Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Standard or Wide-angle/Fish-eye FPV camera: What do you fly with?

Frisbee

Reaction score
With my only attempt at garage flying, the biggest problem was that I couldn't judge where the ceiling or ground was, depending on angle. (Donk!) Another problem I have now is landing, where I feel like I'm looking at the sky while I'm trying to land, and I feel really disoriented trying to lower the quad for a soft landing. (I tried taking the goggles off for landing, but I've decided to not do that anymore since my eyesight is not very good for LOS flying unless the quad is very close. (The wind blew it a little distance, and then I ended up in some low tree branches because I couldn't figure out the quad's orientation.) I guess the Field of View on Eachine Wizard X220 camera is fairly narrow, so I'm thinking about upgrading to a camera with a wider field of view.

Any thoughts on standard vs wide-angle/fish-eye FPV cameras? And what do you fly with?

With my only attempt at garage flying, the biggest problem was that I couldn't judge where the ceiling or ground was, depending on angle. (Donk!) Another problem I have now is landing, where I feel like I'm looking at the sky while I'm trying to land, and I feel really disoriented trying to lower the quad for a soft landing. (I tried taking the goggles off for landing, but I've decided to not do that anymore since my eyesight is not very good for LOS flying unless the quad is very close. (The wind blew it a little distance, and then I ended up in some low tree branches because I couldn't figure out the quad's orientation.) I guess the Field of View on Eachine Wizard X220 camera is fairly narrow, so I'm thinking about upgrading to a camera with a wider field of view.

Any thoughts on standard vs wide-angle/fish-eye FPV cameras? And what do you fly with?

Personally, I would have alot of trouble flying with that camera.

The specs for your camera are:
Lens : 2.8mm IR coated
FOV : 127°diagonal 110°horizontal (ideal for fixed camera)

My preference is a 1.8mm or maybe a 2.1mm lens.
Here are roughly the view angles or FOV (field of view).
1.8mm 160° – 170°
2.1mm 150° – 160°
2.3mm 140° – 150°
2.5mm 130° – 140°

I prefer the wider angles not only to see above and below, but also to see better to the side when turning when flying in tighter spaces. I usually have my camera angle around thirty to thirty five degrees.
I land more like an airplane, decending while moving forward. I still haven't mastered "smooth" landings yet buy fly little whoops which can take a beating...
For me when the quad is sitting on the ground, the horizon level is a little above the bottom of the screen so I can see some of the ground.
Typically for racing, the camera angle is greater to alow the quad to pitch more for faster flight and still see where you are going. At that point you will not see the ground while hovering. It depends on what kind of flying you are doing and personal preference.

I would suggest a new camera with a wider angle for what it sounds like you are doing.

I also like a 1.8 or 2.1mm, you get used to the fish eye after a while and it helps to have the wider FOV. Instead of replacing the whole camera, you can just buy a replacement lens, the big ones are all 12mm in diameter and micros are 8mm. If you look around you can get one for about $6.

Cheers, it looks like everyone has gone wider than 110°. After looking around a bit, the RunCam Swift 2 was recommended by Joshua Bardwell and Grayson Hobby. The Foxeer Predator was recommended by Rotor Riot. I'm guessing I'll get the RunCam Swift 2 (2.5mm 130° / 2.3mm 150° / 2.1mm 165° (Optional)), maybe with some extra lenses so I can find the FOV that woks best for me. I have the Eachine Goggles Two, which might also factor in. If I continue to progress, I'll eventually upgrade the goggles as well.

1.8mm 160° – 170° <-- preferred
2.1mm 150° – 160° <-- preferred
2.3mm 140° – 150°
2.5mm 130° – 140°
2.8mm 110° <-- FOV is too narrow, especially when judging height (landing, garage flying)

Alrighty, RunCam Swift 2 it is! I was just about to buy it, when I came across another decision, NTSC or Pal? Am I correct in thinking that the Pal will give me a better FOV in the Y axis, because it has a greater height to width ratio? Since FOV is the main purpose of this purchase, that would be the way to go if correct.

PAL: 720 x 576 @ 25fps
NTSC: 720 x 480 @ 30fps

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
I use NTSC for the frame rate and size.
heres a good article. Lang is one of my favorite.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax