Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Taranis Q X7 freeze at start up

Have you tried to take out the SD and reflash the radio with opentx? It is my guess that the internal memory may be corrupted and I would think a reflash might fix it? And I assume you have already tried to turn it on without the SD card in?

Have you tried to take out the SD and reflash the radio with opentx? It is my guess that the internal memory may be corrupted and I would think a reflash might fix it? And I assume you have already tried to turn it on without the SD card in?

Thanks! Since the transmitter was delivered without SD-card I haven't had a chance to try with any yet.
As I said, complete beginner and didn't understand that I needed to order that as well. :(
So, no SD card in when this problem occurs.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
Yes, try bootloader mode and try to reflash it. The OpenTX Companion is not exactly straight forward so let me know if you want a hand. 2 other things, you will likely want an SD card (smallest you can find at a good price no bigger than 32G, since it needs to stay in the radio forever), and there is a chance that if you can get into bootloader mode you can see if there is a chance that "restoring EEPROM" will fix it too so try that before you try to reflash it.

Yes, try bootloader mode and try to reflash it. The OpenTX Companion is not exactly straight forward so let me know if you want a hand. 2 other things, you will likely want an SD card (smallest you can find at a good price no bigger than 32G, since it needs to stay in the radio forever), and there is a chance that if you can get into bootloader mode you can see if there is a chance that "restoring EEPROM" will fix it too so try that before you try to reflash it.
Thanks! Yes, will get a SD card as soon as I can start up the transmitter again.
Is there some other way to try bootloader mode than pressing the trim buttons to the center?
That didn't do any difference, same thing as in video.

When going into bootloader mode with a qx7, instead of holding the power button you hold the trims in and just quickly bump the power button. Give that a few tries please
Thanks! I've tried many different ways now (and also with longer pause between the tries). Nothing happens.
Just a quick low cracking sound from the speaker and the red light flashing on the power button.

I would read through this to see if anything clicks, Horus is the company that actually make the Frsky and Horus series radios.

Thanks! I've tried many different ways now (and also with longer pause between the tries). Nothing happens.
Just a quick low cracking sound from the speaker and the red light flashing on the power button.

This is sounding much like what happened to mine.
I dug through and found the emails between me and FRSky about mine.

My Email:
I have a QX7 that I use with both my PC for simulators via usb and for flying whoop drones. As of a couple of days ago it will no longer power up and all I get is a pop from the speaker when pressing the power button. If I plug it into the computer via usb, it shows up as a "unspecified" device as "STM32 BOOTLOADER". From searching on the internet it appears to be bricked
Since the unit will not power up at all, I tried many times reloading the firmware in DFU mode with and without the battery connected and it shows flashing complete each time but the unit still will not power up.
Is there anything I am missing or is it possible there is a hardware failure as well as the corrupt opentx?
The battery is charged and have tried other batteries as well.

FRSky's response:
Sorry to hear about the trouble. I have attached our unbricking guide in case this may help or if there was any steps missed.

Also, sometimes an odd occurrence, but we have seen that also removing the watch battery from the main board and letting the radio power down completely for a bit also helps. The button cell battery may also need to be replaced.

Me Now
They also attached a PDF entitled "Unbricking Radios" which I had already found online. I uploaded it to my website and here is a download link.
http://brett-brandon.com/UnbrickingRadios.pdf

My Response:
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the response.
I did already find that one and the one on the OpenTX site. I have tried the method (#3) dozens of times and it shows completed successfully but the unit still will not power up.

I have tried removing the watch battery a few times and even tried updating with it uninstalled. It is also good reading at just over 3 volts.

Just tried updating again and here is the text from it. There is a warning at the end of the text. It still showed successfully updating the QX7.

C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/Companion 2.2/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 --device 0483:df11 -DV:/Drone/FW-X7-X7S-20190905/opentx-x7-multimodule-lua-en.bin
=================================================================================
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
Opening DFU capable USB device... ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0x08000000/04*016Kg,01*064Kg,07*128Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 2048
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 378696
.........................................................................................................................................................................................
File downloaded successfully
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix

=================================================================================

It seems that something else is wrong.

FRSky's response:
The DFU write from OpenTX seems to be writing like it should be but there may be some other issue occurring.

If you have your purchase receipt (or screenshots of it) we can set you up with an RMA number to send the radio in for repair.

Me Now
It ended up needeing the main board replaced.
In my searching about the problem I came across what I mentioned earlier about ejecting it from the computer before unplugging the USB. Apparently that may have caused the failure but that was after many dozens and dozens of just unplugging it without ejecting it first...

Since you just got the unit, I would suggest returning it as defective for another one if you can not get it working.

I would also leave the coin battery out of it for like 10 minutes, or even an hour, you just never know if a good capacitor in the circuit might hold up the memory longer than expected. It never hurts to try things outside the usual box when troubleshooting. Keep us informed please.

Just trying to help out. The other thing I saw mentioned was when you remove the watch battery leave it out for a while maybe even an hour or two.

EDIT: You just beat me to it...

Thanks a lot for all your answers about this! I appreciate it a lot. Looks like a really great forum here!
Being new to this and don't know what to do is really frustrating when all i want is to be able to spend some hours in the simulator to then take the first real flight with my drone.

Will try removing the battery for a longer time and also contact the seller to hear what they think I should do.
Thanks again!

Update: Got some support from the website I bought it all from and they told me to follow Method 3 at this page:

Method 3: DFU (Radio off)
Unbricking Taranis Radios with OpenTX Operating Systems

I installed the STM32 Bootloader using the Zadig software but then getting back to the OpenTX where the instructions are "Flash the radio as you would normally" i got lost (since I'm new to this, I don't normally flash radios... ;)). How do I know what settings to use for this radio? Maybe it was there it went all wrong the first time?
Thanks!

Skärmavbild 2020-04-30 kl. 14.31.05.png

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2020-04-30 kl. 14.31.05.png
    Skärmavbild 2020-04-30 kl. 14.31.05.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 2
The only way you would have bricked the radio was by having the wrong one selected under RadioType, but you should also tick LUA, LUAC, NOHELI, and possibly EU since I think you said your radio was an EU/LBT model. You can always reflash it if you ever get and R9 module in the future.

This is also the same thing I suggested 8 posts back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz