Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Thread Modes Am I charging and using my lipos the right way (newbie)

kivo123

Reaction score
Hello, I just got into fpv so I have much to learn.

I use two different lipo batteries 4s and 5s.

1. When I charge my batteries both 4s and 5s using my isdt D2 200w I set the full charge to be 4.2v/cell, then wait for the charger to beep once all cells reach 4.2v - is this right?

2. When I charge I also set my C rating like this. 1300Mah = 1.3C and 1550mah = 1.5C - is this right?

3. In case I wont fly for more than one week I set my charger to storage and 3.85v/cell and C rating to 0.5C and wait for my charger to either drain or charge the battery to 3.85v/cell - is this right?

4. When I fly I have set my OSD to show cell voltage, and I always land when I reach 3.7-3.8v/cell - is this right?

Sorry if this things seems obvious but I just wanted to double check. I get a bit confused when the battery labels says that full charge is 3.8v/cell and then I read that the real full charge is 4.2v

Hello, I just got into fpv so I have much to learn.

I use two different lipo batteries 4s and 5s.

1. When I charge my batteries both 4s and 5s using my isdt D2 200w I set the full charge to be 4.2v/cell, then wait for the charger to beep once all cells reach 4.2v - is this right?

2. When I charge I also set my C rating like this. 1300Mah = 1.3C and 1550mah = 1.5C - is this right?

3. In case I wont fly for more than one week I set my charger to storage and 3.85v/cell and C rating to 0.5C and wait for my charger to either drain or charge the battery to 3.85v/cell - is this right?

4. When I fly I have set my OSD to show cell voltage, and I always land when I reach 3.7-3.8v/cell - is this right?

Sorry if this things seems obvious but I just wanted to double check. I get a bit confused when the battery labels says that full charge is 3.8v/cell and then I read that the real full charge is 4.2v

Hi @kivo123 and welcome to the forum. What you are thinking is basically correct and I will give a few extra points to your questions...

1. The iSDT chargers generally have 2 "finish" modes and generally occur fairly quickly between each other. Green is usually Charge Finished and Blue is Balance Finish which may take a few more minutes.

2. Correct, this is the best for battery life and safety, but all new batteries in good condition could charge at 2-3C without any issue, say you needed to get one charged quick, but babysitting is even more important then.

3. Correct, many would say not to leave fully charged or fully discharged for more than a day, and when you can you should bring them up or down to storage, but it actually makes very little difference since they will likely get destroyed long before they would were out from this. No matter how hard you try you will crash, and that tends to kill or limit the life much worse, but is an unavoidable side effect and there isn't much we can do about it.

4. That is leaving some flight time on the batteries, I run a little lower under load. When I start clipping 3.5 volts or lower on larger acceleration, it is time to think about landing. Once the battery is not under load the voltage will rise a bit, when you land and give the battery 1 hour to fully cool down, it should rest near 3.7 per cell or you are taking a bit too much out of it (Happens to me all the time) and if you have anything above 3.7 you could have flown another 10-15 seconds or more.

In the beginning none of this is obvious unless you are a electrical engineer so no worries there. When you see the 3.7 (regular Lipos, charge to max 4.2 safely) or 3.8 (High Voltage Lipos, charge to max 4.35v safely) they are referring to the "nominal voltage" which is supposed to be the 50% full/empty mark. That is why I don't worry if I rest to 3.4-3.5 occasionally, and anything above 3.2 rested and you are fine. Like I said, we usually physically destroy them long before these things are a factor in the life of our batteries.

Reactions: Wayno52
Flora is correct in noting that when you said
that was somewhat incorrectly stated.

The fact is that a 1C "charge rate" for a 1300mah would be to charge at 1.3 amps of current, and 1.5-1.6 amps for your 1550mah if you wanted to charge at, or near a 1C rate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax