Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Solder with flux?

broncosdad1317

Reaction score
can I use solder with flux in it for working on my quad or does it have to be the flux you put on by hand

Rosin core solder is the way to go, if you ever need to reflow a joint but can't really add any new solder because the joint doesn't need anymore is a good time to use flux, it will re-purify the solder and bring any heat damage and impurities to the surface where they can be easily cleaned with a little alcohol. If your technique is good enough you can just remove some old solder so that when you add a bit of new the rosin will do that for you also.

i use flux (added manually) everytime i "refloat" an existing solder joint. i especially like how flux seems to make tiny pad work faster (less heat to the board) and shiny little balls. if you use flux, use alcohol to clean off the resedue.. eg.. qtip and a light polishing. ive been using rubbing alcohol.
normally, i just dip the tinned end of the wire going in flux. when it hits the pre-tinned pad its instant and seems cleaner to me than withought it.
i don't think it required.

Last edited:
Reactions: broncosdad1317
this may or may not do anything at all.. like to much flux and being to **** soldering... but..
i find that before starting every session, i go to 800f.. tin the tip and use the wire pad to get access off.. then let it sit. butt it on the wire pad once just before using and its super pretty (shiney) .
anyone else use tip tinner regularly? it certainly can't hurt.
this kit works for me.. most important thing is heat so get a good iron right up front as an expense of building instead of buying. it's worth it and a one time cost. i spent maybe a 135$ total with the full set of tips.
1519010760715678139783.jpg
oh... practice...
lots... find a shitty computer, camera or phone and dig a board out off it. practice on it first no matter what iron you buy.
its fun and may save a new f5 pad for you.

I'm not being cocky, i soldered rc planes and hellies in the 70s but these boards are not for cheap irons

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoCloneOne
here's a good question... when is the wet sponge right to use?
When the tip of your soldering iron seems to have excess solder on it or the tinned tip of the soldering iron looks a dull color. A good proper soldering iron tinned tip should look a shiny bright silver/ chrome color with no extra solder sticking on it. Will give the best soldering results.

Reactions: Keifie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax