Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Things to Consider when Building RC drone with Foam

ada002

Reaction score
When building RC drone with foam I think it is safe to say foam has become one of the most important materials for because of the ready availability and wide variety and use of low-cost electric power. It is much more economical for commercial suppliers of RC ARF aircraft to use foam than labor-intensive built-up balsa structures. In addition, the price for balsa wood, the traditional RC building material has continued to reach higher levels due to demand in other larger markets and limited supply.

I have never heard of or seen a drone built with foam board. I build "foamies" airplanes but I can't imagine a drone built with foam. Pictures? ?

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
There may be exceptions, but with most planes it's the ailerons/rudder/elevator that control direction. quads fly using motors on the tip of four arms. even if the foam was covered with a plastic wrap or something, I would think the tork would rip the arms off in a snap roll.
if you dont want to break your quad everytime there's a hard landing, consider carbon fiber. 5mm arms and bottom plate. 4mm roll cage with 3mm upper plate. aluminum or steel stand offs using steel 8mm M3 bolts and locknuts
I roll my quads around on the ground alot. believe me.. you don't want to be fixing all the time.
I'd like to see a pre maiden picture too but I don't want to see the aftermath of a foam acro/race quad frame.
the reason we use CF is to protect expensive electrics

Reactions: graywoulf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya