational parameters and wonder why they are getting reduced range or their friends are having failsafes all of a sudden, and often this is the cause.

Soldered on antennas antennas, in my opinion, are no more of an issue than removable and they won't pop off like a removable can. A properly protected antenna is much less likely to get damaged. I have put all of mine through hell, but have never damaged a single antenna more. I completely cover them in heat shrink against a zip tie to keep them straight and protected, just a little research into RF do's and don'ts can go a long way to having good reliable performance. I see so many people tie the antenna against the carbon fiber frame, or leave the end completely uncovered, or have them parallel to each other instead of at a 90 degree angle to each other, and even some of the pros have antenna ends that look like pretzels, and they should know better. 40+ years working with all kinds of electronics and radio gear has given me some insights that others must not have and I routinely fly about 1/4 mile away and have never had a failsafe.

ALL new RX's need to be flashed to the latest firmware, installing and binding is the exact same for all of them, and telemetry is just a wire between the Smart Port pin and a free UART TX pin and then configuring in BF. If you haven't flashed a Frsky RX, check out Project Blue Falcon video on it and that should point you in the right direction. If you have any issues or questions let me know, we can do a quick video call and I can show you how it goes, I am Eastern US time zone.

First off, if you want good reliable control, stick with what the manufacturer uses for antennas, some people think they know more than the people who design and build this stuff, but I can tell you from experience, they do not. Many people "switch out" something without knowing the full story of the circuitry and operational parameters and wonder why they are getting reduced range or their friends are having failsafes all of a sudden, and often this is the cause.

Soldered on antennas antennas, in my opinion, are no more of an issue than removable and they won't pop off like a removable can. A properly protected antenna is much less likely to get damaged. I have put all of mine through hell, but have never damaged a single antenna more. I completely cover them in heat shrink against a zip tie to keep them straight and protected, just a little research into RF do's and don'ts can go a long way to having good reliable performance. I see so many people tie the antenna against the carbon fiber frame, or leave the end completely uncovered, or have them parallel to each other instead of at a 90 degree angle to each other, and even some of the pros have antenna ends that look like pretzels, and they should know better. 40+ years working with all kinds of electronics and radio gear has given me some insights that others must not have and I routinely fly about 1/4 mile away and have never had a failsafe.

ALL new RX's need to be flashed to the latest firmware, installing and binding is the exact same for all of them, and telemetry is just a wire between the Smart Port pin and a free UART TX pin and then configuring in BF. If you haven't flashed a Frsky RX, check out Project Blue Falcon video on it and that should point you in the right direction. If you have any issues or questions let me know, we can do a quick video call and I can show you how it goes, I am Eastern US time zone.
Wow man thanks a lot. Much appreciated and I have done a lot of research on all that except which ones best. I do have mine with a zip tie and yesterday I added heat shrink :). It’s at a 90 degree angle from my vtx antenna. The reason being I want a diff reciever is just two reasons. I’d like telemetry as well as diversity. That’s really it. I just don’t have the room for a larger one. Thanks again man I’ll check that video out and when I get the reciever if I have any problems I’ll surly give you a jingle :)

So why’s diversity better then??? I’m just assuming with diversity I’d get closer to 2km?!
Diversity doesn't increase your range. It just lessens the chance of you losing picture signal in your goggles by using another receiver to switchover to (whichever has the stronger signal at the time). In FPV flying, that is very valuable because you don't wanna be flying 'blind'.

I think he is asking about control RX diversity, not vTX RX diversity.

In control, every antenna has a "null" area where signal is very poor, usually straight out from the antenna. With RX diversity the goal is to place those antenna at 90 degree angle to each other so that when you are looking straight into the end of one antenna (weakest signal) the other antenna is at an angle that yields the strongest signal, so much less chance of having a failsafe. It doesn't really get you any more distance, but it does get you greater reliability.

In vTX RX diversity the goal is slightly different, but the idea of getting the strongest signal is the same. Usually for video a pilot will run one Omnidirectional antenna for all around coverage, but limited range, and one Unidirectional antenna for greater range but only in one direction with a limited cone of reception.

Reactions: broncosdad1317
I think he is asking about control RX diversity, not vTX RX diversity.

In control, every antenna has a "null" area where signal is very poor, usually straight out from the antenna. With RX diversity the goal is to place those antenna at 90 degree angle to each other so that when you are looking straight into the end of one antenna (weakest signal) the other antenna is at an angle that yields the strongest signal, so much less chance of having a failsafe. It doesn't really get you any more distance, but it does get you greater reliability.

In vTX RX diversity the goal is slightly different, but the idea of getting the strongest signal is the same. Usually for video a pilot will run one Omnidirectional antenna for all around coverage, but limited range, and one Unidirectional antenna for greater range but only in one direction with a limited cone of reception.
Yes exactly what I meant. Thanks guys I learned more today I already plan on getting the r-xsr for my build. Just buying piece at a time for now :). Rip up this other frame in the meantime :)

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax