Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

VTX Setup help.

Roadking

Reaction score
Website
aerialdroneservice.myportfolio.com
I got a new GEPRC Phantom toothpick and set it up. Got it bound and all the TX switches working. It flies very smooth.

Only problem is I can't change the vtx channel. I tried holding the button and plugging in, holding button for 5 seconds, etc, etc. Stays on the one channel. I went into the CLI's and changed the channel, but it is still not on the channel I want. I tried using the OSD, but can't get that to work.

Any ideas are appreciated.

One other thing is that the quad gets VERY hot. I thought maybe the vtx was set to a high output causing that , so in the CLI's I set vtx_power = 2, but it still gets very hot.

Not sure if that is normal, or if the two issues are related, but thought I'd mention that too.

As always, I thank you for your ideas and help.

Also just probably stating the obvious bu if you haven't already, I would look at upgrading the vtx antenna to something like this.
It makes a massive difference mate.

[AU$29.90]Lumenier Micro AXII U.FL 5.8GHz 1.6dBi Gain FPV Antenna RHCP / LHCP For RC Drone RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com

Reactions: HighTechPauper
vTX's make a lot of heat, no matter what power setting they are on, it is just a byproduct of generating RF. My guess is the vTX is locked, hopefully Wayne's video gets you sorted.

Reactions: Wayno52
Is it set up for Tramp Telemetry in the ports section of BF? Can you show the vTX portion of the manual so we can give some thoughts?

Maybe this is where I'm getting stuck:

How do I set up the VTX? 1. Set the Channel. In standby mode, press and hold the key for 3 seconds, the blue LED flashes, short press, change the channel value.Every time 1 press will change the CH, followed by 1CH to 8CH cycles. 2. Set the Band. In the channel setting mode, press and hold the key for 3 seconds, the green LED flashes, briefly presses, changes the frequency group value.Every time 1 press will change the band, and then the A band to F band loop. 3. Set the Power.In the band setting mode, press and hold the key for 3 seconds, the red LED flashes, short press, change the output power value.Every time 1 press will change the power, followed by 25mW / 100mW / 200mW cycle.
It references 3 modes; standby, channel setting and band setting, but I don't know how to enter each of those modes. I can press the button, but how would I know what channel I am on? Then, how do I enter the next setting mode?

Thank you all for your help. I got it going. I didn't realize that to go from one mode to another was simply a another short button press after the previous setting was made. Now it makes sense but it didn't at the time.

I put it in Tramp, but now put it back to Smartaudio which I think is what it should be (unless I'm wrong).

Really appreciate the support.

Ok, this is really pretty simple...
Somehow plug in a battery so that you can catch the ENTIRE power up LED sequence on the vTX, you may need to do it several times to catch and count what the LED's do, but it will tell you (once decoded with the instructions) exactly what it is set to. My guess is that right now it will Blue flash once, Green flash once, and Red flash once which means Band setting one, Channels setting 1, and power level setting 1.

Then, once it is done with this sequence and it is in Standby, there will likely be an LED or LED combination that is solid, maybe flashing but that would be unusual.

This is standard for the large majority of vTX with only LED's and no 8 segment display.

Once the vTX has entered the standby mode, press and hold the button for ABOUT 3 seconds, if you are watching our friends the LED's you should see some flash to indicate you are in the Menu and in the Channels settings, and the Blue LED will flash some number of times to say what channel. Then QUICKLY press and let off the button, the Blue LED should flash 1 more time than it used too. Decode what LED flashes you expect, for instance, I run Race Band (Band 5) Channel 5, so I want 5 Blue, 5 Green, and probably 2-4 Red depending on the power I want to run.

Also, according to the what I read on Oscar Liang's website, this vTX supports Tramp Telemetry so if it is disabled in the Ports tab that is why working at the CLI or OSD is having no effect.

Ping me if I can help you through it the first time, I remember when I taught this to poor @Wayno52 a year ago, it can be daunting until you get the hang of it, but now he is a pro!

Thank you all for your help. I got it going. I didn't realize that to go from one mode to another was simply a another short button press after the previous setting was made. Now it makes sense but it didn't at the time.

I put it in Tramp, but now put it back to Smartaudio which I think is what it should be (unless I'm wrong).

Really appreciate the support.
Figures I would be writing a book about this and not see your reply until too late LOL :D
You should check the manual as it should say what vTX telemetry it supports, but according to Oscar it is Tramp.

Figures I would be writing a book about this and not see your reply until too late LOL :D
You should check the manual as it should say what vTX telemetry it supports, but according to Oscar it is Tramp.
I appreciate your book and it is what worked so thank you. I’ll check what the vtx telemetry should be too.

Haha, I remember it well Randy.
Long night that one.
Yeah Roadking, too easy to do the slightest thing wrong and have to start all over again.
Once you get it figured out it seems so easy.
If you set all your birds to the same band and channel, no need to mess with goggles like I always had to.

• Love
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Long night that one.
Yeah Roadking, too easy to do the slightest thing wrong and have to start all over again.
If you set all your birds to the same band and channel, no need to mess with goggles like I always had to.
Yea. That’s why I wanted to change the channel in the first place. I actually pasted in the original CLI’s and started over like you said. Good practice setting things up.
I want to set all the Taranus switches the same too.

Easiest way to do things is to setup one quad completely, and then copy that profile and rename it to your new quad, that way all the switches and features are the same on the TX side. The worst part is when you configure something new and all your quads have it, then you need to go to each profile and mod it. Some people only have 1 model in their TX and bind all their quads to the same one, but that doesn't allow for different TX Output adjustments for BF low/mid/max or things like tweaking the VBat Telemetry for a given quads ADC reading.

Long night that one.
And the student becomes the teacher ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax