Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Second opinion on Drone Parts

Night Watcher

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, nice to meet you all :)

I am an electrical engineer and I am building my first racing drone.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to components often, but I have a trip to the US coming up and I am going to buy things from amazon.
I want to build a very fast drone that I want to script to do automated tasks. I am not looking for a complete beginner solution, neither an advanced one.
After doing a lot of research I came up with the following parts list:
  • Team Blacksheep TBS Unify Pro32 HV (MMCX)
  • EUDAX Super Loud 5V Active Alarm Buzzer Beeper Tracker 9X5.5mm for FPV Racing Drone RC Quadcopter PDB Flight Control (6 PCS)
  • Anbee FPV 5.8Ghz Circular Polarized Clover Leaf Antenna High Gain Aerial Set RP-SMA Female Plug
  • iFlight 150mm 2.4G Receiver Antenna Generation 4 RF113 (Smaller) IPEX Port for Latest FrSky X4R-SB Receiver and Remote Controller (Pack of 20pcs)
  • FrSky Transmitter Q X7 FCX07 Li/NiMH Dual Mode Battery Charger
  • FrSky 2000mAh 7.2V NiMH AA Battery Pack for Taranis Q X7 Transmitter
  • 4pcs Matek System 5V WS2812 Programmable FPV LED Strip for Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame Multirotor QAV210 ZMR250 QAV180 ZMR180 250 210 Stretch X Martain FPV Racing Quadcopter Drone
  • FPVDrone RTF Flight Data Recorder (CLEANFLIGHT) UAV Running Data Logger Module for F3 CC3D EVO Flight Control Flash Micro SD
  • Flyduino KISS FC V2 - 32bit Flight Controller
  • GoolRC Gimbal FPV Camera Mount with Anti Vibration Plate for DJI Phantom Walkera Qr X350 Gopro Hero 3 3+ 4 CF Carbon Fiber
  • FrSky R-XSR Ultra SBUS/CPPM D16 16CH Mini Redundancy Receiver 1.5g for RC Multirotor FPV Racing Drone
  • FrSky 2.4G Accst Taranis Q X7 16 Channels Transmitter Remote Controller Black Battery and Battery Trays Not Include
  • HOBBYMATE XT60 PDB Power Distribution Board - Support 3-6S Input, 5V/12V Output Support The LC Filter, w/Current Sensor
  • 5'' Lawson FPV Battle Axe Freestyle Frame 250mm 5 Inch Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame Kit Multi Configuration
  • 10 pair HQ Prop DP 5x4.8x3 V1S Tri-Blade 3 Blade Propellers Props for FPV Racing Black
  • Crazepony 4pcs EMAX RS2205 2600KV Brushless Motor 3-4S 2CW 2CCW for QAV250 QAV300 FPV Racing Drone Quadcopter
  • Runcam Racer 2 - 4:3 Micro FPV Camera - 1.8mm FPV Drone Racing
  • Crazepony WinDragon WiFi ESC Programmer Support 20A- 130A Electronic Speed Controller Programmer Module for RC Airplane ESC Fixed Wing Aircraft ESC
  • 4pcs Original FVT LittleBee BLHeli_S Spring ESC DSHOT 30A OPTO Electronic Speed Controller 2-6S Brushless for FPV Multicopter Quadcopter by Crazepony (BLHeli_S 30A DSHOT)
  • Crazepony F3 Deluxe Flight Controller 10DOF Cleanflight with Brano and Compass for FPV Multicopter Quadcopter Supported Oneshot ESC with Case
P.S. I already own a 2200 mah 4S battery and charger.

I would appreciate it if you can double-check that all of these components are compatible.
This easily hit the 600$ budget, which might a bit too much. Can you help me reduce the cost by 100-200$? (Replacement have to be available from amazon.com)

There really is no such thing as an FPV quad that can do autonomous flight, the closest thing to it includes a GPS puck and running INAV, but it is not a solution that will work well. If you want to do autonomous flight you would be better to stick with a DJI and run it through a program called Litchi.

There are some incompatibilities in your parts list...
The Unify Pro is MMCX connector and your cloverleaf is an RP-SMA, those are 2 different things and will not mate together.
You call out a KISS FC and a Crazypony FC, you cannot run 2 FC's in one quad.
There are a number of extraneous parts called out that are not needed, like the Wifi ESC Programmer, extra RX antennas, and IMHO the flight data recorder.

Reactions: rtkDarling
Thank you for the response :)
I did modify the component list a bit since I wrote this post.
I had 2 FC because I wasn't sure which one is better, eventually, I swapped both for a HolyBro Kakute F4 V2.
For the Team Blacksheep TBS Unify PRO Race 2, even if I get a connector it wouldn't be compatible? any antenna you recommend?
I agree regarding the extra parts you mentioned.

For autonomous, maybe if I connect an Arduino to the FC and send commands somehow?

There are some really smart and creative engineers in this hobby, I feel like if autonomous was that easy with off the shelf parts, we would see more of it out there in the wild. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying it will be much more of a challenge, and "connect an Arduino to the FC and send commands somehow" is likely not a solution. Look at what they have accomplished with the DRL AIRR program with millions spent already, I don't think we hobbyists can achieve that with a few thousand dollars.

You can get an MMCX to RP-SMA pigtail for your antenna, that isn't a problem, I just didn't see one in your parts list.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax