Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Skill Progression...

coyote_dc5

Reaction score
Ok so I've had a few months with my TH2 which I've now mastered and have moved up a little to the freestyle version. It has such a different feel to it and things are happening much quicker now but I'm wanting to take my acro to the next level now. If you watch my vid and take in the area, could someone please advise on how i can progress my tricks to take things to the next level. Thanks in advance :)

Ok so I've had a few months with my TH2 which I've now mastered and have moved up a little to the freestyle version. It has such a different feel to it and things are happening much quicker now but I'm wanting to take my acro to the next level now. If you watch my vid and take in the area, could someone please advise on how i can progress my tricks to take things to the next level. Thanks in advance :)
You’re doing just fine, it’s just a matter of stick time and repeating over and over again those flips and rolls and bringing them into a smaller space as you get more confident. Nice place to fly, just watch out for the trees...
I live amongst many trees and am spending most of my flying looking for gaps and trying to smooth out my stick control. I’ve wrecked a couple of motors and a pile of props in the process but I’m getting there.
It’s not about the number of tricks I can do, it’s just getting out there flying and getting that stupid grin on my face!

If I'm doing half as good in a year I'll be a happy man, you are quite good with that little bird, congratulations!

Reactions: coyote_dc5
It's a tough hobby to grasp and improve i must admit. I remember seeing my first YouTube vids of the DRL guys and expert freestylers and thought to myself a few months and I'll be there haha they really make it look easy when so calm on the sticks. I'm finding it really hard to improve my game now so going to just concentrate on split S and power loops i think and go from there. Thanks for the kind words ?

I used to think, man, I'll never do that, let me get a Mavic instead, now I think , man, I'll never do that, let me get a Mavic instead :rolleyes:

I used to think, man, I'll never do that, let me get a Mavic instead, now I think , man, I'll never do that, let me get a Mavic instead :rolleyes:
We all think that in the beginning, that's normal. Don't give up, you'll get there.

Thank you for the positivity and empathy, I do believe I will just need a grassy field so I don't destroy my keads before their time, I already messed one up and I can't find the fix yet fortunaelly it's the cheap one, Only place I've been able to fly is the company lot and it is fully paved and not empty, so I have to be careful not to damage the cars and the quads against the pavement. I know I'll get there, little by little I am improving day by day, rather week by week, can't find the time to play every day nor the energy, after work I am pooped and really don't think flying in that after work stupor is a great idea. Thanks again, your words do give me incentive.

Thank you for the positivity and empathy, I do believe I will just need a grassy field so I don't destroy my keads before their time, I already messed one up and I can't find the fix yet fortunaelly it's the cheap one, Only place I've been able to fly is the company lot and it is fully paved and not empty, so I have to be careful not to damage the cars and the quads against the pavement. I know I'll get there, little by little I am improving day by day, rather week by week, can't find the time to play every day nor the energy, after work I am pooped and really don't think flying in that after work stupor is a great idea. Thanks again, your words do give me incentive.
Have you tried any of the simulators? You can do lots of crashing while learning without breaking anything...

Yeah DRL which I didn't really like, specially the training module and Velocidrone which I'm liking. I can actually do flips and stuff with it, but I haven't found a freestyle module where I don't have to follow a course, I don't want to practice racing I want to learn to fly first.

Yeah DRL which I didn't really like, specially the training module and Velocidrone which I'm liking. I can actually do flips and stuff with it, but I haven't found a freestyle module where I don't have to follow a course, I don't want to practice racing I want to learn to fly first.
LiftOff. You can do as much freestyling and flying around as you like, no gates.

I feel your pain. I have just fried my 2S goggle battery by trying to charge it together with a 4S.... That will teach me to not charge anything before my first coffee... :D

Velocidrone has gates and tracks, but you can fly anywhere that you want for freestyling. I fly in it all the time and never use the gates...
There is also a new addon in Velocidrone for tiny whoops that I really like. It also has gates but you can fly anywhere there as well.
Maybe consider getting a tiny whoop to fly around inside. They can handle lots of crashes without damage and are also good training and fun through the winter and on rainy days...

I have a Mobula 7 V2 that laid an egg and I haven't been able to fix it yet, have to try a couple of more things if not I'll have the eg scrambled when the frustration get's the best of me, but I ordered an Eachine US65 to replace it anyway. So yeah, I will be whooping it up.

I have a Mobula 7 V2 that laid an egg and I haven't been able to fix it yet, have to try a couple of more things if not I'll have the eg scrambled when the frustration get's the best of me, but I ordered an Eachine US65 to replace it anyway. So yeah, I will be whooping it up.
The US65 was my first whoop. I hope you have better luck than I had. There is a new version out that looks to be much better quality. The first pic is the new version and the second pic is the old model that I had. Mine came with a bad VTX (would fade to black 30 seconds after powering up) and the FC died shortly after. Only had half a dozen flights on it. I went through a month long runaround with Banggood who kept saying they sent me a replacement camera/vtx for it (which well over a year later it has still not arrived) and finally filed a claim with Paypal and eventually got my money back.

01.png

02.png

I'm really hoping you got the one in the top pic...

Sorry @coyote_dc5 for sort of hyjacking your thread...

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah I got the Pro which is the "new" version. I have my fingers crossed, if I have the same luck as with the Mobula I'm not going to be very happy

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3641
Here's my 2-cents but keep in mind I'm a "Micro/Mini" UAS newbie in terms of FPV.

I have found my "skills" grow the harder I push them. In order to improve my coordination etc I have to really challenge myself which of course also increases the level of risk (for the UAS). It's nice to be able to flip & roll etc you won't really hone your skills much doing that in wide open areas. Keep restricting yourself and forcing your fingers to be smoother and more precise on the sticks by challenging yourself with tighter and tighter flying areas but keep your "stunts" in the wide open areas for now. You mention you like to FreeStyle and avoid the gates etc but learning to maneuver through those gates faster and faster will help improve your overall flying skills.

Still keep practicing your loops & rolls but invest more time in more precision flying.

As an example (this is not a MultiRotor but RC Airplane story): I have a good friend who loves to BUILD & Fly RC planes. He designs, builds and flies them all from scratch (mind boggling really). But he only does "precision flying" 2x each flight... take-off and landing. The rest of the time he's burning holes in the skies or doing loops & rolls etc. Because he doesn't care to practice basic and precision flight skills he's a horrible pilot for the most part. He crashes at least 1x (significantly) every single day and often times he brings his planes home in a black trash bag to rebuild or scavenge for useful equipment for the next build. If he would learn to practice Take0ff and landing and get really good at it the rest of his flight performances would also improve and he'd crash a LOT less.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax