Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

solder practice, need critique and input

thats what i needed to know Green, thank you sir! I'll have to try some 63/37 as well now. after years of radio shack irons, this new setup is so much easier (its more predictable) but a little practice yesterday got me close i guess. a little more practice today and ill be ready when the last bits arrive next week.
along with the esc covers is coming a new bnf micro (2") so its gonna be awesome!
thanks again Green!!
I used radio shack irons for years, they are tougher. You have to keep a good bit of solder on the tip of irons like that, you cant sand or file them like rs irons

Reactions: HighTechPauper
im waiting for esc covers to start a first build so practicing this evening. I've done normal hobby soldering for years, was ok .. this small stuff it taking some practice.
this is just a junk board. im also checking this paracord for around vtx and rx wires... maybe lol.

anyway, these joints test out, look fat though... will they do? i want the real thing to be looking whistle clean... any pointers?

thanks
jjView attachment 1381
I used this same paracord on my first build on my 6" leopard....lol. dollar store

it might be a pain in the butt, but i see the bunifit of bringing the "big wires" basically into the side of the pdb. it would make a lower profile than having the joint sit on top. my goal is to keep all that redness pretty. cool challenge for my first build but so much fun!

Lots of great advice here...

I think each person develops a style for what works best for them and adjust as they find/learn new tips and tricks.
Some do best with high heat which can reduce heat transfer by reducing the amount of time in contact, and you will likely want high heat for large heat sinks like power and ground which often have a lot of copper trying to keep the metal from getting to temp.
I think your joints are a little full but look electrically sound and would be fine. I think the pdb looks to be set up for an xt60 perpendicular mounted right on the board.

i feel you tech, once heated up... its an individual approach. it seems the metel works the same and it just depends on how ones speed or style applies the heat (give or take a few degrees).

practice is what makes it happen. you can't read/see this... gotta do it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz