Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Smart Batteries

MikeJin

Reaction score
I work at a drone startup called Rotoye at the Battery in Atlanta. I'm working on producing smart batteries for drones in both the racing and industrial fields, which would give you a real-time gauge of your battery levels kind of like your phone does, and I'd really appreciate your input. We are in the process of discovering the needs of the drone racing community and any specifications you have would greatly help us perfect our product. Thanks so much!

In addition to FPV I fly a DJI Phantom which uses smart batteries.

They give an accurate readout of their charge level, alerts when low, and you can set a time period (like 2-3 days) for when they will automatically discharge to a storage level so they are not stored full. They typically last 20-25 minutes.

Those are all nice features, however they are very big and expensive ($150 USD).

FPV freestyle and racing is usually under 5 minutes and batteries are not too expensive ($5 USD). Battery management is important but the impression I get from most is that pushing batteries a bit may shorten their lifespan but since the cost is not high it's a fair trade off.

I try to keep an eye on battery drain and when the "Low battery" warning comes on I start to land, but it's not the end of the world if I do an extra lap.

I'm sure others with a lot more experience can give you better advice. Good luck and let us know what you develop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax