Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Servo Control Questions

tj272004

Reaction score
So I am trying to control a DC motor on my APM (it's an arduino based flight controller) and I was wondering if I could control that by using it almost like a servo. The problem is, the motor only has ground and power cables and not a signal cable, any ideas for being able to control it?

What do you mean by “control?” What are you trying to do with the motor? Just turn it on/off? Control it’s speed and direction?

By “DC motor,” I assume you mean that it’s a brushed motor rather than a brushless motor.

In any case, you will likely need another circuit between the DC motor and the controller. Don’t try to connect the motor directly to the controller. You won’t be happy with the results, which may include a burned out controller.

There are electronic on/off “switches” that you can buy to turn a heavy load like a DC motor on and off with an RC receiver or controller.

If you want to control the speed of the motor, you will need an electronic speed control (ESC) for brushed motors. ESCs have a signal wire that is designed to connect to controller and it’s the low voltage signal on that wire that controls the high voltage/current on the other two wires that feed the motor.

I don’t know if ESCs for brushed motors can reverse the motor. They may be able to, but I don’t know.

I think ESCs for brushed motors used to be used in boats. They may still be used in boats and robotics. If you are using a brushed motor, Google “ESC brushed motor.”

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufgatorvet