Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

Second opinion on Drone Parts

Night Watcher

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, nice to meet you all :)

I am an electrical engineer and I am building my first racing drone.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to components often, but I have a trip to the US coming up and I am going to buy things from amazon.
I want to build a very fast drone that I want to script to do automated tasks. I am not looking for a complete beginner solution, neither an advanced one.
After doing a lot of research I came up with the following parts list:
  • Team Blacksheep TBS Unify Pro32 HV (MMCX)
  • EUDAX Super Loud 5V Active Alarm Buzzer Beeper Tracker 9X5.5mm for FPV Racing Drone RC Quadcopter PDB Flight Control (6 PCS)
  • Anbee FPV 5.8Ghz Circular Polarized Clover Leaf Antenna High Gain Aerial Set RP-SMA Female Plug
  • iFlight 150mm 2.4G Receiver Antenna Generation 4 RF113 (Smaller) IPEX Port for Latest FrSky X4R-SB Receiver and Remote Controller (Pack of 20pcs)
  • FrSky Transmitter Q X7 FCX07 Li/NiMH Dual Mode Battery Charger
  • FrSky 2000mAh 7.2V NiMH AA Battery Pack for Taranis Q X7 Transmitter
  • 4pcs Matek System 5V WS2812 Programmable FPV LED Strip for Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame Multirotor QAV210 ZMR250 QAV180 ZMR180 250 210 Stretch X Martain FPV Racing Quadcopter Drone
  • FPVDrone RTF Flight Data Recorder (CLEANFLIGHT) UAV Running Data Logger Module for F3 CC3D EVO Flight Control Flash Micro SD
  • Flyduino KISS FC V2 - 32bit Flight Controller
  • GoolRC Gimbal FPV Camera Mount with Anti Vibration Plate for DJI Phantom Walkera Qr X350 Gopro Hero 3 3+ 4 CF Carbon Fiber
  • FrSky R-XSR Ultra SBUS/CPPM D16 16CH Mini Redundancy Receiver 1.5g for RC Multirotor FPV Racing Drone
  • FrSky 2.4G Accst Taranis Q X7 16 Channels Transmitter Remote Controller Black Battery and Battery Trays Not Include
  • HOBBYMATE XT60 PDB Power Distribution Board - Support 3-6S Input, 5V/12V Output Support The LC Filter, w/Current Sensor
  • 5'' Lawson FPV Battle Axe Freestyle Frame 250mm 5 Inch Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame Kit Multi Configuration
  • 10 pair HQ Prop DP 5x4.8x3 V1S Tri-Blade 3 Blade Propellers Props for FPV Racing Black
  • Crazepony 4pcs EMAX RS2205 2600KV Brushless Motor 3-4S 2CW 2CCW for QAV250 QAV300 FPV Racing Drone Quadcopter
  • Runcam Racer 2 - 4:3 Micro FPV Camera - 1.8mm FPV Drone Racing
  • Crazepony WinDragon WiFi ESC Programmer Support 20A- 130A Electronic Speed Controller Programmer Module for RC Airplane ESC Fixed Wing Aircraft ESC
  • 4pcs Original FVT LittleBee BLHeli_S Spring ESC DSHOT 30A OPTO Electronic Speed Controller 2-6S Brushless for FPV Multicopter Quadcopter by Crazepony (BLHeli_S 30A DSHOT)
  • Crazepony F3 Deluxe Flight Controller 10DOF Cleanflight with Brano and Compass for FPV Multicopter Quadcopter Supported Oneshot ESC with Case
P.S. I already own a 2200 mah 4S battery and charger.

I would appreciate it if you can double-check that all of these components are compatible.
This easily hit the 600$ budget, which might a bit too much. Can you help me reduce the cost by 100-200$? (Replacement have to be available from amazon.com)

HighTechPauper

Staff member
Reaction score
There really is no such thing as an FPV quad that can do autonomous flight, the closest thing to it includes a GPS puck and running INAV, but it is not a solution that will work well. If you want to do autonomous flight you would be better to stick with a DJI and run it through a program called Litchi.

There are some incompatibilities in your parts list...
The Unify Pro is MMCX connector and your cloverleaf is an RP-SMA, those are 2 different things and will not mate together.
You call out a KISS FC and a Crazypony FC, you cannot run 2 FC's in one quad.
There are a number of extraneous parts called out that are not needed, like the Wifi ESC Programmer, extra RX antennas, and IMHO the flight data recorder.

Reactions: rtkDarling

Night Watcher

Reaction score
Thank you for the response :)
I did modify the component list a bit since I wrote this post.
I had 2 FC because I wasn't sure which one is better, eventually, I swapped both for a HolyBro Kakute F4 V2.
For the Team Blacksheep TBS Unify PRO Race 2, even if I get a connector it wouldn't be compatible? any antenna you recommend?
I agree regarding the extra parts you mentioned.

For autonomous, maybe if I connect an Arduino to the FC and send commands somehow?

HighTechPauper

Staff member
Reaction score
There are some really smart and creative engineers in this hobby, I feel like if autonomous was that easy with off the shelf parts, we would see more of it out there in the wild. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying it will be much more of a challenge, and "connect an Arduino to the FC and send commands somehow" is likely not a solution. Look at what they have accomplished with the DRL AIRR program with millions spent already, I don't think we hobbyists can achieve that with a few thousand dollars.

You can get an MMCX to RP-SMA pigtail for your antenna, that isn't a problem, I just didn't see one in your parts list.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpz