Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Throttle Question

hardaur

Reaction score
Hey all!

Old DJI pilot, but new to DIY racing drones. I'm having a problem (or perhaps just ignorance/confusion) with my throttle and hoping to get a little help before I go completely nuts.

relevant equipment:
- HGLRC F460 (Titan) stack (BetaFlight 4.0.3, ESCs BLHeli32 updated (don't remember firmware version off top, but just a couple days), running DSHOT1200)
- FrSky X-Lite

The problems is that the throttle is idling at 1500 (center point), as I move down toward 1000 the speed increases up to, let's call it, X), as I move from 1500 to 2000 the motor speed increases from idle to X+A LOT. So it speeds up if I pull the stick down, and speeds up even more when I move the stick up. The X-Lite is set to Mode 2 (Left stick Throttle and re-center disengaged).

If I spin up the motors in BetaFlight or BLHeli32 Suite I get the same results, so will rule out the X-Lite.

So there's 1) something I don't understand about this style of flying, or 2) I have some configuration issue I don't understand. I'm really concerned about getting it in the air as-is as it seems as though it'd be a nightmare to control. Is this true, or is this correct and something I just have to practice with?

So is there anybody out there willing to tell me what kind of idiot I am?

Also, a little concerned about first flight as the drone I built is no joke, it's gonna scream - is there some way I can configure a newbie mode where the power is significantly reduced while I come to grips with it? Honestly, being an experienced pilot but in a very different class I very much underestimated the power this thing would have.

Thanks all for any help!

G

Hi Hardaur,
Welcome to the forum. Without sounding disrespectful being an "Old DJI PILOT" is incorrect you were an OLD DJI "DIRECTOR". Having gps - barometers and distance sensors made you a director of the flight path to a pilot as you will learn once you start flying FREESTYLE.
You will see you have 3 modes to fly
1. LEVEL (limited roll pitch and yaw to a specific angle) always tries to level
2. HORIZON ( removes the angle limit so you can do flips and rolls) always tries to level
ACRO ( no leveling no angle limit)

If you listen to and heed all of the BEST quad pilots, you should start and stay in ACRO mode. That way you won't create any bad habits to conquer later.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions here. These guys really go out of there way to help. Especially new "PILOTS"
I'm 72 years old and started building and flying quads in 2015. Historically I have over 3,000 hours PIC time (pilot in command) Fixed wing, multi-engine, commercial, instrument and it didn't do a bit of good when I started flying quads.
The best thing you can do for yourself is use a simulator program on your computer with your controller and fly every day or night. My favorite sim program is "FPV AIR 2" you may have to upgrade the video card in your computer to run the program smoothly but it will be well worth it in the long run. Everyone needs "STICK TIME"
Please let me know how your doing.
Keep the shiny side Up

Hi Hardaur,
Welcome to the forum. Without sounding disrespectful being an "Old DJI PILOT" is incorrect you were an OLD DJI "DIRECTOR". Having gps - barometers and distance sensors made you a director of the flight path to a pilot as you will learn once you start flying FREESTYLE.
You will see you have 3 modes to fly
1. LEVEL (limited roll pitch and yaw to a specific angle) always tries to level
2. HORIZON ( removes the angle limit so you can do flips and rolls) always tries to level
ACRO ( no leveling no angle limit)

If you listen to and heed all of the BEST quad pilots, you should start and stay in ACRO mode. That way you won't create any bad habits to conquer later.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions here. These guys really go out of there way to help. Especially new "PILOTS"
I'm 72 years old and started building and flying quads in 2015. Historically I have over 3,000 hours PIC time (pilot in command) Fixed wing, multi-engine, commercial, instrument and it didn't do a bit of good when I started flying quads.
The best thing you can do for yourself is use a simulator program on your computer with your controller and fly every day or night. My favorite sim program is "FPV AIR 2" you may have to upgrade the video card in your computer to run the program smoothly but it will be well worth it in the long run. Everyone needs "STICK TIME"
Please let me know how your doing.
Keep the shiny side Up

Bob,

Well, first thing I was going to say (just having fun) was that if that's the case (Director vs Pilot) we need to inform airline pilots, but later on you kind of took the wind out of my sails on that one, respect. : D

I've flown multiple DJI models including Air, Mavik Pro, and P4 (still have the last two). Have done a little acro with P4, but not a lot and haven't put those birds in the air in probably close to 8 months (aside from just running batteries). So I'm rusty all around.

Have the 3 big sims and have been playing with them to see what's most useful as a learning platform, not a game. I am going to try working strictly in acro, but it's a brutal beatdown at the moment. I know it's all muscle memory, just have to put in the stick time. So why FPV Air 2 over Liftoff/Velocidrone/DRL? I'll definitely give it a look, but curious.

As far as paying attention to pilots, any particular youtube recommendations? I've paid attention to UAVFutures for equipment and have got a TON from Joshua Bardwell from a knowledge perspective. You've got a couple decades on me, but older guy here too. Oh to have my 20 year old reflexes back!

I appreciate your input, Bob. Thanks!

Gerald

P.S. And as for how I'm doing? I SUCK at the moment. hehe

Hi Gerald,
If you have flown ACRO than you know what I mean with no disrespect. After flying all of the sims I liked the smooth graphics and it seems to be the most realistic feel. I fly with a Horus X10 controller.
You don't suck ....you just lack stick time.
I have four micros I flew in the house When I was learning. I got tired of the little ones and wanted something with more power so I moved up to a Eachine LIZARD 150S (I did put the prop cards on before flying in the house.) After taking out 2- picture frames and a vase the higher powers banished the LIZARD 150S to outdoors only.
Remember, the bigger they get......... the more spare parts you'll need.
Also Back in 2015 I had a Hubsan 150S after moving up to freestyle quads I gave the Hubsan 150S to my 80 year old neighbor for his birthday last March and he loves it. Almost hit me last week during a take off. CRAZY OLD MAN!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax