Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Well, it had to happen...

graywoulf

Reaction score
Took my X220 out for a flight after balancing the props of which two were really bad and was having a good flight in spite of the little bit of wind that was blowing and got too close to a building behind my house and ended up crashing into some really tall grass. The quad was fine when I found it which wasn't hard to do but unfortunately, my GoPro Hero 5 Session was nowhere to be seen.

I even dragged my wife out of the house to help me look for it and we searched for over an hour before giving up. I tried to use the GoPro app on my phone to find it but it never could link up to it via WiFi. There is no telling where it ended up in all of that grassy field. I was using an adjustable camera mount which was secured by a industrial grade zip tie and the zip tie had snapped the zip tab on the inside of the latching part.

I will resume my search later on but I don't think I will find it any time soon. :(

• Sad
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Took my X220 out for a flight after balancing the props of which two were really bad and was having a good flight in spite of the little bit of wind that was blowing and got too close to a building behind my house and ended up crashing into some really tall grass. The quad was fine when I found it which wasn't hard to do but unfortunately, my GoPro Hero 5 Session was nowhere to be seen.

I even dragged my wife out of the house to help me look for it and we searched for over an hour before giving up. I tried to use the GoPro app on my phone to find it but it never could link up to it via WiFi. There is no telling where it ended up in all of that grassy field. I was using an adjustable camera mount which was secured by a industrial grade zip tie and the zip tie had snapped the zip tab on the inside of the latching part.

I will resume my search later on but I don't think I will find it any time soon. :(
No DVR to review? I lost my tyro in deep brush and never found it. I made sure from then on I would always have my dvr running on my headset. Good Luck, I hope you find it.

No DVR to review? I lost my tyro in deep brush and never found it. I made sure from then on I would always have my dvr running on my headset. Good Luck, I hope you find it.

No DVR footage as I totally forgot to turn it on. I know exactly what happend though but being that the field it landed in has grass anywhere from knee high to waist high, makes the search all the more frustrating. I thought about cutting it with a weed whacker but that would not help. Thanks for the well wishes.

• Sad
Well that sucks, having ejected batteries, GoPros and the like often enough. Depending on the impact speed, I have found my bits and pieces within a ten mtr radius and whilst I don’t have long grass, I live in a forest where everything looks like a stick or a leaf. You’ll find it, not in a small gap alongside the building or up on the roof?

Well, I looked for an hour or so today. Walking narrow rows back and forth through the more than waist high grass but no GoPro. I even flew my Spark over the area in a tight and broader search pattern and still didn't find it. The quad landed in shorter grass facing the really tall stuff which made me think that it could not have gone far but at this point, I give up. Looking to buy another HERO 5 Session. Here is a picture of where I have been looking. May find it some time next winter when this field has been cut for hay and the rest dies out. Hope it survives the cutting and tractor wheels.

Tall Grass.jpg

• Sad
Well, I looked for an hour or so today. Walking narrow rows back and forth through the more than waist high grass but no GoPro. I even flew my Spark over the area in a tight and broader search pattern and still didn't find it. The quad landed in shorter grass facing the really tall stuff which made me think that it could not have gone far but at this point, I give up. Looking to buy another HERO 5 Session. Here is a picture of where I have been looking. May find it some time next winter when this field has been cut for hay and the rest dies out. Hope it survives the cutting and tractor wheels.

View attachment 4486
Keep looking, but if you give up , there are much cheaper alternatives like the Runcam 5.

Reactions: graywoulf
Keep looking, but if you give up , there are much cheaper alternatives like the Runcam 5.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at alternative choices late last night and this was one I was considering. It has great picture quality and features. However, the audio recording of the motor sounds is awful. It is a high pitched screeching sound that is just not good. I am still considering it though as I could filter the sound in post production editing. Thanks again. ?

Well, I found another deal on a GoPro Hero 5 Session on ebay and bought it. Problem solved. I also will not be using any more two piece adjustable mounts as well. Maybe I will find the other one this winter and be lucky enough to find it intact.

The next GoPro Hero5 Session will be tethered to my quad and mounted with a different TPU mount. I'm not taking any more chances with my GoPro cams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax