Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Tyrant replacement antenna

Fiddlebog

Reaction score
In a crash a while back I busted the VTX antenna on my Tyrant S pretty bad. It basically pulled out from the (brass?) mounting nut, tearing the outter metal mesh just underneath the blue rubber of the antenna. I was able to strip some of this off and solder that back on so as to complete the circuit the antenna forms, but this solder is far more fragile than the original mesh, and breaks easily in a crash (thus requiring me to solder it back all over again).

TL;DR - I need a replacement antenna

But I can't find one! I know that the Tyrant S comes with a 4 leaf antenna, but that's about it. I found this on HobbyKing for the original Tyrant, but it's 3 leaf Diatone Tyrant 5.8GHz FPV 3 Leaf AV Circular Polarised Antenna RHCP SMA

I would like to get an antenna that will be of equal or greater quality, but I don't know exactly what to look for. if I understand correctly, there are certain types of antennas and it isn't as simple as just getting a 4-leaf or something that will fit. Is there a good guide for this sort of thing? how do I know what will work with my VTX (and goggles)?

On a slightly different note: it looks like the coax cable connecting the antenna to the VTX is fraying where it connects to the VTX on the outer sheath. How can I fix this? Can I solder it without worry about fusing the inner wire to the outer one? Or should I try striping some or something? The cable is a little long, so I can afford to lose some length.

You mean the silver shielding is fraying? If there is enough slack, you can trim and resolder both the core wire and the shield. It isn't the easiest repair but not the worst either if you watch a couple youtube videos on soldering coax.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya